Ares Games

Thread: New Shapeways Feature: Variants

Default New Shapeways Feature: Variants

Shapeways has added a new feature that allows you to group multiple models of different scales under the same product! I think I like it, but I've only made experimental use of it so far for a pair of models (Bristol F.2A and F.2B) in 1/144 and 1/288.

Here are two links to new "multi-scale products".
    http://shpws.me/MDPX
    http://shpws.me/MDQ5

If anyone has a few minutes to spare, could you try the web pages out and let me know whether you like the products organized this way? Is it obvious how you select one scale or another, and one material or another? I'm reluctant to re-organize my entire line of miniatures if I'm not sure it's an improvement for gamers.

PS: As a side note, the "categories" of variants (such as scale) and the selections within each category are fixed, so I couldn't (for instance) create a single LVG C.II product with a Benz-engine variant and a Mercedes-engine variant.

Daryl, on the pages I see having an option of getting either one 1/144 or four 1/285 or four 1/288 with various material for each options as well. I think it is very easy to understand.

From what I've seen so far, it's good for singular models in different scales, but doesn't help in cases of multipacks.
    It's a step in the right direction, but not quite enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    From what I've seen so far, it's good for singular models in different scales, but doesn't help in cases of multipacks.
    It's a step in the right direction, but not quite enough yet.
    Multiples of the same scale would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Multiples of the same scale would be much appreciated.
    As in sales, or variant types? I do packs myself, but that's what is causing the issues with variants for me. Also as Daryl said, marks or versions would be nice to... So one page for Hurricanes, with drop downs for Mk.I, Mk.II etc, scale and multiples.

Similar Missions

1. Interesting new feature on the Aerodrome historical forum.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 16:27
  2. Messerschmitt BF 109E Variants
    By RiotInferno in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 13:28
  3. Site: New site feature
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 09:40
  4. repaint variants...