Ares Games

Thread: Most epic campaign ever

Default Most epic campaign ever

Hello.

Can you please share here memories of which campaign you think have been the most epic ever? General descrioptions and/or specific anecdotes on single episodes?

I vaguely remember a campaign in Australia going opn from 2006 to 2008 to simulate in real time from 1916 to 1918, and the intent to make another from 2009 to 2015 to simulate from 1939 to 1945. Anyone can confirm and give details?

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Hello.

Can you please share here memories of which campaign you think have been the most epic ever? General descrioptions and/or specific anecdotes on single episodes?

I vaguely remember a campaign in Australia going opn from 2006 to 2008 to simulate in real time from 1916 to 1918, and the intent to make another from 2009 to 2015 to simulate from 1939 to 1945. Anyone can confirm and give details?

Thanks so much.
    Hi Andrea,

Are you thinking of the WGF campaign we ran in Brisbane in 2009-2010?

I used a yahoo group to coordinate the action. The group is still up but has not been used for some time - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/briswingsofwar/info.

The intro page was as follows:

Welcome to Brisbane Wings of War Campaigns !

Wings of War and sister game Dawn of War by Nexus Games model aerial combat during the First and Second World Wars.

This group has been established to facilitate and coordinate the conduct of Wings of War campaign games for players in the Brisbane metropolitan area.

WW1 - On 29/3/09 we commenced a Wings of War 1917-1918 Western Front Campaign. The campaign progresses month by month with real time March 2009 being played as March 1917, April 2009 as April 1917, and so on. The campaign will conclude in November 2010 (November 1918 game calendar). Players generate pilot personas in the 'database' section who fly with Royal Flying Corps (RFC) squadrons or Luftstreitkräfte (German Air Force) Staffeln. You can choose to fly a single seat fighter or pilot a two seater aircraft. Each player can generate and play more than one pilot, and even field pilots on both sides if they wish (not at the same time though!). Pilots will progress using a custom campaign ruleset which is uploaded to the files section.

WW2 - In the future we will be running a series of linked WW2 mini-campaigns, starting with the Battle of France 1940. As for the WW1 campaign, players can generate pilots flying with the Luftwaffe, RAF or the French Armee del'Air. More on this campaign soon.

Good luck chaps, or Hals und Beinbruch meinen Herrn!

Moderator: Carl Rohweder

Playing Venues:
    Fastbreak Sports 1 Chapel Street Nundah, Tuesday nights from 6pm.
    Brisbane Indepedent Gamers Serbian Hall Vulture St South Brisbane, every 2nd Sunday of the month from 9.30am.
    QLD Dragons Wargames Club at the Toowong Bowls Club Gailey Road Taringa, every 3rd Sunday of the month from 9.30am.
    Underworld Games 201 Brisbane Street Ipswich, times vary.

The first post in March 2009 sets out the general outline of how the campaign was run:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BWoW.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	206940

The campaign recorded a total of 132 players running 728 pilots and observers. We flew 457 missions made of up of 1807 individual sorties. We used a flow chart to decide what type of missions would be flown:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mission Flowchart WW1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	206939

It was going really well until about the second half of 2010 when the Wings of War line was discontinued. With no new product players drifted away to other systems and I could not raise sufficient interest to sustain the WW2 campaign.

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 09-08-2016 at 20:42.

Dear Carl, thanks so much for organizing such an event. Amazing indeed. Yes this seems to be the campaign I remembered, even if I got wrong with the dates - I seemed to remember that last digit of the years matched.
    Numbers are really impressive. Congratulations.
    And yes, 2010 has been a sad year. Times were difficult and somebody actively worked against the publishing house and the game. That survived, with troubles... but you know the story. It is sad that all this stopped such a great gaming feast.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Dear Carl, thanks so much for organizing such an event. Amazing indeed. Yes this seems to be the campaign I remembered, even if I got wrong with the dates - I seemed to remember that last digit of the years matched.
    Numbers are really impressive. Congratulations.
    And yes, 2010 has been a sad year. Times were difficult and somebody actively worked against the publishing house and the game. That survived, with troubles... but you know the story. It is sad that all this stopped such a great gaming feast.
    We are all very pleased that Wings of War rose from the grave like a phoenix as Wings of Glory. I had considered re-launching a campaign like this because there are still many players out there with old collections, but with no stock on the shelves at bricks and mortar shops it is difficult to bring new players into the game.

That's an open wound. In this moment Ares Games has both the WW1 Rules Pack and the Duel Packs well in stock, and plenty of miniatures in the range - fighters, two-seaters, heavy bombers. Balloons seems to be reprinted soon. Mats, for people liking them, are increasing the range. WW2 is a bit in a stalemate but the Rules Pack is still available, new minis of famed planes of all sizes too, and as soon as the Battle of Britain set will be out we will have a good introductory set again.
    All main US distributors have all that. Why many brick & mortar shops don't, it's a problem that it is far out my little area of competence as a designer.

Of course, seeing such a campaign up again would be so great.

I might have another go at convincing some local shops to stock the line. With the re-release of Series 3 (in particular Albatros D.III, Nieuport 17, RE.8) I could start a fresh 1917-18 campaign next year to coincide with the Centenary. The solo campaigns against AI here on the forum are great but face to face play is much more enjoyable.

Similar Missions

1. Back from an Epic Event . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 17:37
  2. Saturday night epic fight
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 17:48
  3. Red Tails...... *Epic face palm*
    By Lord_Ninja in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 57