Ares Games

Thread: wacky wings Murder of Crow expansion rules

Default wacky wings Murder of Crow expansion rules

Name:  20160605_075219.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  150.2 KB
    The Murder of Crow expansion is used during regular game play during take offs, landings and crashes.
    This expansion is just to add a short twist to the game. (This was an experiment to find out if it would be fun, the rule are not writen in stone)
    When a plane crashes it stirs up 2 seperate murders of crow. The first murder of crow card goes either on the nose or tail depending on which is closer to the center of the map the card stays in line with the fuselage, the second card is placed in line with the wing flying directly away on the side closest to the center of the map. Every turn you will roll a six sided die to determin the direction of flight. If the crows come within a half rulers distance of a plane, you roll for damage. 1 take a damage card, 2 take 2 damage cards, 3 take 3 damage, 4 crows land and do not activate untill a crash, take off or landing, 5 nothing happens, 6 crash. The crows will only fly for 6 movement turns before returning to the fields. As if being a pilot in ww1 wasnt bad enough!

Dang, natural hazards!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Birdstrikes ... Hell yeah why not Kermit because as Karl advocates they are a clear and present danger to aircraft ... even today.

I do like the extra realism which this idea presses into the game. Looking at the typical WW1 airfield set up this often lent itself to the presence of fowl / foul ... hehehe within the airfield operational area and for 200 to 500 feet outside of the threshold. Now I always take off and land if nothing else has occurred within my Solitaire games but this I am aware of is my preference as a real pilot. When it comes to crashes there is a chance that crows / rooks could be disturbed unless the aircraft which crashes came down from a significant height which is where the pursuing aircraft is also most likely to be found.

But I am a little concerned over the fact that though it's not the height factor or that landing and taking off are optional within Wings of Glory - it's the D-Bomb! Dice throwing can and does accentuate effects such as this to an effective degree ... However what potentially makes Glory players frown upon dice-throwing the most is the smooth flow of the game as is being presented with disruptions whilst the dice are thrown and what they determine is derived / the results are then acted upon. Bolt Action is my common example as I used to play it of where the D-Bomb struck so seriously during the middle of our last game (my moves - entailing six separate dice throws) that I caught the Wife looking at her phone. Probably the last time we played as she admitted there and then that she was bored! But yet she has never been bored playing Glory and has now reached what I regard as a significant skill level. Now this is very much a scaled down version of our Bolt Action situation but I still reckon that the idea may suffer from a spot of rollophobia.

You'll have us on Lightning Strikes next I bet!

I agree with the dice bomb thing myself (as I was also playing bolt action at the time of inception). The dice could be changed out for tokens or a spinner which would be more appropriate. Im not so sure I would do the lightning thing......well let me think about it ..he he.

This one looks fun, are the cards in the files section?

As soon as I update the cards I will post them to the files sections.

LOOP

Any altituderules?

I really havent considered altitude rules, i wanted to both keep it simple and still expandable for those who wish to add their own dimensions. Thanks for the interest...it keeps me motivated.

LOOP

Only kidding .
    If you were to have some realistic altitude rules the crows will never reach the planes unless flying very low.
    No hard feelings I hope.

LOOP

But seriously. Some sort of altitude rule would be nice.
    Say that the crows have a climbrate of 1 or 2 (being so many) maybe go up and down following the throw of the eventdice.
    Say up on 1 and 2. Down on 3 and 4. Same level on 5 and 6.
    Starting level? well let the Crows start on the same level as the lowest flying AC...

Just thinking out loud....

Similar Missions

1. Wacky Wings of War
    By spookiedfx in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-07-2021, 10:00
  2. wacky wings ghost plane expansion rules
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2016, 10:10
  3. wacky wings, not as wacky as you think, or am I ?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2016, 14:01
  4. wacky wings what?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2016, 14:16
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 09:37