Ares Games
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: WGS Battle of Britain Update

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very true, the London ones would be a great boost for the bombers.
    Rob.
    Absolutely. I'd have to have one... or one of each (if it were split between two).

YES!!!! Guys the reprint of the Battle of Britain Starter Set BEFORE they sell out world wide is incredible news!! Not only does it show good sales, it shows that Ares is listening to us and is ensuring that at least the starter sets stay available!! I'm bloody stoked. I already have a but tonne (metric but tonne that is) of them in stock, but hey, more the merrier! YES!!!!

Hope they can coordinate with the new bombers.
    That would really keep the momentum up.

No need to co-ordinate if they are already on shelves The good thing here is there should NEVER be a time where they aren't on the shelves. This reprint is coming at a time that will prevent a gap. I still have a stack of them of Aussie retailers.

But yes, everyone here wants some German bombers.. the JU88 and Do 17 is going to do extremely well. SM79's will be my personal fav though

This is good news. It shows ARES is committed to keeping Wings alive.

Yes, it makes good sense because new players attracted by the bomber models will need the rules and counters etc. and some fighters to go with the bombers.

Looking for any info on when we might see new planes, I checked this place: Ares Games - Upcoming Products

Not everything I wanted to see, but the BoB Starter Set (reprint) is listed for March 2018.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

What month last year was the BoB set released?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    What month last year was the BoB set released?
    Keith shipped my pre-order on March 24th

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Looking for any info on when we might see new planes, I checked this place: Ares Games - Upcoming Products

Not everything I wanted to see, but the BoB Starter Set (reprint) is listed for March 2018.

personally i wouldve preferred to other aircraft 1st. but reprinting battle of britain is good for the game so i think its a great idea.

This news is a pleasant surprise and shows that the product must have sold well in general.

6 months later and still no word on the new bombers.

It is my assumption that they were aiming for Q4? lots of WGF stuff to get out before then from the Tripods though.

Tripods got pushed back (manufactures fault) So it may be a while yet. We are also hopeful for a HE 111 reprint soon.

From an Australian supplier WGS bombers are highly likely to land Q4 2018.

Tis the season of our discontent, once again. Hold on troops, we have been here before. I just counted the WWI inventory this morning on the Aerodrome, 11 of 112 in stock . . . not a good sign. Didn't check the WWII side, it gets too discouraging. If the most reliable site to get the minis from is so low in stock I forecast a lean summer. If and when the new releases come, they will likely be snapped up and the pantry will be thin once more. One needs to get used to this and not get discouraged. The number of minis on EBay tells me several gamers have shifted into other games so there are a few rare birds afield. If you are trying to build a collection this is the hunt. If you just need that one bomber/fighter our For Sale or Trade thread is your huckleberry, post your dreams. If you are waiting for a reprint, wait is the word, is and always will be. It is always worth the wait. . . .
    Last edited by clipper1801; 05-22-2018 at 12:35.

Look! If Ares will do a little advertising this game would fly off the shelf. Every time I teach new kids this game WWI or WWII they go out with their parents and try to find the game. Please restock the starter sets and base sets. New players can't play if they don't have the game...

P.S. This is a great game let it grow.

O.K. I've said my peace.
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Tis the season of our discontent, once again. Hold on troops, we have been here before. I just counted the WWI inventory this morning on the Aerodrome, 11 of 112 in stock . . . not a good sign. Didn't check the WWII side, it gets too discouraging. If the most reliable site to get the minis from is so low in stock I forecast a lean summer. If and when the new releases come, they will likely be snapped up and the pantry will be thin once more. One needs to get used to this and not get discouraged. The number of minis on EBay tells me several gamers have shifted into other games so there are a few rare birds afield. If you are trying to build a collection this is the hunt. If you just need that one bomber/fighter our For Sale or Trade thread is your huckleberry, post your dreams. If you are waiting for a reprint, wait is the word, is and always will be. It is always worth the wait. . . .

David, Don't tell em about E-bay. That is where I get my best deals and score the rare stuff. Hence the reason I am expecting a HE 111 to show by weeks end.

Also if you just HAVE to have certain minis before you retire there is always AIM and Shapeways.

