Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sashdash's cards

Default Sashdash's cards

I used them for my Goering Fokker DVII in a battle with a Felixstowe. They work very well and I found it easier to use the one card than to hunt through the whole deck. Writing down my movement numbers was no chore either. Great that you can carry every manoevre deck in one small packet. Highly recommend them.

What are these cards you speak of?

Sascha created some new maneuver deck cards. The whole deck of maneuvers is on one card. He calls the Mates as each deck mates to a certain maneuver deck. Find them in the Files-Custom Cards.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-22-2016 at 10:35.

BRILLIANT!!Thanks for sharing

I printed the double sided version and put them in sleeves.

Hi all
    I've looked in the files but can't find them. Any clues would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi all
    I've looked in the files but can't find them. Any clues would be appreciated.
    Here they are

Thanks Brian
    Located and downloaded. Salute!

GREAT WORK HERE. This is an amazing game aid. My hat off to you sir on this project

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock57 View Post
    GREAT WORK HERE. This is an amazing game aid. My hat off to you sir on this project
    All Sascha's work not mine. I think this is the best accessory to our game since the WoG solo app. Very clever people here are improving our playing experience all the time.

I think to keep the game honest you would need to have everyone write down the numbers of the three maneuvers they plan each turn. This way there can be no "errors" if you know what I mean.

Bravo Zulu,

a great game aide.

This is one of the best ideas in years.

Thanks
    Last edited by john snelling; 08-28-2016 at 11:26.

I am a new player just starting my WGF collection and Sascha's MATES cards are a great help to me.

Thank you Sascha for sharing this with the community.

Now all I need is a WGS version of MATES

Well, thank you all for the great compliments
    I'm so glad I could help this great community with my MATES.

The idea was to also make some MATES for WGS but I'm currently a bit short on time.
    So this project will have to wait a little. The MATES for WGS will also be a little more
    time-consuming, because of the two maneuver speeds.
    We will see...

Regards,
    Sascha

Hi Sascha
    Sticky back photo paper arrived this morning and made up my first set of MATES this afternoon.
    Used the folding variety and only did page one, A to H. Came out pretty good but still some refining needed with the card insert. Cut the card to exact size and forgot an allowance for the fold. Still, live and learn! Showed them to my playing buddies at our Wargame Club this evening and, like me ,they all thought them a great idea.
    Thanks again for presenting them via the Drome site.
    Reg

Repeat of a post here: Questions regarding WW2 Maneuver Decks

I was attempting to do up the Ares Wings of Glory A Maneuver Deck, as it is now different from the original Nexus Wings of War A Maneuver Deck.

I have four Nexus Spitfires, and want the extra 60 degree turns for all my planes. I did up a complete maneuver deck for any games I might play on a tabletop, but others may not want to print, cut and sleeve a bunch of decks. I thought the MATES project might help.

Latest work (dabbling, really) with WWII MATES maneuver decks:
    Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS A.jpg Views: 852 Size: 73.6 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

NOTE: The work is building on the graphics Sacha [Sashdash] provided to me for helping him with the WGF project. The Base work is all his.

The above is the first scratch at the surface of this, and it is already a mess. I started with the straights, and put in the 30 degree left/right, long/short turns, and then attempted to put in the 60 degree left turns. There are 45 degree turns, shallow and wide sideslips, stall and Immelmann maneuvers yet to be put into the cards.

There is an option of doing only short or long maneuvers per card, but that will be just as cluttered. So, a mix of short and long maneuvers per card, and it might take four sides to do a complicated deck, not two sides. And, that doesn't include the house rule climbing/diving turns, either.

My 'Full' A deck is 26 cards: Battle of Britain Squadron Packs - Hurricane, Spitfire, Bf109E and Ju87 Stuka - Post #129
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Latest work on the A Maneuver Deck (Battle of Britain 20 Card):

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS A CompAV2.jpg Views: 873 Size: 80.2 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS A CompBV2.jpg Views: 875 Size: 73.3 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

So, if you know the card numbers for each, this could work for B, E, F, G, H, and N decks? Need to check the decks...
    Mike

And, just trying out the options...

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS B CompBV2.jpg Views: 860 Size: 61.9 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS B CompAV2.jpg Views: 853 Size: 74.5 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-03-2017 at 13:40.
    Mike

These were very quick, because all the arrows were the same:

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS E CompAV2.jpg Views: 849 Size: 77.0 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Note: The Stall is also steep, but everyone knows that. However, the 'first' sideslip in the E deck is also steep, unlike the other decks where they aren't. I may have to consider redoing other decks, now that I've done this one.

