Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
Results 501 to 550 of 598

Thread: Tripods & Triplanes - An invasion from Mars

  1. #501

    Default

    Keep in mind to get the add ons you HAVE to purchase the base set
    Actually you don't. I asked whether it was possible to "pledge without a reward" and add extra funds to buy add-ons and was told "yes".

    Very happy as it means I can get the N16s without having to get the tripods which TBH don't float my boat.

  2. #502

    Default

    Pretty sure Navarre comes in the base game and is not available as an add-on.

  3. #503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Staakens and HP 0/400s toting heat rays.........

    And how'n'ell're they *powering* them?

  4. #504

    Default

    Maybe, but ones better than none

  5. #505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And how'n'ell're they *powering* them?
    Arc reactors, obviously

  6. #506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I guess my previous comments have not been clear.

    Desired Backer Option Scenario:

    Pledge $45 or more
    Martian
    INCLUDES:
    Tripods & Triplanes Starter Set
    All unlocked "Martian" stretch goals.

    Add On (example)
    $25
    WWII Components+Airplane
    Choice: Spitfire or 109

    Total: backer amount including Martian and add-on $70

    I am not advocating this for my benefit. It will not cost anything and provides an additional entry point. I do not see why anyone would argue against this...
    Ares already pointed out (specifically to you) that you can get those planes right now. No additional entry point is provided and the money doesnít really go to the project, it just supports existing inventory - it isnít kickstarting a project, it is just a point of sales.

  7. #507


    Users Country Flag


    Name
    John
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Sorties Flown
    70
    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Ares already pointed out (specifically to you) that you can get those planes right now. No additional entry point is provided and the money doesn’t really go to the project, it just supports existing inventory - it isn’t kickstarting a project, it is just a point of sales.
    That's true, but if you're wanting to start playing the game letting you buy it all at once, from the same place is much more convenient than picking up bits from different places, to the outsider the game has a bewildering number of options. If I'm new, I just want to buy some things that will work together. It's fine for us to know that any three fighters and the starter set will set you up but it would be reasonable for an outsider to be worry that they need a bomber, or that they should all be the same type or different types. Or what if they're only going to be balanced if...

    There are a huge number of planes out there, we know the differences are generally pretty subtle in the scheme of things, but make it easy for someone coming to the game for the first time to buy and even just save paying postage once. At least recommend some good starter WW2 planes.

  8. #508

    Default

    Just added some $$$ to my pledge so that I could get some of the add-ons...looking forward to seeing what else might come of this

    While my main focus is (and always will be) the Light Side of the game, the Dark Side beckons occasionally, and I have purchased a number of WWII planes - no where NEAR as many as WWI, but I do have some...I was even looking around online yesterday for suitable flying saucers for WW2 and after. Someone somewhere mentioned F-86s and Mig-15s - AIM makes some, and they'd be way cool to use in a post-WW2 sort of scenario...

    I have to say I look forward to whatever Ares puts out to go with this supplement to the main game (T&T being the supplement, and Wings being the main game...)

    All the best,
    Matt

  9. #509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
    Ares already pointed out (specifically to you) that you can get those planes right now. No additional entry point is provided and the money doesnít really go to the project, it just supports existing inventory - it isnít kickstarting a project, it is just a point of sales.
    You are ignoring the totality of my comments:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I have backed 59 successful KS projects and a handful more that failed. I have not seen a KS offer an incomplete add-on like the WWII stretch goal. While you technically do not NEED anything else if you are an existing player, a new customer will need at least one airplane to take advantage of the counter set. Telling a potential customer that they will need to find an essential component on their own is a bad business decision. But like I wrote above, there is a disconnect with this concept and I am not going to continue to argue with "Ares" about it on the KS Comments section. From another thread Ares claims to have in house stock. Well then, why not push some product with a $25 Add-on level that includes the WWII components and one of the recently released BoB fighters. Because of the available sticker mods even an existing collector like myself would go for that and it provides a COMPLETE point of entry for a new player. Did Giants of the Sky require any 'find it yourself' purchases to create a complete play experience for a new player? No plane meant no significant stretch goal bump.
    I am done explaining this very simple concept...

