Ares Games

Thread: Card Protectors/Sleeves

Default Card Protectors/Sleeves

I was wondering what card protectors/sleeves you use and where I might be able to acquire them. All I find around me are poker sized and are too big.

THANK YOU!

Fantasy Flight used to make sleeves, but may have packed that in. Found these:

https://www.maydaygames.com/collecti...o-card-sleeves

Or perhaps these, from a very good card protector company:

http://www.ultrapro.com/product_info...oducts_id=1122
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hi Adam
    The above link for Mayday Games is a good source. https://www.maydaygames.com/collecti...o-card-sleeves

Go for the 'mini euro sleeve' but make sure you get the 'Premium' grade and not the 'Standard'; cost a little more but well worth the extra.
    I use these and they are perfect.

I have been getting most of mine from Mayday after someone posted here on the forum last year.
    As mentioned, get the premium mini Euro sleeve.
    Name:  Mini Euro Sleeve.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  28.6 KB

As a matter of fact, I just sleeved several hundred of my WGF A-B-C-D damage decks this weekend in prep for the latest OTT-BE mission.
    Their service is excellent.

I did get a few hundred Fantasy Flight sleeves from Keith a while back but the Aerodrome no longer carries them.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 08-21-2016 at 11:02. Reason: typo

ultrapro, swan,and mayday all make sleeves sized for standard wow/wog cards. personally i like the mayday games ones because all the others require a bit of trimming because theyre a bit too long. however the ultrapro appear to be the thickest so i use those on damage cards. standard magic the gathering sleeves fit the ww2 high performance fighter maneuver cards and ultrapro 65x100mm will fit ww1 bomber management and a/c cards and ww2 large fighter/2seater cards but are a bit tight.

Use this discount code on the Mayday site:

WOGAERODROME

That will save you $0.35 a pack on either their MDG-7045 100x Standard Thin Card Sleeves or their MDG-7079 50x Premium Thick Card Sleeves

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Use this discount code on the Mayday site:

WOGAERODROME

That will save you $0.35 a pack on either their MDG-7045 100x Standard Thin Card Sleeves or their MDG-7079 50x Premium Thick Card Sleeves
    Now he tells me ...

I used to like Mayday sleeves, but their recent sleeves were so inconsistent in quality (mainly too short, hence the cards weren't protected at the top). I switched to Arcane Tinmen's Board Game Sleeves -- pitch-perfect quality build, albeit slightly more expensive then Maydays.

What is the difference between the Mayday Standard and Premium sleeves?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    What is the difference between the Mayday Standard and Premium sleeves?
    The premium sleeves are "125% thicker" according to the package. Premium come 50 to a pack rather than 100 for the standard, and a pack is about the same price. I much prefer the premium sleeves. I've always bought the premium sleeves until one day I tried one pack of the standard sleeves just to see if they were good enough, and I didn't like them. The premium sleeves have a bit of stiffness to them that makes handling much easier in my opinion.

I've liked the mayday sleeves, mainly because they were much less expensive at Miniature Market. I've had a little bit of issue with inconsistent sizing but mine have never been too short. Miniature Market recently stopped carrying Mayday though so my last order was their new line called 'Game Plus Products'. They told me that they were thicker like the mayday premium sleeves. I haven't received the order yet so I can't compare them.

If price is no object you can get these for your full size cards:

British Flag (sample)

The USA and British versions have not been "updated" like the German and Japanese flags, which are now stripes and a dot rather than swastika and rising sun.

Personally, if a game is premium quality I sleeve with FFG. I use nothing but their line for WoG:

Mini Euro Board Game Size

Standard Card Game Size

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    The premium sleeves are "125% thicker" according to the package. Premium come 50 to a pack rather than 100 for the standard, and a pack is about the same price. I much prefer the premium sleeves. I've always bought the premium sleeves until one day I tried one pack of the standard sleeves just to see if they were good enough, and I didn't like them. The premium sleeves have a bit of stiffness to them that makes handling much easier in my opinion.

I've liked the mayday sleeves, mainly because they were much less expensive at Miniature Market. I've had a little bit of issue with inconsistent sizing but mine have never been too short. Miniature Market recently stopped carrying Mayday though so my last order was their new line called 'Game Plus Products'. They told me that they were thicker like the mayday premium sleeves. I haven't received the order yet so I can't compare them.
    I have some Premium sleeves and like them but I think they are a bit heavy. I think a sleeved deck is almost triple the thickness and I'm not keen on this.
    I'll get a pack of the standard like you did to see if I prefer them.
    I think I got the last of Miniature Markets Mayday Premium sleeves when I ordered 20 packs!

I'll be interested in how the 'Game Plus Product' line compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post

British Flag (sample)

The USA and British versions have not been "updated" like the German and Japanese flags, which are now stripes and a dot rather than swastika and rising sun.

Personally, if a game is premium quality I sleeve with FFG. I use nothing but their line for WoG:

Standard Card Game Size
    I've got my damage decks in FFG sleeves as here I don't mind the longer sleeve. I prefer the Mayday for maneuver decks as there is no sleeve overlap so the bottom edge of the card is exposed ever so slightly keeping the maneuver true.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

I'll be interested in how the 'Game Plus Product' line compares.
    I'll report back when I receive them, I was really hoping to get the order today (sleeves along with about 8 new minis and 2 mats)

You can also order the Mayday sleeves right from their site using the promo code they offer to the forum. One of the Mayday guys games with our group at Origins as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post

British Flag (sample)

Standard Card Game Size
    ive got the usa and german ones but still awaiting the release of the british and japanese. they also make italian, french, and mexico but, as we dont have any high performance a/c from those nations i havent got any.

I'll report back when I receive them, I was really hoping to get the order today (sleeves along with about 8 new minis and 2 mats)
    Follow up:

I got my order yesterday, the Game Plus sleeves from Miniature Market appear to be as good as the Mayday sleeves. They are thicker like the premium Mayday sleeves and among the pack I opened they are all consistently sized. Compared with the Mayday sleeves these are about 1mm narrow and 2mm taller, which means I need to either cut them down a little, or update my tuckbox template because these just barely don't fit in my boxes. That's my only complaint, that they are a bit longer than they need to be.

I'll likely make my tuckboxes 1 or 2 mm taller, as a substitute for the Mayday sleeves these seem to fit the bill just fine.

Follow up:

I got my order yesterday, the Game Plus sleeves from Miniature Market appear to be as good as the Mayday sleeves. They are thicker like the premium Mayday sleeves and among the pack I opened they are all consistently sized. Compared with the Mayday sleeves these are about 1mm narrow and 2mm taller, which means I need to either cut them down a little, or update my tuckbox template because these just barely don't fit in my boxes. That's my only complaint, that they are a bit longer than they need to be.

I'll likely make my tuckboxes 1 or 2 mm taller, as a substitute for the Mayday sleeves these seem to fit the bill just fine.
    Just wondering, why not stick with the Mayday sleeves since they fit both the cards and your boxes with modifying either?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Just wondering, why not stick with the Mayday sleeves since they fit both the cards and your boxes with modifying either?
    Because I was already placing a large order with Miniature Market and had free shipping. With Miniature Market's already lower-than-anyone-else prices and free shipping, I decided to give these new ones a try. In the future I'll consider looking elsewhere for Mayday.
    Last edited by brdavis; 10-20-2016 at 11:25. Reason: correct an error: mini market, not mayday

If only they had wgf sized sleeves with national insignia on the backs.......

Fantasy Flight used to make sleeves, but may have packed that in.
    I still get FFG sleeves from CoolStuff, "Mini European Board Game Size", and they work great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    that would be awesome!!!!

talk to dancing dan.

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    that would be awesome!!!!

talk to dancing dan.
    Yes, that would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    They came in last night and here is what I found.

I purchased the Mayday Games' Mini Chimera Card Sleeves (43x65mm) Part Number MDG-7045. Standard, NOT the Premium

Short review: I love them and will, most likely, sleeve the remainder of my cards.

First: So you know my storage and how everything fits
    • I have the Pilot Career and matching Skill cards from BGG, Kickstarter and the Aerodrome's WWI ACE Career Deck.
    • I use the Aerodrome's Hanger Trays.
    • -- I keep the base, pilot card, pilot career cards, matching skill cards and maneuver deck with each plane.
    • I use the Aerodrome's Ground Crew ACE Hanger Tray.
    • -- Even without sleeves a Double A damage decks do not look like they fit well and Double B decks will NOT fit.
    • -- I keep the target, trench, bomb, mg and AA cards in this tray as well
    • -- I keep the additional skill cards in these trays too. That is two cards of each skill.
    • I do use a Plano box for tokens, the second deck of damage cards and other fiddly bits.

Long Review:

The sleeves:
    • The Standard Sleeves are excellent.
    • The 43mm x 65mm fit perfect.
    • They are inexpensive yet a very good quality.
    • I twisted, pulled and ran my finger nail over the sleeve and it held up quite well. Not tearing. It can keep the blemish if you stress it a bit.
    • -- Actually I don't fully understand the point others were making about not being stiff enough. Many, including me, have been using unsleeved cards and we've always though the cards were plenty stiff. I don't know if there is a need to make them stiffer unless you play with people that tend to fold the cards. Yes that happens but I try to make it clear this isn't Uno and it is harder to find the replacement parts. P.S. I had someone doing that to my Cosmic Encounter; I asked them to be more careful.
    • The Standard Sleeve adds about 15% to 20% of the overall height. That is far less than the premium and allows everything to fit better
    • They are slippery. Yep they are very slippery. This is actually both good and bad, see below.
    • When purchasing the Aerodrome discount code does work - WOGAERODROME

Sleeved cards and usage:
    • As above the the 43mm x 65mm fit perfect.
    • -- They may be a little snug but not enough to even bend the card or sleeve. It looks like a good fit. A larger sleeve would not fit into the Hanger Trays.
    • The skill cards I mentioned above, two of each skill, fit. They do fill it all the way to the top of the tray. I'm thinking of splitting the deck but, as I said, they do fit.
    • Decks: All damage and target decks fit well within the tray. The A and B decks are not quite full. You will not be able to get two sleeved decks in a single slot.
    • I chose MvR because his maneuver deck has over twenty cards.
    • -- Also he seems to have the most pilot career cards.
    • -- Also for every skill listed on the pilot career cards there is a matching skill card.
    • -- MvR seemed to be the most extreme example I could find; so I thought it would be a good test.
    • -- If you sleeve everything, the maneuver deck, the plane card, pilot career cards, matching skill cards. Then insert these with the plane base into the Hanger Tray deck slot it does 'look' like they will fit. It will be nearly full, to the top. But as I said MvR has, I think, the most cards. I did run out of sleeves and it was getting late so I didn't swap cards around so this is a best guess. It looks good though.
    • They are slippery
    • -- The good news is that it makes it far easier to shuffle. Split the deck in two halves and slide them together. No edge damage, they are great.
    • -- They are a bit slippery when using them for a maneuver. You'll need to hold the card a bit more carefully. But on the other hand it pulls away from the plane just that much easier.
    • -- The target cards, AA, bombs, mg, etc. are just as slippery. This is the only bother I have found. Not a big one but the cards can be easily moved without meaning to do so.
    • -- I have not tried Teaticket's (Peter's) advise and used a sponge to roughen up the sides. That may work well, if so awesome.

This is just my opinion.
    Summary:
    • Mayday Games' Mini Chimera Card Sleeves (43x65mm) Part Number MDG-7045.
    • Standard, NOT Premium
    • The quality is excellent.
    • I just received them last night so I can't comment on how well they hold up but it looks like the durability is excellent.
    • The Standard is fine and being thinner actually fits better.
    • This size (43x65mm) fits well in the Hanger Trays
    • They are a little slippery but that isn't really a big issue and actually helps in some aspects.

Ken, thank you for the solid review of Mayday Sleeves.

Similar Missions

1. Do you use card sleeves?
    By sparty in forum Polls
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-07-2024, 09:28
  2. Perfect card protectors
    By Dowters in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-28-2015, 13:55
  3. Card Sleeves
    By Naharaht in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2