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS E CompBV2.jpg Views: 848 Size: 61.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS G CompAV2.jpg Views: 877 Size: 71.3 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS G CompBV2.jpg Views: 863 Size: 61.9 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

All I had to do was change some numbers and letters on the template to make the above. The "F" Deck has almost the same cards, but the second sideslip is shorter. So, I have to redo some graphics to make it. And for all the other decks, there are more changes, so much more time.
    Mike

[Edit: H Deck removed - Errors!]

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS N CompAV2.jpg Views: 869 Size: 73.1 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Yes, the 'short' sideslips on this deck are different. This required a scan of the card, import into Illustrator, adjust the arrow and line, and then redo for the opposite side, and then renumber the guide. Not a cut&paste job, exactly.

Name:  MATES <acronym title=WGS N CompBV2.jpg Views: 868 Size: 56.8 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-04-2017 at 17:04.
    Mike

Well, I noticed an error on the H Deck sideslips, so I fixed them. Did up the C and F decks, too.

All the current WGS MATES decks are here: OldGuy59's WGS MATES Cards Album
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-06-2017 at 09:20.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Well, I noticed an error on the H Deck sideslips, so I fixed them. Did up the C and F decks, too.

All the current WGF MATES decks are here: OldGuy59's WGS MATES Cards Album
    Great work Mike!
    I'm glad you've found the time to work on the WGS MATES.
    I think you are right. 2 cards per maneuver deck are better for WGS.
    I really appreciate your work on the WGS Mates. Believe me I know how much time it takes.

Thank You!
    Sascha

L and M maneuver decks are in the WGS MATES Album. The last decks I have are the I and XA decks, which I might get to some time this week.

That will leave the fast planes and the other bomber decks for someone else, or for someone to send (DropBox) scans to me.
    Mike

A local play that I indoctrinated into this game has started buying some of her own planes. She isn't too stuck on the Battle of Britain, and I had some minis that I purchased at clearance prices from a Victoria store that I didn't want. She wanted the Spitfire Mk IX and the P-51, as well as the Dam Buster Lanc, and at 25% of retail, she could afford them.

Thanks to Kelsey, I have scans of the O, P and XD decks. O deck is now in my MATES WWII album, with the other two to follow.

NOTE: Needed to redo the entire template for the Fast cards. Gack!
    Mike

Last deck available to me is now up in the MATES WWII Album.

If anyone could PM me with even a photo of the different maneuvers in the Q, R, XB and XC decks, I might be able to get the rest done. For the maneuvers, I just need the straight, stall, one set of turns (one direction, only, as I can mirror the other side), and any sideslips (Again, only one side), and a complete list of the card numbers would help. Ensure that the photos are straight down over the cards, to keep the scale accurate.
    Mike

Magic work. What a boon for Shapeways pilots.

Mike pm me your email address again. I'll send the decks plus ver. 1 of the torpedo card.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Guess I missed it in getting this done, but the 'D' maneuver deck is now in the album, too.
    Mike

Postings are missing...

I have the 'J' and 'K' decks now, thanks to someone posting a sale notice at Miniature Market (although there is a better sale, now).

Sometime in the future, these will be posted up.

Until the Server Issues are resolved, I can't receive, nor send, emails. It appears that my Gold Membership status is not registering, which is seriously hobbling my actions on the Forum. Keith will sort it out.

Postings are missing...

I have the 'J' and 'K' decks now, thanks to someone posting a sale notice at Miniature Market (although there is a better sale, now).

Sometime in the future, these will be posted up.

Until the Server Issues are resolved, I can't receive, nor send, emails. It appears that my Gold Membership status is not registering, which is seriously hobbling my actions on the Forum. Keith will sort it out.
    J Deck is up, and I have scanned K, so it will follow shortly.
    Mike

K Deck done. Last of the standard decks is 'I', and that might be up next week.
    Mike

K Deck done. Last of the standard decks is 'I', and that might be up next week.
    "I" Deck is now done. And, it isn't until you do something like this, that I noticed that the Dive Bombing cards are NOT Stalls. They are actually a shorter length!
    Mike

"I" Deck is now done. And, it isn't until you do something like this, that I noticed that the Dive Bombing cards are NOT Stalls. They are actually a shorter length!
    Huh. Never realized. Thanks, Mike, both for the cards and the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Huh. Never realized. Thanks, Mike, both for the cards and the insight!
    Oops.

It's only the Climb arrow that's different in the 'I' Deck. The Dive Bomb (Vertical Dive?) and the Stall are the same. Most decks, the Stall and Climb are the same length. Also, the normal Dive card in most decks are Steep maneuvers. Not in the 'I' Deck, and it has two Dive cards, in addition to the two non-Steep Dive Bomb cards. So, an 'I' Deck plane could dive four times in a row and not use the same card.
    Mike

Every WWII deck, except the XC deck, is now in the album.

