Ares Games

Thread: Reducing jams - green jam only jams one gun, red jams both?

Default Reducing jams - green jam only jams one gun, red jams both?

We've been playing with a house rule where, on A-firing aircraft, a green jam only jams one gun, reducing it to B-firing until the jam clears. On a red jam, both guns jam, and the aircraft can't fire. On B-firing aircraft, either jam jams the gun. It would seem to have the side effect of increasing the power of A guns relative to B guns, as an A gun has only half the chance of being unable to fire. Perhaps we shouldn't use it for bomber intercepts. Thoughts?

I think leaving gun jams as per rules is the best way . Your idea is is interesting but could unbalance some games.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    I think leaving gun jams as per rules is the best way . Your idea is is interesting but could unbalance some games.
    Probably right, especially when it's 3 fighters vs. a Stakken, armed entirely with B guns. Or really any time one side has entirely B guns.

I play jam one gun at a time.
    Last edited by john snelling; 07-08-2016 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
    We've been playing with a house rule where, on A-firing aircraft, a green jam only jams one gun, reducing it to B-firing until the jam clears. On a red jam, both guns jam, and the aircraft can't fire. ...
    Which is pretty much what Andrea has suggested you can do in the past when the subject of red and green jam cards has been discussed, and for split gun systems like Vickers & Lewis...

Angiolillo: Some time ago I posted a few optional rules here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1952...edback-welcome

One is this:

Jamming twin guns (A firing planes)

When you fire with an A weapon, that represents twin guns, you could jam one of the machineguns or, more rarely, both of them.
    If you are at short distance, you jam a machinegun if target picks up a jammed Damage card, you jam both of them if he picks up two of them. Firing at long distance, you jam both of them if the target picks the 0 red jammed Damage card, only one if he picks the 2 red or a green jammed Damage card.
    Planes jamming a single gun take three jammed counters. Each turn after moving, the player can decide if unjam the jammed machinegun or if they want to fire with the remaining one. If they unjam, they discard a token; if they fire they do it at B capability (and they normally jam this second weapon if a jamming B card is picked by the target). The weapon is unjammed if the player unjam it after three consecutive maneuvers. It is allowed to stop unjamming to fire with the other weapon at any moment, but the jamned counters are immediately restored to three.
    If both weapons are jammed, they are unjammed at the same time after the same three consecutive maneuvers. No separate account of unjamming is necessary.

You could decide to apply it just to Se5a, Ni.17/23, twin MGs SPAD VII and the like.
    So it has the game designers approval as an optional rule - as long as all players know about it before play commences it should be fine.
    Last edited by flash; 07-08-2016 at 05:59.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Which is pretty much what Andrea has suggested you can do in the past when the subject of red and green jam cards has been discussed, and for split gun systems like Vickers & Lewis...

So it has the game designers approval as an optional rule - as long as all players know about it before play commences it should be fine.
    I'll keep using the "green jams one, red jams both" rule, perhaps only for aircraft with split guns, but I like the rule that your can either try to unjam the gun for 3 turns or fire the remaining gun - not both, as it seems we've been playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BraselC5048 View Post
    I'll keep using the "green jams one, red jams both" rule, perhaps only for aircraft with split guns, but I like the rule that your can either try to unjam the gun for 3 turns or fire the remaining gun - not both, as it seems we've been playing.
    I've been playing it as "unjam one gun" or "fire the remaining gun," not both, and if you stop unjamming to fire the remaining gun, you're right back to three jam tokens.

How do you apply the 'bullet checker' ace skill in your system?
    Last edited by Naharaht; 05-09-2018 at 21:20.

I am sure I have read the twin Maxims arming German scouts both stopped if one gun jammed.

Osprey "DH2 vs Albatros D.I/D.II"

Albatros scouts had two gun buttons on the joystick, allowing fire of one, or the other, or both together.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

This photograph of an S.E.5a cockpit shows that it had separate triggers for the two machine guns but that is probably due to the arrangement of the guns.

Attachment 246592

Osprey: Sopwith Camel v Fokker Dr1 seems to show a double mg buttons on the control stick of the Dr1.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Osprey "DH2 vs Albatros D.I/D.II"

Albatros scouts had two gun buttons on the joystick, allowing fire of one, or the other, or both together.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Gun Jams
    By Stumptonian in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 16:44
  2. Gun jams on the SE5a
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-15-2014, 15:51
  3. WW1 gun jams
    By tractorboy in forum WGF: House Rules