Ares Games

Thread: What's on your workbench: August 2016 Edition

Default What's on your workbench: August 2016 Edition

Having seen DarrylH's Dornier 24 in the painting showcase I decided to dig my two out and finish them. They are taking their place with some Defiants, Whirlwinds and Blenheims I have on the go - just need to decide which Dark Earth I want to use over the Mr Paint RAF Dark Green, as the Mr Paint one doesn't show up all that well against the green.

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I got really bored and did this to an extra Goering I had laying around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160811_175726_resized.jpg   20160811_175741_resized.jpg   20160811_181859_resized.jpg   20160811_181934_resized.jpg  

Well, not WGF related and not to be controversial, but since a buddy put together a Group Buy project and I felt obligated to support him... I've got a rifle teeing up on the workbench as soon as the FFL tells me the receiver's come in.

You said "workbench," not "modeling bench"... and I don't even frickin' LIKE AR's. (If I could have any two guns ever made, they would be my grandfather's old duty 1911 .45 and his brother's M1 he stormed one of Mauthausen's satellite camps with.)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

A few more AIM early Brit aircraft have arrived - some Battles, Hampdens, more Blenheim Is and Defiants, and a B17D for Coastal Command.

Still plodding on with making 3D models on Shapeways for people. Looking for requests and interesting oddities to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Still plodding on with making 3D models on Shapeways for people. Looking for requests and interesting oddities to look at.
    One glaring omission be it Ares, Aim, Shapeways or whoever - Mosquitos! How about it Steve?

My Hero!

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive (as long as my hand stops hurting, I need to slow down)...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...l=1#post417394
    Well done that man. One of each ordered for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Having seen DarrylH's Dornier 24 in the painting showcase I decided to dig my two out and finish them. They are taking their place with some Defiants, Whirlwinds and Blenheims I have on the go - just need to decide which Dark Earth I want to use over the Mr Paint RAF Dark Green, as the Mr Paint one doesn't show up all that well against the green.

Hi Steve,
    where did you get those Do 24's ??? are they in 1/200 scale ?
    I looked everywhere but have not been able to find them, please help ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Ack! Still trying to find mine. Summer is no friend to my modelling pursuits!

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark1430 View Post
    Hi Steve,
    where did you get those Do 24's ??? are they in 1/200 scale ?
    I looked everywhere but have not been able to find them, please help ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    I got them from Ron Crawford (HBM) about a couple of years back along with some other interesting stuff no-one else makes at the moment. Not sure he produces them anymore but perhaps they will see the light of day with AIM if Dave Schmidt re-masters them.

I got them from Ron Crawford (HBM) about a couple of years back along with some other interesting stuff no-one else makes at the moment. Not sure he produces them anymore but perhaps they will see the light of day with AIM if Dave Schmidt re-masters them.
    Thanks Steve for your quick reply. I hope AIM will do them
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Back to cleaning the work area
    This between work and caregiving to my wife (hmm, does that count as for this ).
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Well......the OCD kicked in again and I got involved in playing X-Wing. I needed something to crash into, so I made myself a nice Asteroid field. I grabbed some lava rock from the the yard (doesn't everyone just have some laying around??) and drilled them out so I could mount them on my Un-used F-Toys 1/144 Warbird Stands. I JB welded them to the stands. I had to paint the rocks to make them look more like.....rocks? First step, airbrush everything flat black. Then I drybrushed a blue, purple, orange, rusty red or teal as a base coat. I followed that up with a heaver drybrushing of light gray and then a light and spotty drybrush of white.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160822_115831_resized.jpg   20160824_145721_resized.jpg   20160824_145745_resized.jpg   20160824_145753_resized.jpg  

I just finished 4 Sopwith Strutters working on 2 FE-8's and will be working on 2 Fe2s and 2 Be2s this will finish up my 1917 Brits.

Next will be 1916 Germans Gotha G.I, Fokker DI and D.II with a repaint of Fokker E.III and a two seater.

Outrunning some Tie Fighters in an Asteroid field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160824_230729_resized.jpg  

I'm still on cartoon tanks!

Not quite finished yet. I'll have to try this when it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPcbmFf2qw

Ian
    Last edited by Womble; 08-25-2016 at 05:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I'm still on cartoon tanks!

Not quite finished yet. I'll have to try this when it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzPcbmFf2qw

Ian

That is one wild video, I like they way they argue over the one tank as not being a "light tank" right in the heat of battle.

