Ares Games

Thread: Wolfbiter's first WGS game impressions!

Default Wolfbiter's first WGS game impressions!

Hello all. My wife and daughter were out at the mall yesterday evening, so I found myself with some time to test out WGS for the first time!

Since I was on my own, I did a simple setup-a solo-player bomber intercept. The goal was for me to shoot down the bomber before it exits the opposite side of the board. I set up my new Lancaster bomber using the Automatic Movement rules, and played 3 quick games: One flying a solo Bf.110, one flying a solo Bf.109, and one double-teaming the 109 and 110 against the Lancaster. I played using the Standard Rules (high and low speed movement, but no altitude)

Unfortunately I failed all three times to shoot down the bomber-a good day for the British, lol! But it was fun and here were my first impressions of the game:

1. Overall, I quite like it! WGS takes a bit more planning and preparation than WGF, but it was still fun. Since I was familiar with the basic game mechanics from WGF, I was able to jump in with the Standard Rules without any difficulty.

2. I definitely noticed the difference in plane movement for WGS. Where the WGF biplanes move short distances with very tight turns, the WGS planes cover a lot of ground and are much harder to make tight maneuvers with. The Lancaster bomber moved WAY faster than I expected...I forgot the lessons of playing X-wing, a huge base covers a lot of distance no matter how short the maneuver is!

3. On that note...for future games of WGS, I think I need to find a bigger table. Our small dining room table has always been fine for WGF dogfights, but I found playing these solo games that usually my planes only got 1 or two chances to fire before the Lancaster was off the board. Anyone have any recommendations for size of play area?

4. However, I do have to say I was very pleased with the Automatic Movement system for solo play! It was easy to manage and worked well, with no major issues for me.

5. Though I'd been a bit hesitant about damage tokens versus damage cards, that worked fine also. Except, of course, for my tendency to draw multiple "0"s when attacking. Oh well!

6. One thing that concerned me, though (and I don't remember having this issue playing WGF) it seemed like measuring from the center of the airplane stand when determining firing range was excessively limiting for the fighters. I don't think there was any time during the game that my fighters were able to get into short range. On the other hand, the bombers, because they fire from the edge of the base, were in range far more often. I'm not sure I liked this...it seems to me that if I add in Altitude rules (which further reduce range if planes are at different heights) it will become almost impossible for planes to hit each other in a dogfight...has anyone else had any issues with this? Or house ruled to just measure range base-to-base? It seems to me that would give more opportunities for firing, but I'd be interested to hear from experienced players on this one. Now to be fair, I was using early war Messerschmitts and haven't tried the later war planes yet, which I gather are much faster, which may give them more ability to get into range.

7. I found that one plane versus a bomber simply couldn't maneuver enough to bring down the bomber alone in time. Two planes working together was much more effective. Working together, my planes almost shot down the Lancaster in the last game (32 damage)...if I hadn't drawn 5 "0" counters I would have scored a victory! Curse you, ill token fortune!

I think WGS is quite fun, but in a different way than WGF. WGF is great for getting a lot of people together and doing quick and easy dogfights. WGS seems like it may be more fun using structured missions and scenarios like bombing runs, interceptions and specific scenario rules rather than straight dogfights. I'm hoping to get my first head-to-head dogfight with fellow WGF player DaveZee next week, I'll try and let everyone know how it goes!

Glad you've been sucked in to WWII, I too play both when I can.
    They are quite different, but I think you've got the gauge of it first time.
    There is a much wider range of speeds in WGS, from the original-ish planes with small cards, to the later war planes with poker size cards, and the possibility of even faster planes with bigger cards.

I did create a damage card deck for WGS, which I'm happy to point you at, on the caveat that you don't sell it etc. Copyright issues etc. Plus you promise you have a WGS R&AP?

I do indeed Foz...I bought it from Aerodrome Accessories!

When the fighters were firing, did you measure from the fighter's peg to bomber's base, David?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbiter View Post
    I think WGS is quite fun, but in a different way than WGF. WGF is great for getting a lot of people together and doing quick and easy dogfights. WGS seems like it may be more fun using structured missions and scenarios like bombing runs, interceptions and specific scenario rules rather than straight dogfights. I'm hoping to get my first head-to-head dogfight with fellow WGF player DaveZee next week, I'll try and let everyone know how it goes!
    Excellent AAR Dave, your closing statement is probably the best worded difference between WGF and WGS, WGF is more about the quick dogfights and WGS is much more tactical and needs more thought and preparation.
    Both are fantastic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    When the fighters were firing, did you measure from the fighter's peg to bomber's base, David?
    That's what I did...did I misread the game instructions on this?