I will have to go back and check them all for minor corrections and to ensure I followed the same typography for all. I discovered that I didn't mark all the Climb/Dive arrows with Steep Red, and some of the Climb/Dive numbers might be reversed. Not big errors, but if someone is checking numbers, there could be issues.
    Mike

All WGS Decks are now in the album! Thanks to Miniature Market for the J and K decks, Kelsey (a local gamer) for lending me decks of a few planes, Sashdash and Teaticket for scans of the remaining ones I didn't have.

They are all in this album: OldGuy59's WGS MATES Cards Album
    Mike

Played a solo game with these and the WoG app on my tablet. Made the game go significantly faster.

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Played a solo game with these and the WoG app on my tablet. Made the game go significantly faster.
    Exactly. One of the reasons I wanted to help with this project. Glad they are working for you.
    Mike

Working very well, thank you. Want to do a few more games. Makes it practical now for me to run a 3. v. 3. when I get home from work in the evening. Wanted to do a solo campaign but the setup and play time of a solo game always put me off.

I wonder where you could get these printed at the correct size?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I wonder where you could get these printed at the correct size?
    I suspect you are considering "professional" printing, on similar card to Ares cards?

The WGS Damage Deck project was done using a commercial online company in China, for around $8 USD per deck. That might work for the MATES II cards, except the Fast decks.

Want Damage Cards Instead of Chits - Post #106
    Mike

I suspect you are considering "professional" printing, on similar card to Ares cards?

The WGS Damage Deck project was done using a commercial online company in China, for around $8 USD per deck. That might work for the MATES II cards, except the Fast decks.

Want Damage Cards Instead of Chits - Post #106
    Yes, they're easy enough to print. But if I used them, something a little more durable with a nicer print would be nice.

All WGS Decks are now in the album! Thanks to Miniature Market for the J and K decks, Kelsey (a local gamer) for lending me decks of a few planes, Sashdash and Teaticket for scans of the remaining ones I didn't have.

They are all in this album: OldGuy59's WGS MATES Cards Album
    OK. I need some oversight by WGS players for this project. I now note that there are WGS maneuver decks down to "W"? Shows how much I attention I pay to the WGS version.

So, exactly how many more decks, past "R" are there? S, T, U, V, and W? Any more than that?
    Mike

OK. I need some oversight by WGS players for this project. I now note that there are WGS maneuver decks down to "W"? Shows how much I attention I pay to the WGS version.

So, exactly how many more decks, past "R" are there? S, T, U, V, and W? Any more than that?
    I do know S & T are used but after that I'm not sure as I'm not near my collection to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I do know S & T are used but after that I'm not sure as I'm not near my collection to check.
    Back to the Ares site, to check planes. This is what I could determine:

Messerschmitt Bf.109 K–4 uses the "S" deck.
    Republic P–47D Thunderbolt uses the "T" deck.
    Yokosuka D4Y Suisei, “Judy” uses the "V" deck.

I may have mis-read the "V" on my tablet as a "W". However, I can't find any plane on the site using the "U" deck. Interesting, no? Upcoming plane perhaps?
    Mike

Yokosuka D4Y1 / D4Y3 - V (W pro D4Y3) according to post #8:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...sed-minis-WWII

"He is wise who watches"

Back to the Ares site, to check planes. This is what I could determine:

Messerschmitt Bf.109 K–4 uses the "S" deck.
    Republic P–47D Thunderbolt uses the "T" deck.
    Yokosuka D4Y1 Suisei, “Judy” uses the "V" deck.
    Yokosuka D4Y3 Suisei, “Judy” uses the "W" deck. [Edit]

I may have mis-read the "V" on my tablet as a "W". However, I can't find any plane on the site using the "U" deck. Interesting, no? Upcoming plane perhaps?
    OK. So, it wasn't my tablet, nor my eyes, I didn't check all of the planes, each time.

Thanks, Dave.

Still looking for that "U" deck plane, though...
    Mike

Not found it either Mike - maybe it's assigned but not printed, perhaps to something that didn't make it to production yet...?

"He is wise who watches"

V and W decks now up, thanks to Peter [teaticket]. Just S and T left to do.

And U is still missing in action.

PS: Check the 'V' deck for that Immelmann. Is it actually longer than the long straight, or is that an artifact of the scan and import process I'm using. It is the only deck where the Immelmann is longer than the straights.
    Mike

As far as I can tell the V scan is good. Looks likes one that slipped past the editing eyes.

You have the S & T decks correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 15:51
  2. Cards?
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 11:58
  3. ACE CARDS.
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5