    If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to do so from the neck up instead of from the neck down.

  10. #510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Just added some $$$ to my pledge so that I could get some of the add-ons...looking forward to seeing what else might come of this

    While my main focus is (and always will be) the Light Side of the game, the Dark Side beckons occasionally, and I have purchased a number of WWII planes - no where NEAR as many as WWI, but I do have some...I was even looking around online yesterday for suitable flying saucers for WW2 and after. Someone somewhere mentioned F-86s and Mig-15s - AIM makes some, and they'd be way cool to use in a post-WW2 sort of scenario...


    I have to say I look forward to whatever Ares puts out to go with this supplement to the main game (T&T being the supplement, and Wings being the main game...)

    All the best,
    Matt
    I must confess I am getting super excited about 3&3 as I have never been about any previous WoG expansion so far (not to mention almost non-playable Lancasters...).
    ARES should IMHO expand this universe adding more tripod models and Earthling units (HMS "Thunderchild", ARES please!!!).
    The expansion would go easily into 20-ies or...30-ies with a wide range of new biplanes...Hawker Fury...Freccia...He-51...I-153...just dreamin'...
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  11. #511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    You are ignoring the totality of my comments:

    I am done explaining this very simple concept...
    Actually, I was pointing out you were ignoring the totality of Ares comments.

    Beating a dead horse is a reflection of the one doing the beating, not the one pointing out the futility of the action, but I can see that I am beating...well...you know. ;-)

  12. #512

    Default

    I was pointing out that I was not. Ares is ignoring reality. No model, no backer. The financial numbers support my claim.
    Last edited by Tokhuah; 12-06-2017 at 16:42. Reason: Removed self from thread subscription. Will no longer view or comment in this thread.

    If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to do so from the neck up instead of from the neck down.

  13. #513

    Default

    I like the way you're thinking, Andy! I'm glad this is generating renewed interest in Ares and its 'historical' products. I hope things move forward in a positive direction - certainly there are many of us looking forward to the future of Wings WWI/WWII...

    Have a single malt on me, Andy!

    All the best,
    Matt

  14. #514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    I was pointing out that I was not. Ares is ignoring reality. No model, no backer. The financial numbers support my claim.
    I take it you are not done, despite the promise. ;-)

    You weren’t pointing out you were not ignoring what Ares had to say, you were claiming I ignored what you had to say (I didn’t). You then hand-waved away what I had to say without any form of substantive response at all. Which is were I will leave this - you want to complain regardless of what is said, so it is probably best to leave you to it.

  15. #515

    Default

    We seem to be rehashing the same point from every possable angle...time for some new add ons to distract us.

  16. #516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    We seem to be rehashing the same point from every possable angle...time for some new add ons to distract us.
    ^^^^^
    What he said.
    ”Let’s not argue about ‘oo killed ‘oo ...”
    - Python, Monty
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 12-06-2017 at 23:35.

  17. #517

    Default

    Looks like we just broke the 53K stretch goal...

    All the best,
    Matt

  18. #518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Looks like we just broke the 53K stretch goal...

    All the best,
    Matt
    I tried to time my add-on money to break the barrier, but I was too late. Cubes. Nice but not exciting. Still, good to have. Next is...terrain pieces.

  19. #519

  20. #520

    Default

    Wonder if after the dust settles they will put an expansion Box out for WWII All the cards and bits, flying Martian, and ME 262. Call it Martians and Messerschmitts?

  21. #521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Wonder if after the dust settles they will put an expansion Box out for WWII All the cards and bits, flying Martian, and ME 262. Call it Martians and Messerschmitts?
    Good idea. WW2 should really be separate box/game. UFOs instead of tripods. Set it in late war, story that Germany captured a UFO so they have all those advanced experimental rocket and jet aircraft. You can then have 3 way fights between allies, germans, and aliens.

  22. #522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I like the way you're thinking, Andy! I'm glad this is generating renewed interest in Ares and its 'historical' products. I hope things move forward in a positive direction - certainly there are many of us looking forward to the future of Wings WWI/WWII...