Thumbs up

Good to see you broadening you experience into WW2.
    Yes you do need about 3 fighters to bring down those bombers & a long table.
    You could try flying to one end & then back again before you get a bigger playing surface.

LOOP

Great to read a WGS review from an experienced WGF player.
    I have been temped to get into WGS but have resisted so far

I need a helmet......

Hi David,

Welcome aboard the WGS express. If you are anything like I was after my first game all disposable income will not be directed at expanding your air fleet! If I may I will share some observations that may prove useful.

I played using the Standard Rules (high and low speed movement, but no altitude)
    When attacking bombers altitude is absolutely necessary. For some you can attack from below limiting their return fire. Also when attacking from higher you get an extra 'A' damage chit each time you engage. One of the keys to killing bombers is critical damage so the more damage chits you can throw at them the better. 'A' damage might be light on points but fire, engine and crew hits are just as deadly. Check out this AAR where a Gladiator takes out a Heinkel single-handed thanks to critical damage - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...gian-Gladiator

1. Overall, I quite like it! WGS takes a bit more planning and preparation than WGF, but it was still fun.
    You are right about the preparation bit. To save time I put enough counters for two aircraft in a clipseal plastic bag so I can throw it at a player and they have all they need. For each aircraft you need the following:
    - 1 high speed marker
    - 1 slow speed marker
    - 2 blank speed markers
    - 6 flame counters
    - 6 smoke counters
    - 6 climb counters (more for bombers, but six will do for most aircraft)

3. On that note...for future games of WGS, I think I need to find a bigger table. Our small dining room table has always been fine for WGF dogfights, but I found playing these solo games that usually my planes only got 1 or two chances to fire before the Lancaster was off the board. Anyone have any recommendations for size of play area?
    I would recommend at least two Wings of Glory sized mats. I have printed up several B0 size (1000mm x 1414mm) aerial photos of various locations to use for WGS and they can cope with a dozen aircraft no problem. There is a how to article here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...highlight=maps

5. Though I'd been a bit hesitant about damage tokens versus damage cards, that worked fine also. Except, of course, for my tendency to draw multiple "0"s when attacking. Oh well!
    I use coloured plastic containers for my damage chits. You can pass them around the table without spillage, lid on give it a good shake then unscrew and select. Have a look at the table layout here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...September-1941

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3850.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	199368

6. One thing that concerned me, though (and I don't remember having this issue playing WGF) it seemed like measuring from the center of the airplane stand when determining firing range was excessively limiting for the fighters. I don't think there was any time during the game that my fighters were able to get into short range. On the other hand, the bombers, because they fire from the edge of the base, were in range far more often.
    Bombers don't fire from the edge of the base. They have red dots signifying gun positions, you fire from them. The tail gunner is almost at the edge of the base for most bombers, which is why I try not to attack from that aspect alone. From my experience the large base on the bombers actually allows fighters in the right position to get hits more easily. Beam attacks are good for this.

7. I found that one plane versus a bomber simply couldn't maneuver enough to bring down the bomber alone in time. Two planes working together was much more effective. Working together, my planes almost shot down the Lancaster in the last game (32 damage)...if I hadn't drawn 5 "0" counters I would have scored a victory! Curse you, ill token fortune!
    You are on the money. Attack with as many aircraft as you can from the same approach. Bombers have plenty of guns but only so many can point one way. If you attack with your fighters from different directions it just allows the bombers a chance to give your team more damage chits. Have a look at this AAR from Cancon a couple of years back with P-40s attacking Bettys and you will see what I mean - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...942-(Part-One)

Again you have it right. There are so many more mission types available to WGS in many more theatres of war. The following is a ground attack mission on the Russian Front - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-November-1941

Cheers,

Carl.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 06-17-2016 at 00:41.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Welcome aboard David. I have both and enjoy playing both. Lately oi have been eerimenting with WWII bombers. Today I flew a B17 against 3 Zeros, the luck of the draw carried the day. I've tried a Lancaster and 2 Spitfire Mk. IX against 3 FW190's, the Lancaster survived both times.
    The bombers fire from the dots on the base like explained in this thread. Be careful some of the firing arcs can be tricky.
    Good luck and enjoy your flying.

Sorry, everyone...I did not communicate clearly about measuring from the bomber to the fighters. I was using the red machine gun dot on the Lancaster to measure firing range; but since the rear gun is located right near the edge of the base, I said "edge of base."

Apologies for the confusion.

Similar Missions

1. Wolfbiter returns to WoG with questions about the WW2 set!
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-10-2016, 08:58
  2. First Plays / First Impressions
    By RJames in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2015, 21:09
  3. Wolfbiter has been nominated for a medal!
    By diceslinger in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 02:28
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 04:45
  5. Wolfbiter Returns!
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 17:22