From what I have seen, we seem to be small potatoes to the producer so do not get top billing. No big deal, once you get the base game you can come here to fill out what you need with all the helpful guys and gals around.

Hint: the older print games came with maneuver decks and plane cards so easier to just get Shapeways airframes and play. They may just be difficult to find.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Look! If Ares will do a little advertising this game would fly off the shelf. Every time I teach new kids this game WWI or WWII they go out with their parents and try to find the game. Please restock the starter sets and base sets. New players can't play if they don't have the game...

O.K. I've said my peace.
    Thomas

i agree with you whole heartedly. it gets pretty frustrating seeing peoples interest move on due to lack of material.

Can't agree more

O.K. I've said my peace.
    Thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i agree with you whole heartedly. it gets pretty frustrating seeing peoples interest move on due to lack of material.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Can't agree more
    I've had BoB Starters, WGF Duel Packs and R&A in stock for over the past year. Ares reprinted the BoB Stater set and it hit the warehouse in April, but I did not need to order any because I still had some in stock from the first printing. Even with good stock levels through out 2017, my sales were down over 52% from 2016. I don't think the game is struggling just because some items are out of print. As much we love this game, it is not and never will be a main stream game

Availability of planes in the UK is terrible, so much so that the eBay prices are going crazy.

I hate to admit it but I have to agree there. It takes only 1 person with a box load of planes to keep a large group happy. My local group has about three of us with more then one or two planes and we supply the whole group. Also a large number of posters here either do solo games or run con games. For the most part the collectors are making the noise, we want more (yeh...that includes me) new planes to add or reprints of ones we missed. Case in point, you need one plane per player and only 2 to 4 players per average game. Yet how many of us have hangers with over 100 airframes and counting? How many of us have flights or squadrons of the same plane? Do we get one of each bomber for a our collection,...no we have 3 or 6 of each (yep..got me there also as I am about to order 3 HE 111's).

Thing is, we need to get more players to make the game grow. I think that is part of the WWI problem as once you get a few planes you do not need more. Also buy in (box rules and 2 airframes if you can find em) is a bit pricey. Sort of surprised the 2 plane packs are not moving faster as they are perfect. I do sort of wonder if we have a window here though. As the Star Wars game goes through a very expensive reboot we have a chance to pick up a bunch of new players. Many are balking at the buy in price to upgrade their fleets. We need to show em how cheaply they can get into this game with rules that do not require an upgrade every few years.

The GW money trap thing is not working well any more it seems. Star Wars tried the reboot and people are balking at the price, Flames of war just did it and I am not seeing many games now. Bolt action 2nd, Warmachine/Hordes 3rd, all the big games are revising. Heck, even some of the board games are doing the GW shuffle to get everyone to rebuy, take Zombicide for instance. They just abandoned their popular Fantasy timeline to push a Sci Fi Kickstarter this year. Could be rough to get back to the more popular line after a year break. Point is WoG has not changed in like 10 years. We can still fly the same planes using the same rules on the same maps. This is a good thing for people who do not have large amounts a spending cash they need to re invest every couple of years. It gets boring for the flavor of the month crowd out there though. They like lots of stuff on the shelf with new stuff showing up every month to blow cash on. This ain't that game (will admit more then 4 new items a year would be nice though). Lack of major constant sales make it unattractive to stores who depend on volume. As lack of reliable re supply for the end stores also is an issue.

What we need is a hook to draw em in. WWII is in the right direction with the BOB and potential Pacific box sets. WWI is a much more active player base so could also use a theme box to work around. T and T sort of has me wondering if we can grab a chunk of the Sci FI crowd (Local shop is chomping at the bit to get me to run a demo as soon as I get my KS). We also need the product to filter down to the local shops where it can be seen and bought on a whim. This requires a large choice of items in store at all times ( I do not blame the shops here) and a more campaign driven game style. Give em a reason to come back every week and find a way to hook em with pilot advancement rules. Again BoB has shown the way with a limited line of planes needed. As long as the box set and squadron packs stay on the shelves we are good. The Pacific box set also has the same potential provided it is focused on one time frame. Say either Carrier strike with Vals/Kates/Zeros VS Wildcats, Dauntlesses/Devastators and for big planes a Betty bomber and a PBY Catalina. Or they could do a Island hopping game with P38/Avenger/Helldiver Vs N1K1 George/B6N Jill/Ki-51 Sonia with add ons being Yokosuka P1Y1 and the B26 Marauder.