    Have a single malt on me, Andy!

    All the best,
    Matt
    You devil, how could you know I was having a glass of single malt while posting?!
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  23. #523

    Default

    I knew you were partial to a wee dram now and again, Andrzej, my friend...just a lucky chance you'd be partaking at the time...

    Looks like they've added the third and fourth Tripods as add-ons - I shall have to up my pledge to factor them into the mix. The Cuttlefish (MkIV) looks quite imposing, but I think I like the MkIII better - the Squid looks really fun

    I imagine these will help drive the pledged amounts a bit higher...

    All the best,
    Matt

  24. #524

    Default

    Has someone play tested these four Martian units? I have a question.

  25. #525

    Default

    They now have the squid and cuttlefish tripods up for add-ons. I am wondering if they could offer some reprints of earlier planes as add-ons. I have just started playing and some of the planes are very difficult to get now.

  26. #526

    Default

    I wasn't really thinking of getting into this. I don't need another collectible game but if it's a one time purchase then perhaps I might get it.

    But I'm trying to think of what would be a good squad of Martians. What to get on that one-time purchase that has a good mix and decent number of figures.

    I was thinking 2 x Mk I and 1 x Mk II as a good squad to go against. Of course it would be hard. Of course you may only need one Mk IV. But how many Mk IIIs?


    Any thoughts on squad building for Martians from anyone who's tried this?

  27. #527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I knew you were partial to a wee dram now and again, Andrzej, my friend...just a lucky chance you'd be partaking at the time...

    Looks like they've added the third and fourth Tripods as add-ons - I shall have to up my pledge to factor them into the mix. The Cuttlefish (MkIV) looks quite imposing, but I think I like the MkIII better - the Squid looks really fun

    I imagine these will help drive the pledged amounts a bit higher...

    All the best,
    Matt
    UUUULLLAAAAA!
    1 Squid and 1 Cuttlefish added to the pledge. Resistance is futile.
    The Earth belongs to the Martians.
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  28. #528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    UUUULLLAAAAA!
    1 Squid and 1 Cuttlefish added to the pledge. Resistance is futile.
    The Earth belongs to the Martians.
    Watching my pledge go higher...currently resisting a second squidie (oh no, the Matrix has me) and a Cuttlefish. This whole spend money on myself right before Christmas was badly timed. :-(

  29. #529

    Default

    It's a shame that this doesn't combine with any ground units. A few, not even that many, tanks, artillery and cannons, and troops would be an awesome addition.

  30. #530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    It's a shame that this doesn't combine with any ground units. A few, not even that many, tanks, artillery and cannons, and troops would be an awesome addition.
    Second that. It opens a wide range of options for future expansions. WoG may then turn into a new tabletop Wings of Glory of the War of the Worlds wargame. Why not? Shut up and take my money, ARES!
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  31. #531

    Default

    My next personal goals are to add the Mark 111 Squid and Cuttlefish models to my pledge.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  32. #532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Second that. It opens a wide range of options for future expansions. WoG may then turn into a new tabletop Wings of Glory of the War of the Worlds wargame. Why not? Shut up and take my money, ARES!
    I think I'd be happy with just one type of tank, artillery, cannon and troops. I know this can easily be turned into another collectible. But good air combat with ground support would seriously round this out. Using only one type of each ground force would allow for simple rules. Then, if there is interest, they could expand units. But a core would allow people to have combined forces without committing to large numbers of various units. Then, there would be no debate if I was getting this or not.

  33. #533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    My next personal goals are to add the Mark 111 Squid and Cuttlefish models to my pledge.
    Rob.
    Will do this tomorrow.

    This pushes us more forward to the Kissenbert Camel!
    Voilŗ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

  34. #534

    Default

    I made a pledge for the 3 ugly Martian things only as I have the two balloons with the Nieuports included. Then I thought .... balloons spotting for arty against Martians?

  35. #535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Will do this tomorrow.