August is almost gone and the elves wanted something posted! Here is their mystery purchase . . .

What's a guy to do with 6 DC-3's?

And then the painting elves went crazy . . .

What war on earth can these colors work in? Stay tuned!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

How 'bout some 1/200 scale paratroopers exiting the planes, Dave...?

On second thought, your racing arrangement is pretty cool, too!

All the best,
    Matt

Well now we know what the elves have been up to,

too bad they cannot come up with a fun set of rules for an air race game now

. . . anyone have an idea of the rules for the "Full Throttle" game that did not succeed on the Kick Starter?

Classic Cream . . .

Betty B . . .

Flames o' War . . .

Pegasus . . .

Dragon's Got a . . .

Puff the Magic Dragon . . .

Got to admit have not made or painted any aircraft for a while being lazy and waiting for new WOG models. On the other hand been busy with Bolt-Action figures. I like 28mm scale and I think it is a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Got to admit have not made or painted any aircraft for a while being lazy and waiting for new WOG models. On the other hand been busy with Bolt-Action figures. I like 28mm scale and I think it is a good game.
    I'm just getting in to Bolt Action. Shame you're far away, I was looking for new people to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    too bad they cannot come up with a fun set of rules for an air race game now
    _Planes: High Pilotage_ wasn't workable?

Just touched down on the workbench - 4 Shapeways Mosquitos of various versions from Foz

Those look great, can't wait to see them in colors!

Just touched down on the workbench - 4 Shapeways Mosquitos of various versions from Foz

Yep, colours will be good

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Lots of things on the bench this month I was hoping to get finished - some are closer to completion, thank goodness! But I did manage to finish this counters box for the X-Wing game...

I used a box a little bit deeper than the boxes I've done for Wings of War, but I thought it would work better since the X-wing game has counters that are a bit larger and thicker. I stained it black first and then applied two coats of clear acrylic before I painted on the 'nebula' and 'stars' pattern (I did the stars using a toothbrush to 'flick' the spots on...)

Here is the top of the box with the Star Wars game logo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	206136

The side of the box is shown here - you can see the black stain a bit better here - it allows the wood's grain to stand out a bit - more visible in person than perhaps in the photo...

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	206137

Here is the interior of the box - I used a grey that matches the counter 'background' rather well...

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	206138

...and here it is with the counters and dice inside.

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	206140

Hopefully September's workbench crop will see some more planes painted and finished!

As always, thanks for looking!
    All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    Lots of things on the bench this month I was hoping to get finished - some are closer to completion, thank goodness! But I did manage to finish this counters box for the X-Wing game...

I used a box a little bit deeper than the boxes I've done for Wings of War, but I thought it would work better since the X-wing game has counters that are a bit larger and thicker. I stained it black first and then applied two coats of clear acrylic before I painted on the 'nebula' and 'stars' pattern (I did the stars using a toothbrush to 'flick' the spots on...)

Here is the top of the box with the Star Wars game logo

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	206136

The side of the box is shown here - you can see the black stain a bit better here - it allows the wood's grain to stand out a bit - more visible in person than perhaps in the photo...

Great job on those boxes, Your paint job is fantastic!

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	206137

Here is the interior of the box - I used a grey that matches the counter 'background' rather well...

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	206138

...and here it is with the counters and dice inside.

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	206140

Hopefully September's workbench crop will see some more planes painted and finished!

As always, thanks for looking!
    All the best,
    Matt
    Great job on those boxes, Your paint job is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    How 'bout some 1/200 scale paratroopers exiting the planes, Dave...?
    With those markings? The paratrooper units have not been formed yet...........

Well, the preparations for Overlord continue here:

Omaha beach, Dog green sector

Name:	IMG_1948.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	206905

WN71

Name:	IMG_2124.jpg 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	206904

Recon flight by a P.51

Name:	IMG_1992.jpg 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	206903

Startled the Jerries

Name:	IMG_1993.jpg 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	206906

Similar Missions

1. What's on your workbench: July 2016 edition
    By matt56 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-21-2016, 11:48
  2. What's On Your Workbench: June 2016 Edition
    By Tonx in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 16:03
  3. What's On Your Workbench? March 2016 Edition.
    By Tonx in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 04-07-2016, 19:25
  4. What's on Your Workbench, February 2016 Edition
    By jbmacek in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 03-07-2016, 12:51
  5. What's on your workbench for August?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 11:29