Ares Games

Thread: Finally got my son to play

Default Finally got my son to play

I finally got my son to play WoW. We did a one on one dogfight. He had an Albatros D.III and I had a Nieuport 17.

The battle was tense and exciting. And ended with the Nieuport going down while the Albatros had one point of health remaining.

My son was quite impressed with the game, and now he wants to play a campaign of some kind. I even heard him telling one of his friends that there's this "Really cool game" that he played.

Always good to get the kids involved... play time goes way up!

Nice one Bryan... another turned to the dark side !!
    My son is a slow burn wargamer but he's getting there. He likes Spacehulk & Ambush Alley but he's played a few WoW games now & is a very savvy pilot - last time out he dropped both my planes

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

@BryanR, How old is he? It seems with the people in my area, the older they are, the harder it is to get them to play
    Same thing happened with me and my dad, except I showed HIM the game, in an Albatros dropped his Camel with 1 point of health left.

Congrats with your son! Sign him up! I could surely use another junior pilot!

Awesome to hear, Bryan! Which D.III did he fly? Even my 4-year old knows how cool the Brumowski is!

My son is 16 years old. He is heavily into video games. He plays lead guitar in a Indie Rock band. He's taking 4 AP courses in High School (hard classes that give collage credit: Calculus, Physics, English, and US History) which means lots of homework. He's in various honor societies that take up his time as well as the occasional girlfriend. He's busier than I am. I think if he had more time, he would probably play WoW a lot more.

Luckily WoW is a game that is learned and played quickly. Unlike some of the other games we have tried, like Warhammer 40K (he has a Tau and Necron army), Warhammer fantasy (he has a Lizardmen Army), and Talisman (which takes forever to play). So I think WoW is a good avenue for some quality time when players have less time to devote to gaming.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

Bryan
    Obviously you are doing something right with your son with the description you have given.
    God bless you and keep it up
    trumpetman52

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    Awesome to hear, Bryan! Which D.III did he fly? Even my 4-year old knows how cool the Brumowski is!
    You really know you aeroplanes! It was the D.III Brumowski that got him hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    Yes even we 64 year old kids are trying to get our hands on a Brumowski.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I think WoW is the perfect cross over game (video to table top) because it IS easy to learn and master, it has a very personal competitive component much like the first person shooter games, and it can be a 3D game so they have to think in all three directions! What makes it better? no video screen, and real face to face interaction. Good Stuff All!

Great to hear, Bryan. Any time you can pull your son away from a video game and share some quality father/son time it's a very good thing. I hope you have many more hours of WOW adventures in the future.

Scott

Similar Missions

1. Finally...Pictures
    By gregbond77 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 15:55
  2. Finally took the "Giant" Plunge
    By afilter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 10:29
  3. The 1st balloon base is finally finished
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room