Ares Games

Thread: Bombing runs

Default Bombing runs

During a campaign mission tonight a couple of questions arose:

If a plane is shot down on the bomb run, at what point is the bomb(s) considered released (i.e. will continue toward the target regardless of what happens to the parent airplane?)

Once released, the laws of physics dictate that all bombs should fall at the same rate, regardless of how fast or slow the parent aircraft is moving. Using cards from the airplane's movement deck to fly' the bomb card unfairly penalizes slower aircraft

What say you, gentlemen of the Mess?

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post

Once released, the laws of physics dictate that all bombs should fall at the same rate, regardless of how fast or slow the parent aircraft is moving. Using cards from the airplane's movement deck to fly' the bomb card unfairly penalizes slower aircraft
    The bombs move in two different directions. One downward (gravity) and one forward (the speed of the Aircraft)
    When the bomb are released they move (simply speaking) forward at the same speed as Aircraft then gravity slowly takes over and the bombs gradually fall more and more vertical. (all simplyfied of course)
    ex. You stand on a roof with three tennisballs. They are the same size and weight. You drop the first one without throwing it. It will fall straight down.
    The next one you throw as hard as you can. It will travel some distance before hitting the ground. the last one you throw not so hard. It will hit the ground somewhere in between. The forward speed do make a difference.
    So i'd say a slower Aircraft is not penalized when bombing.

Just my 2 cents....

If a plane is shot down on the bomb run, at what point is the bomb(s) considered released (i.e. will continue toward the target regardless of what happens to the parent airplane?)
    The rules are quite clear that bombs are put into play after the manoeuvre and before firing is resolved. p.37.

What say you, gentlemen of the Mess?
    I agree they fall at the same rate but the forward momentum & the bombs trajectory is also affected by the aircraft speed. In game the speed of the bomb is dictated by the manoeuvre card played by the plane on bomb release - if a long move, a straight; if a stall then a stall is used.
    So there's no penalty for slower machines.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

I agree they fall at the same rate but the forward momentum & the bombs trajectory is also affected by the aircraft speed. In game the speed of the bomb is dictated by the manoeuvre card played by the plane on bomb release - if a long move, a straight; if a stall then a stall is used.
    So there's no penalty for slower machines.
    Lots of archive footage of planes dropping bombs show the forward component of the movement, when viewed from the side.

If anything, slow planes get an 'unfair' advantage since they must drop bombs when closer to the target than fast planes, so the drop is easier to judge, and also more movement cards to better line-up the target.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Lots of archive footage of planes dropping bombs show the forward component of the movement, when viewed from the side.

If anything, slow planes get an 'unfair' advantage since they must drop bombs when closer to the target than fast planes, so the drop is easier to judge, and also more movement cards to better line-up the target.
    Slower planes may have an advantage on bombing accuracy but it will take them longer to get to the target. The extra flight time gives the opposition more chances of shooting them down so maybe the advantage isn't so 'unfair'?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Slower planes may have an advantage on bombing accuracy but it will take them longer to get to the target. The extra flight time gives the opposition more chances of shooting them down so maybe the advantage isn't so 'unfair'?
    yeah i doubt the crews saw any advantage getting to the target and leaving the target area slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    That's why I said 'unfair', and not unfair!

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    yeah i doubt the crews saw any advantage getting to the target and leaving the target area slower.
    The crews would have little, or no, idea whether they were reaching their target sooner or later when switching from one aircraft type to another (especially since they did so very infrequently!) - it's only gamers like us who can readily spot the difference.

Any aircraft travelling slower (ie playing a stall card) will be more likely to hit the target as it is much easier to judge how far the bombs will go.

This assumes the use of altitude of course.

Similar Missions

1. production runs
    By spookiedfx in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2015, 02:16
  2. AAR BoB - He who runs away lives to... (Marechallannes Axis)
    By Marechallannes in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-26-2014, 11:31
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 03:00
  4. BRF Battle of Britain Scenario 1: He who runs away lives to........
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 13:39
  5. I fear Mr Kyte and myself will need longer take-off runs
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 03:06