Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I blame all of you for this!

Default I blame all of you for this!

Three months ago I hardly knew this game existed.

Name:  Z8Cwrxc.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  223.9 KB

I blame this awesome community for being a horrible, horrible influence on me

Another one bites the dust . . . welcome to the asylum . . . soon you will be seeing elves and their works . . .

I know the feeling. Great collection! Dang, those bombers are big.
    Enjoy!

Welcome fellow flyer!

Thumbs up

Thats a nice collection Cody!
    But its only the "Start"!

Ha! wait three more months and you probably will find it hard to fit all of your planes on your map for a new picture.

Oh, yeah, Cody...

Blame us. Have you read my biography in my profile? It wasn't the Forum. although we are a bunch of enablers.

Personally, I blame Andrea [Angiolillo], the Game Designer. It's all his fault. Really.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

WoGaholics all of us

3 months and that is ALL?????.....I got my balloon in the first month...no big uns though.....keep it up.

BTW, about half way through month 2 now.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

The WGF is strong in that one.

oh come now. give into the addiction. its better this way.

Like the way you went straight for the big planes. Another 3 months and it's going to be: "I'm gonna need a bigger cupboard"
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Nice work Cody. Just wait until you discover the joy of WGS!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Like the way you went straight for the big planes. Another 3 months and it's going to be: "I'm gonna need a bigger cupboard"
    And then "I'm gonna need a bigger games room!"
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome Cody! Great start to the collection!

You have done well to collect all those injust three months, Cody.

Wow, what a great picture, and collection!

Right now I'm focusing on filling in the missing single-seat planes, so I have all 3 of a type. Have another D.VII, Tripehound, and Halberstadt on the way (though unfortunately the Halberstadt is the same model, wanted it for the deck. Might to a bit of paint work on it). Next on the list will probably be the remaining 2 SPAD VIIs and Hanriots.

Haven't picked up a Stakken yet. Don't know if I will.

Started all of this after spending a week or two trying to decided if I wanted to go WoG or SoG. Love the subject matter of them both, but ended up with WoG. One thing I love about this game is -unlike most of my other board/tabletop games- I can actually convince my non-gamer friends to play it. Everyone loves little aeroplanes, apparently.

A little out of focus but I like the angle better. Probably should have used a different lens:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Ha! wait three more months and you probably will find it hard to fit all of your planes on your map for a new picture.
    It's Ok, I have two more maps... plus the 4 from the KS :P

NEVER, NEVER, add up the cost! Just look at the pretty planes and play.

If you think it is bad now...just wait until you also get in to WW2. Nice start on your collection, by the way. Isn't it amazing how quickly it can grow???

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    An definitely don't let SWMBO ever find out

Quote Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
    Right now I'm focusing on filling in the missing single-seat planes, so I have all 3 of a type. Have another D.VII, Tripehound, and Halberstadt on the way (though unfortunately the Halberstadt is the same model, wanted it for the deck. Might to a bit of paint work on it). Next on the list will probably be the remaining 2 SPAD VIIs and Hanriots.

Haven't picked up a Stakken yet. Don't know if I will.

Started all of this after spending a week or two trying to decided if I wanted to go WoG or SoG. Love the subject matter of them both, but ended up with WoG. One thing I love about this game is -unlike most of my other board/tabletop games- I can actually convince my non-gamer friends to play it. Everyone loves little aeroplanes, apparently.

A little out of focus but I like the angle better. Probably should have used a different lens:

It's Ok, I have two more maps... plus the 4 from the KS :P
    Your hooked

LOOP

A very nice collection Cody
    But only one DR1? and you must have another Siemens Schuckert... and one HD1 is never enough and... Oh did I say that out loud??!!!
    Guess it was my own addiction that spoke
    Cody,you have some fun times ahead of you.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

A commendable start, indeed! It will only get better...err, worse...err, you know what I mean...

All the best,
    Matt

It's all down hill from here Cody. The more you get the more you want. Wait until you get into WGS and of course eventually Sails. Need I say more. Happy flying.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Totally agree with this sentiment - or if you are really curious and have to know do it in a dark place where the wife/significant other can't see the results, lol
    I can just hear the distant echo of "you have spent HOW MUCH????"...

Enjoy, and fill your boots..

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Cody; congrats on the nice start:
    here's what you have to look forward too:
    my inventory 2011:
    Name:  Inventory 2011.png
Views: 411
Size:  739.0 KB

and last year:
    Name:  Inventory 2015.JPG
Views: 434
Size:  118.2 KB

karl
    Attached Images  
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    You think it will take that long?

Welcome to the Drome Cody. Ontario is a large province. I know there are other Wings players there. Hopefully they will chime in and are close enough for a get together.

LOOP

Karl. What is that little box with the red baron on, beside the WGS starterset?
    Is it some special limited edition?
    Last edited by LOOP; 06-20-2016 at 22:56.

Yea, we don't ask those kinds of questions are here

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

>
    Honestly, if I could have found the SoG starter set for less than a C-Bill I might have gotten than instead.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    A very nice collection Cody
    But only one DR1? and you must have another Siemens Schuckert... and one HD1 is never enough and... Oh did I say that out loud??!!!
    Guess it was my own addiction that spoke
    Cody,you have some fun times ahead of you.
    I'm having a very hard time finding any Dr.1s that aren't MvR's. A quick look at Amazon.Canuck and I'm looking at $81 CAD for LvR's, and anywhere from $85- >$100 on scambay.

I'm probably going to acquire the rest of the Shcukerts on my next trip into Toronto, likewise with the Hanriots (as an aside, is it me or is the Hanriot an insanely fun plane to play?)

