Ares Games

Thread: A nice steampunk novel set in World War I

Default A nice steampunk novel set in World War I

A few weeks ago was published in Italy Leviathan of Scott Westerfeld, the first book of a trilogy, a steampunk novel which I found very nice though born as a children's book.

This is the link to the review of "The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/08/bo...rossman-t.html

Between a game and the other it can be a good read. And perhaps a good idea for a new boardgame.

Attilio

The second one just came out here in the US. I also found these to be pretty decent books. Other than the main characters being teen-aged, there's not much of an indication that these are written for kids, the writing itself is solid enough.

It's really a pretty interesting take on the steam-punk world, populated not only with impressive steam-powered machines, but also with genetically spliced animals. Pretty cool ideas.

Yes, a very pretty idea.

At the beginnins it reminded me a Japanes manga cartoon but I think the narrative is much more exciting and the construction of the story is excellent.

I agree it's not a book only for kids (some reviews catalog it in this way perhaps for the age of the two main protagonist).

I've just discovered this fellah:

Johnathan Green

http://paxbritanniablog.blogspot.com...ibus-vol1.html

Nice, Dave!

Leviathan was my first steampunk reading (transalted), This literary genre seems really interesting.

I read years ago the WordWar and Colonization Series of Harry Turtledove, a science fiction series of 4+3+1 books set in World War II (i read only the firt 7 books translated in italian).

The saga begins with an Alien invasion during World War. It's wasn't a saga for kids, for sure, but it's a really intricate and crude story.

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

One word for you steampunk fans;
    Malifaux
    Google Wyrd games.

I second Don's plug of Malifaux! Besides WoW, it is the only other game I am playing right now and it rocks. Another game like WoW that doesn't use dice, but uses cards instead, and doesn't rely on killing everything on the board. And as miniature games go (Malifaux is a skirmish game involving fewer than 10 miniatures usually) it is very inexpensive to get into.

Cheers!

I look a t Malifax.

Excellent suggestion, I'll keep definitely in mind. It seems a good idea for an Halloween night game session!

I forgot to underline that the book contains a large amount of drawings that illustrate the story and are very well done.

Attilio

Ok I keep seeing the term 'steampunk' on various forum's but what does it mean?

Cheers, Aled

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

Think Victorian era steam powered machines, zombies, and a light dusting of magic.

Sherlock Holmes meets Edgar Allen Poe meets H.G. Wells meets Anne Rice and it is all directed by Tim Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Think Victorian era steam powered machines, zombies, and a light dusting of magic.

Sherlock Holmes meets Edgar Allen Poe meets H.G. Wells meets Anne Rice and it is all directed by Tim Burton.
    Cheers it makes sense now

Similar Missions

1. Steampunk anyone?
    By =Binks= in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 11:46
  2. Nice card stock aircraft
    By boomerpete53 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 06:12
  3. Images from WWI - a really nice collection of not frequently pictures
    By Attila57 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions