Ares Games

Thread: Older vs. Newer Planes

Default Older vs. Newer Planes

Hey all,

Last night, Dave Zee and I ran a couple of one-on-one dogfights (which I shall post my usual AARs for in Mission Discussions later.) We flew an Albatros D.III vs. a Nieuport 17, and then my Albatros D.Va vs. an SE5a.

As a new player, it was really interesting to me how different the two battles played out. The Nieuport/D.III battle barely lasted 10 minutes, with both planes in firing range after 1 turn and firing pretty continuous for the next 4 turns. The planes never got out of firing range the entire battle.

On the other hand, the D.Va/SE5a battle took nearly half an hour, with both planes zooming across what seemed like every point on the map. Half the battle was spent changing direction and trying to figure out how to get close to the opponent, who was usually on the opposite map edge!

Both matches were enjoyable, but the different performance of the planes changed the nature and tactics of each battle significantly. The first was like a close-quarters knife fight, the second was more like a samurai duel with both planes making dramatic sweeping passes at each other. I'm now really looking forward to the Series 5 planes to see how the earliest battles played out with the fragile prototype scouts like the E.III and the DH2.

I know what you mean, David. Hunter and I played mostly dogfights (and lots of them!!)when we first started playing, and I noticed the same thing. Our battles with the D.III and Nieuport were always pretty quick, while the sorties with the Spad vs. the D.Va were at least twice as long and played out just as you described - lots of time trying to get close to your opponent again after an attack. It's fun to see how the dogfights vary with the different planes.

Scott