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    It's all down hill from here Cody. The more you get the more you want. Wait until you get into WGS and of course eventually Sails. Need I say more. Happy flying.
    Unfortunately WGS doesn't really have many planes I want. I personally have little interest in the PTO. I'll probably get there eventually but not for a while. SoG starter packs are pretty rare and expensive. On top of my SW:A collection I'm trying to keep it reasonable (a word I redefine with every purchase LOL)

Honestly, if I could have found the SoG starter set for less than a C-Bill I might have gotten than instead.
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/191407

>;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Not when you add shipping and convert it to CAD. The exchange rate is crap right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Karl. What is that little box with the red baron on, deside the WGS starterset?
    Is it some special limited edition?
    It's a Revel mini snap kit; several years ago, a member (GullyRaker?) posted about using these to build a few different Fokkers. They are a bit large for 1/144, but I thought it was worth the buy in, as this was before Shapeways was known to us. I still haven't done anything with them.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    It's a Revel mini snap kit; several years ago, a member (GullyRaker?) posted about using these to build a few different Fokkers. They are a bit large for 1/144, but I thought it was worth the buy in, as this was before Shapeways was known to us. I still haven't done anything with them.
    Karl
    Never seen one of those.
    The pic on the cover looked just like the one on the WGF delux set but it is an all red Dr1 isn't it? It was a bit hard to see in your pic
    Thanks Karl

LOOP

I'm having a very hard time finding any Dr.1s that aren't MvR's. A quick look at Amazon.Canuck and I'm looking at $81 CAD for LvR's, and anywhere from $85- >$100 on scambay.

I'm probably going to acquire the rest of the Shcukerts on my next trip into Toronto, likewise with the Hanriots (as an aside, is it me or is the Hanriot an insanely fun plane to play?)
    The HD1 IS a very fun plane to fly

I tried very hard not to say this, but found it impossible.
    If you dont mind taking some advice, first thing to try out Shapeways will be to replace the Ares Sopwith Tri(rubbish)plane, keep the bases etc but replace the model asap, you will not regret it once you do

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    If you dont mind taking some advice, first thing to try out Shapeways will be to replace the Ares Sopwith Tri(rubbish)plane, keep the bases etc but replace the model asap, you will not regret it once you do
    I think you were quite calm with this one, Chris.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Eventually I want to do the Black Flight.

First planes from Shapeways will be DH.2s.

My painting skills reside somewhere between "crap" and "non-existant" though. One reason I really like pre-planned minis.

I wanted to play Sails of Glory (SOG) before I got into Wings of Glory (WOG). But for some reason I didn't get in on the Kickstarter campaign. We used to play Wooden Ships and Iron Men and usually enjoyed the game. In fact I still have it though I haven't played in quite some time. I ended up checking the reviews on both WOG and SOG and decided on WOG. Now I'm watching my funds. Between X-Wing and Wings of Glory I'm limited.

I'm not sure I need another collectible game. Maybe if I put together a list of ships and bought in and stopped.

Yeah I hear that. My current two are WoG and Star Wars Armada.

Eventually I want to do the Black Flight.

First planes from Shapeways will be DH.2s.

My painting skills reside somewhere between "crap" and "non-existant" though. One reason I really like pre-planned minis.
    I completely understand, as I share a similar level of modeling skill. Chris is correct, however... especially considering your interest in Collishaw's Black Flight. Though you've got got pre-painted minis, you'll not have a Tripehound until you pick one up from Shapeways.

On that note, does anybody have a recommended Shapeways shop? There's a lot of 144 stuff on there.

I have ordered from most of them and am happy with them all. The designs are good but once in a while the printing can be messy. I've had noticeable stepping and missing rudders, but if you immediately contact Shapeways they will make good.

For which shop, I suppose it really dpends on what aircraft you want and quantity.
    Some of the early designers, Kampfleiger and Colinwe for instance did quite a few different types but mainly as singles.
    Later designers, ie Jbmacek and Reduced Aircraft Factory, also do different types but also do flights of two or three or even more models as a set.
    This is only for WW1 and not a full list, but I have used all four of these designers and can recommend all their models. Take a look at the Shapeways sub section to have a look at various models.
    Any questions just ask, someone will most likely have used the designer you are asking about

Yeah I hear that. My current two are WoG and Star Wars Armada.
    For Armada I got the core and Wave I and stopped. If I add anything it will most likely be on looks or tastes. I did the same for Imperial Assault and Eldritch Horror but added after Wave I. Getting into X-Wing has me thinking that I'll ever be 'all in' on games with never ending expansions.

For me get enough for flavor and a few more for replay and variety. Then I'm good.

Not when you add shipping and convert it to CAD. The exchange rate is crap right now.
    Pity you don't live in British Columbia.... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    For Armada I got the core and Wave I and stopped. If I add anything it will most likely be on looks or tastes. I did the same for Imperial Assault and Eldritch Horror but added after Wave I. Getting into X-Wing has me thinking that I'll ever be 'all in' on games with never ending expansions.

For me get enough for flavor and a few more for replay and variety. Then I'm good.
    I dumped a lot into Armada very quickly, it's easily one of the best tabletop games I've played. Accidentally oops'd some ships from Shapeways for that, too.

Though I pretty much shifted my spending to WoG for two main reasons: WoG can be played solo, and it can be played in under 3 hours. Armada can't do either.

On that note, does anybody have a recommended Shapeways shop? There's a lot of 144 stuff on there.
    For WW1, I've shopped Kampffleiger, Colinwe, Decapod, Jbmacek and Reduced Aircraft Factory. All with good results.

Here's Kampfflieger's tripehound 4 pack:
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/7UE...ionId=41532529

Here's the sticky of designers:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...op-List-Thread

Karl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 17:54