Now we need to do the same for WWI but focus on a time line and pilot building rules. Something to keep a group coming back and focus their stock and production capabilities in one theater. In effect take this away from the one off box game to a campaign driven weekly group game.

Ok daily ramble over.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 05-23-2018 at 10:17. Reason: never ending spelling issues

Still nothing on the bombers?.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Still nothing on the bombers?.......................
    Latest rumour is not until early 2019 (sigh)

To all Wings of Glory fans :
    WINGS OF GLORY - BATTLE OF BRITAIN is candidate to the Tric Trac d’Or for historical games.
    Let’s make the Wings of Glory Bataille d’Angleterre (Battle of England) the best history game by voting for it (even if you are a WW1 WOG gamer).

How to register on Tric Trac website (the french Board Game Geek) ?
    1) click on Ť Créer un compte ť ( = create an account), upper right side of the picture, on the following link :
    https://www.trictrac.net/je-m-inscri...-je-suis-fort/
    2-3-4) Fill with your email, username ( = nom), password and confirm ( = mot de passe, confirmer).
    5) Agree to Terms of service ( = accepter les termes des conditions de services).
    6) Show you are not a robot by writing the result of the addition of the 2 numbers shown ( = prouvez que vous n’ętes pas un robot) : on the example below, 10+20 , so the result is 30.
    7) Click on Ť Je m’inscris ť ( = I subscribe).
    - You receive a link at your webmail adress and activate it.

A few hours are requested between the account creation and the access to the vote.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	624714BD-6C9D-45CC-92E1-3C79666E68FD.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	274333

How to vote ?
    - sign in on a Tric-Trac page
    - On this page : https://www.trictrac.net/actus/tt-do...-tu-rien-venir , go to the lower part of the page and select : ► La liste ŕ classer des jeux d'histoire en français (first picture below)
    - Slide the game picture (Wings of Glory Bataille d’Angleterre, of course !) from the left column to the right under Ť Ma sélection ť ( = my selection) (second picture).
    - Click on Ť Sauvegarder ť ( = save).

First picture

Name:	126945D3-36E7-430E-A486-700FBA5EF5F3.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	274334

Second picture

Name:	81E3EEB0-03C9-43B4-B39F-919774C1581E.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	274335

The results of the vote are updated after each vote :
    https://www.trictrac.net/membres/lis...e-en-francais#
    Thanks for your help to make Wings of Glory the best history game.
    Last edited by monse; 09-05-2019 at 23:59.

Hi Monse, I have signed up but when I try to vote I get this message - Nous sommes désolés mais vous n'ętes pas autorisé ŕ voir cette page
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 09-06-2019 at 12:12.

Acess interdit!
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hi Monse, i have signed up but when I try to vote I get this message - Nous sommes désolés mais vous n'ętes pas autorisé ŕ voir cette page
    A few hours are requested between the account creation and the access to the vote.
    So you can proceed to the vote the following day after the account creation.

The results of the vote are updated after each vote :
    https://www.trictrac.net/membres/lis...e-en-francais#

Wings of Glory is at the third place right now.
    Let’s make it go to the first until September 22nd.
    Thank you for your help.

OK, so I became a member of trictrac yesterday, still can't vote ...
    I'll wait another day ?
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Carl Brisgamer succeeded for the account creation and the access to the vote.
    Guus, it might take a few more hours or one more day before you can vote.
    Please, tell us.

Right, I logged out and in again ... et voilá ... sa marche ...
    Voted for the battle of britain, let's wait and see ...
    cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Everyone can participate to this vote, even if it is a french version and even if you are a WW1 player.
    Wings of Glory deserves a better visibility everywhere.
    More votes to Wings of Glory would mean more new players who could be interested by this game.

Only 4 days left before the end of the vote.
    So, let’s all participate.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112