Ares Games

Thread: IDEA!!!! Long distance gaming!!!!

Smile IDEA!!!! Long distance gaming!!!!

This is just an idea to throw about at the mo, but how about trying a virtual game???? For example, something like they do with chess. It would involve a lot of trust, and a board description, aircraft used etc etc. The possibilities would be that we, this side of the oggin (sea to land lubbers), could play games with others on t'other side.

It may also give us something to do in Winter Quarters. Anyone wish to ellaborate. Throw some other ideas into the melting pot?????

I think what you're describing is an online version of WOW. There have been a number of these already organized through the Aerodrome. Do a search and you might be able to check the thread(s) about it and see how they did it and how it has worked out. If memory serves me, it has gone quite smoothly.

Scott

Hate to break it to you but there is/was a rather large PBEM (Play By E-Mail) group on here, but there was a whole saga with copyright / lawyers / spoof emails....

Do a search under "PBEM" and you may find an Underground network still active.

As Michelle from the Resistance often quipped...

"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only wanze"

So!!!!! Shot down before even starting lol. Thing is that we would still be using the models, just passing messages through this medium to play! It's not as though we can afford to fly to the states or Australia for a quick game!

I also thing they may be thinking about bringing out an online game!!!!

Thanks for your input chaps.......

Chris, I've never PBEM but If you are going forward with this, I'd start with emailing a picture of the set up to all participants, then email a picture on subsequent moves. The organizer would be in charge of movement, damage cards, tailing checks, tokens etc. at the end of each move.
    This is my contribution. I hope others will improve/add to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Chris, I've never PBEM but If you are going forward with this, I'd start with emailing a picture of the set up to all participants, then email a picture on subsequent moves. The organizer would be in charge of movement, damage cards, tailing checks, tokens etc. at the end of each move.
    This is my contribution. I hope others will improve/add to this.
    Sounds a good idea, thanks.

Default Idea

What you could do is this.

Two planes face each other at a predetermine distance. Each player sends a card to play in turn to the other player. Each player moves the models or cards on there individual tables. No altitude in this style of play. Just a thought.

Wolf

At one point I remember hearing or reading about an XBOX 360 Live Arcade version of WoW... not sure what happened to that...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Over on Forumini, we do Play-by-Post with AAM right on the forum with graphic-artist-generated maps at the start of each turn--maybe something like that could work over here too.

Maybe designate start-positions by the top-center of the card's distance from nearest corner by compass heading? (Example: 2" north and 1" east of Southwest Corner, heading 090 would mean your plane is 2" from the map bottom, 1" from left edge, parallel to top and bottom edges, facing the right edge.)

Good luck...I think trust and time are going to be the delimiting factors here

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    At one point I remember hearing or reading about an XBOX 360 Live Arcade version of WoW... not sure what happened to that...
    I had the X-Box version and it was rubbish. Way too arcadey for me

Perhaps another Idea would be a given start points on a given sized table. Then the planes and card decks needed. As it's three cards these are sent over pm to the person playing. Moves are made accordingly and sent back to opposite number.

Or perhaps a PbP subforum could have post-editing disabled. Over on FM, we also have a Mod watch each game to make sure that nobody edits a post to alter their moves without the other players consenting to a "rewind".

Similar Missions

1. Is This A Bad Idea?
    By csadn in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 07:25
  2. Distance traveled to play Wings of War
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-27-2010, 12:49