    This pushes us more forward to the Kissenbert Camel!
    Imagine Kissenberth and Ball fighting a tripod near Douai! Epic!
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  36. #536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I made a pledge for the 3 ugly Martian things only as I have the two balloons with the Nieuports included. Then I thought .... balloons spotting for arty against Martians?
    Interesting idea

  37. #537

    Default

    When you look at it logically, the Martians don't stand a chance even with advanced technology. The worlds resources pitted against them when it takes many months to reinforce from Mars.

    Read Britain vs the American Colonies and allies.

    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

  38. #538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    When you look at it logically, the Martians don't stand a chance even with advanced technology. The worlds resources pitted against them when it takes many months to reinforce from Mars.

    Read Britain vs the American Colonies and allies.

    Rob.
    Good point, Rob. But too realistic, while we ride high on emotions .
    When it comes to beatufiul figures on a table and emotions, we all sacrifice logic for a great deal of fun.
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  39. #539

    Default

    Having declared no interest in this Kickstarter on account of not really wanting tripods, I came to an accord tonight with a friend and Sci Fi fanatic, whereby he wants the tripods but not the planes. Therefore I have signed up for the KS, I will get the planes and he will get the silly stuff. Win, win.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  40. #540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Having declared no interest in this Kickstarter on account of not really wanting tripods, I came to an accord tonight with a friend and Sci Fi fanatic, whereby he wants the tripods but not the planes. Therefore I have signed up for the KS, I will get the planes and he will get the silly stuff. Win, win.
    This way you help all of us getting Kissenberth's Camel, Steve!
    We owe you a drink.
    Silly stuff! Hmmm... we will have to live with that!
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  41. #541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post

    We owe you a drink.
    Iíve heard that one before
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

  42. #542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    UUUULLLAAAAA!
    1 Squid and 1 Cuttlefish added to the pledge. Resistance is futile.
    The Earth belongs to the Martians.
    Well here goes another bump up in my pledge! Squid and Cuttlefish, what's next?

  43. #543

    Default

    Next is the heatray that's gonna melt our wallets, Peter!
    <img src=http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2554&dateline=1409073309 border=0 alt= />
    "We do not stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing."

  44. #544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Next is the heatray that's gonna melt our wallets, Peter!
    My cc is already smoldering!

  45. #545

    Default

    I'm really glad they've released the Cuttlefish! That thing looks awesome

    I've increased my pledge to cover adding all the add-ons except the Rookie Pack (I've got all those planes, and then some, already).

    I'm really excited about the prospect of this game! The new dimensions the tripods will add are going to be most interesting. I hope to playtest the preview rules soon.

  46. #546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Well here goes another bump up in my pledge! Squid and Cuttlefish, what's next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Next is the heatray that's gonna melt our wallets, Peter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    My cc is already smoldering!
    I now need two more jobs. One to pay for the Tripods, and one for the divorce lawyer and alimony.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

  47. #547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    When you look at it logically, the Martians don't stand a chance even with advanced technology. The worlds resources pitted against them when it takes many months to reinforce from Mars.

    Read Britain vs the American Colonies and allies.

    Rob.
    European colonists v native Americans?
    Spanish colonists in South America?
    etc.

  48. #548

    Default

    I wonder if our local Elf herder has them sketching out plans for the Martian mothership yet.

  49. #549

    Default

    The Martians have made the classic mistake of invaders in science fiction - they have landed where the opposition is strongest. If they had landed in a remote region, they could have built up a hugh force before engaging the Earth defenders.

  50. #550

    Default

    Bumped mine up to include the Mk.III and Mk.IV (Hmmmm ... sounds like PzKw designations )
    Haven't included money for the WWII counters yet.
    Looks like we are close to getting Kissenberth's Kamel.


Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast


Similar Missions

  1. AAR PTO Mission 3: Invasion of Malaya 1941/1942 - teaticket
    By Teaticket in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-24-2016, 14:58
  2. AAR: PTO 3: Invasion of Malaya
    By Warhawk in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-06-2016, 16:39
  3. The World of Thalia - The Planets of Humanity: Mars
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 15:46
  4. BRF Invasion of Malaya 1941/1942
    By Marechallannes in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 11:00
  5. A vintage taste for your deep-fried Mars Bar!
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 14:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •