Ares Games

Thread: Tintin Sunderland

Default Tintin Sunderland

That's the flying boat, not Tintin's Adventures in Sunderland, which would no doubt be short and very boring . But I digress. A mate of mine went to the Tintin store in London and told me that one of the items to be had there was a model Sunderland, which he thinks is about 1/200 scale. As he wasn't bright enough to gather measurements I shall venture forth later in the week to do the necessary. I lifted this pic from the shop's website

If it is the right size, then all it needs is the the addition of guns, a top turret and a decent paint job. The downside is that the RRP is £25 , but at the moment they are half price.

So stay tuned for further Herges adventures of Tintin.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Doesn't necessarily need a dorsal turret; Mk. Is had a pair of "blister" mounts up there, for one.

http://www.aviastar.org/gallery/pict...sunderland&p=5

There is a 'Tintin' store in London? Another reason to go visit someday. I already know about the Aviation Bookstore, if it is still open.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Doesn't necessarily need a dorsal turret; Mk. Is had a pair of "blister" mounts up there, for one.

http://www.aviastar.org/gallery/pict...sunderland&p=5
    I am well aware of that. The one I want to model has a turret

If you visit the Tintin Shop website, http://thetintinshop.uk.com/ , you will see that the Sunderland is one of 33 such models. It says that the Sunderland is 1:72 scale but I cannot believe that from looking at the picture. Other models include a Messerschmitt Bf109 and a De Haviland Mosquito, which do look 1:72 scale.

With the listed wingspan of 17.4cm it scales out at 1/200" scale! Just crunching the numbers . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    If you visit the Tintin Shop website, http://thetintinshop.uk.com/ , you will see that the Sunderland is one of 33 such models. It says that the Sunderland is 1:72 scale but I cannot believe that from looking at the picture. Other models include a Messerschmitt Bf109 and a De Haviland Mosquito, which do look 1:72 scale.
    They have one standard size box for these so I'm guessing most of them are scaled to fit this. Most look close to 1/72, but the Savoia, Wibault and DC3 are a lot smaller but probably not 1/200.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    With the listed wingspan of 17.4cm it scales out at 1/200" scale! Just crunching the numbers . . .
    Dave, I took one of your Sunderlands to the shop on Wednesday and had a measure up. The Tintin Sunderland is just a shade bigger, but not enough to worry about. Certainly not enough to stop me buying a couple. Flying surfaces will need a bit of work as there are no panels, ailerons or stabilisers, and a few gaps will need fililng in, but otherwise will form a good basis for a WoG model.

Similar Missions

1. Need: 1/200 Sunderland Mk.I
    By Franco Lucchini in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2016, 07:43
  2. Pour me a Sunderland
    By clipper1801 in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 02-09-2016, 01:44
  3. National SUNDERLAND AIR SHOW
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4