Ares Games

Thread: Campaign mission 5: Dogfight

Default Campaign mission 5: Dogfight

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	204462
    In support of our ground offensive, a fighter sweep deep into enemy territory was ordered, both to tie down German air strength and take some of the pressure off our French allies to the south. This would be a baptism of fire for the new SE5 and Bristol F2a fighters fresh off the production lines. As our pilots left the trenches behind them, the Germans rose to the occasion with their customary aggressiveness and put up both two seaters and Albatross scouts to challenge our formation. A cloud bank just beyond the Hun front lines caused our airmen some confusion, with one SE5 colliding with and fatally damaging the tail of another, while turbulence in the clouds forced an F2a wildly off course.

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	204463

Name:	IMG_2285.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	204465

A whirling dogfight ensued when our aircraft came to grips with the Hun over enemy territory, but skillful maneuvering by our pilots meant that only one SE5 was shot down; another closed on a German two seater and mortally wounded it's gunner, although the pilot managed to take evasive action and avoid disaster. A third SE5 was hit and last seen on fire, heading deeper behind enemy lines: as yet the pilot has not been accounted for. No other victories or losses were reported.

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	191.0 KB 
ID:	204464

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	204466

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	204467

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	233.9 KB 
ID:	204468

Name:	IMG_2289.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	204469

Looks like a lot of fun and I love the clouds. Did you do an file on how you created them? How do planes hide in the clouds?

Default Clouds

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    Looks like a lot of fun and I love the clouds. Did you do an file on how you created them? How do planes hide in the clouds?
    I did somewhere, but I could not for the life of me where it is! Be happy to show you though if I can find the photos on one of my cards here. We made a house rule for clouds: instead of plotting moves and piling up cards which is a bit cumbersome, we simply say that once you enter a cloud, you cannot shoot or be shot at. Discard your next planned move and draw a random maneuver card from your deck. This could take you out of the cloud or anywhere else - in fact I drew the Immelman card a couple of times and popped out of the cloud the same side I went in on! It does make for an interesting aspect to the game; I have played this at conventions and everyone loves it.

Thumbs up

That looked like a really great game Stuart!

Not a good day for Tommy - well played Stuart, looks like all had fun with it.

PS: I found the link to Stuart's 'Head in the Clouds' thread explaining how the clouds were made
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...t=plastic+wine
    Last edited by flash; 09-25-2018 at 22:39.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Family Game Store, 8 July 2013, Mission 1, Dogfight
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 14:53
  2. WW1 Campaign 4th Mission
    By Brambo in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 07:11
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 02:32
  4. Scenario #2 Dogfight Mission
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 05:30
  5. Break Through - Knight of the Air Mission 5 (Dogfight)
    By costampede in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 08:51