Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IJN Ryujo Construction Yard

Oh, yes!

Happy, happy!!!!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks for keeping an eye on my progress Tim and let me know if you see anything that needs to be corrected

OOhh that is looking so good. Your plan is certainly giving me an insight into how to construct Ryujo in 1/200.

Quote Originally Posted by THECCRICH View Post
    Day one of 2 day weekend:

Attachment 199642
    See you on the Dark Side......

Ooh
    My brain has frozen so I'm throwing in the towel.

I though for sure I would finish today; but that is before I tried to place a circle over the shaded aft elevator...
    I'm surrendering for the day but can just reach the bow from here...
    Thanks for watching her with me and I will ready the champagne...
    I mean Sake...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ryujo Construction Yard 15Y.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	199726

Superb Chris. "Never surrender, never give up"! Don't push yourself too hard, it will get done when it gets done.

Thank you Teaticket,

I should have said taking a break instead of giving up...
    I really enjoy making these, and hated having to stop for the day...
    Thanks for the pep talk good sir...

Chris

I know you were just taking a break. You seem to really push yourself quite hard with these, don't over do it. We don't want you to burn out. I'm sure there is now an endless list of top downs and we want to see then all!

Thank you Teaticket,

I should have said taking a break instead of giving up...
    I really enjoy making these, and hated having to stop for the day...
    Thanks for the pep talk good sir...

Chris

Nearly done. More inspiration for me to get going on mine.

Superb! Almost done!
    Thank you Blackronin, the idea for the Ryujo was yours sir.
    I have to admit I didn't even know of her.

I'm sure there is now an endless list of top downs and we want to see then all!
    Teaticket I am with you on that one... I am already thinking about the IJN destroyer and cargo ship next (both proposed by Blackronin and I will probable start with the destroyer first).
    But man I can't get enough of this...

Nearly done. More inspiration for me to get going on mine.
    Now that one I can't wait to see sir Skafloc... It is going to be awesome...

Questions for the group please:

1. You guys know that I only colored a plan that I grabbed off of Google right?
    That goes for all of my top downs to date.
    I could probable make the drawings myself but no guarantees on that one...
    I wanted to make sure I wasn't misrepresenting myself with these projects...

Name:	Ryujo 1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	200046

2. Are the finlike landing aids protruding from the back of the ship grating, or would they be solidly colored like the stripes on the very back of the carrier..?
    I would have no problem going solid if need be... Please if someone could let me know...

3. Were the Nakajima and Yokosuka carrier capable, or would one have to stretch history to man Ryujo with them (granted she was sunk well before they even flew).

4. I have a carrier landing mod for Allied ships, would anybody be interested in an IJN version of the mod..? I already have the IJN landing and take off cards made, only difference is (Per Tora Tora Tora [In depth researcher here]) it looks like they would launch large flights one after the other at the drop of the ships flag. If you are interested, I will upload the cards to the file section (Allied cards appear in back of the Allied Carrier Mod already uploaded http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2041 ).

I Finished her…
    This is the completed image, barring any WELCOMED feedback that is...
    I have to QA, scale, and print test it; but, she is being staffed with IJN crew as we speak...
    I was in a hurry with this one, because I wanted to get her underway with Japanese aircraft operations ASAP…!

Name:	Ryujo Construction Yard 16Y.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	200045

Thank you sirs,
    Chris
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 06-21-2016 at 21:34.

Hosho had a similar deck length and width so the following should answer your quetsion:

Hōshō had a normal capacity of fifteen aircraft, subject to the limitations of her hangars. She was first commissioned with an air group of nine Mitsubishi 1MF (Type 10) fighters and three to six Mitsubishi B1M3 (Type 13) torpedo bombers. In 1928, the fighters were replaced by the A1N1 (Type 3). Three years later the air group consisted of Nakajima A2N (Type 90) fighters and Mitsubishi B2M (Type 89) torpedo bombers. In 1938 Nakajima A4N (Type 95) fighters and Yokosuka B3Y (Type 92) bombers flew from the ship. In 1940 the air group was modernized with Mitsubishi A5M (Type 96) "Claude" fighters and Yokosuka B4Y1 (Type 96) "Jean" bombers

I would think the main consideration is the size of the elevators to accomodate the later war aircraft.

Nice....

Thank you Skafloc...
    That definitely answers that question about the Nakajima and Yokosuka being carrier capable...

Chris

The bigger issue with the IJN planes was whether the crews were trained for carrier ops. This became much less common as the war progressed, as training times were cut.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Carriers are limited in aircraft operation by the size of the elevators, the weight-bearing load of the same said elevators, and the take-off length available to get a loaded machine into the air (this can be coupled with the speed of the ship - steaming faster into the wind allows a shorter take-off run).

Hosho carried biplanes almost exclusively (apart from the A5M Claudes) because her slow speed, coupled with a short flight deck, meant that "high lift" biplanes were the most practical to launch. The later larger, heavier monoplanes were eventually carried, but only with a greatly lengthened flight deck with a large overhang both forward and aft, fitted in 1944. This reduced her sea-keeping quality to a dangerously low level, so she was confined to "inland sea" areas and was no longer ocean-going. In this late configuration, she was exclusively a training carrier.

Ryujo carried the large and heavy 'Val' and 'Kate' bombers, but not the 'Judy'. By the time of her sinking, in August 1942, only "Soryu" had carried any (2 reconnaissance planes at Midway). The 'Kate' was the only plane from her air group which could fit onto her small aft elevator - the others could only use the forward one. Since the 'Judy' was smaller than the 'Val' it could conceivably have flown from the "Ryujo" had she survived longer.

Great input on those new aircraft in comparison to carrier operations sirs,

Now with a little time/reality bending, I will fill her deck with my inventory of Japanese minis.

I would show you the latest image, but I don't have one...

THAT'S BECAUSE IT IS SITTING IN THE MODERATOR'S QUEUE, COMPLETED, SCALED, AND AWAITING APROVAL...!!! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...........................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Onto the Next...

Thank you again guys for all the great info and support.
    Chris

To date, the Nakajimas are the fastest carrier aircraft produced by the Wings of Glory line, and will be much harder to land on a flat top.
    If they miss a cable, it will be interesting to see if they can get back airborne in time...

Japanese Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate Load Plan:
    Climb Rate: 2
    Max Altitude: 13
    Fuel Unit Use: 1 (lb) Slow / 3 (lb) Fast

FUEL:__________________________________________________________________

Fuel Considerations and Capacities:
    Internal capacity: 196 US gal (1176 lb) + 2 x optional drop tanks at 53 US gal (318 lb) each. The use of drop tanks competes with bomb loads
    1 US Gal = 6 lb = 6.87 miles ∙ Estimated Range: 1,347 miles
    Fuel Required to Target Area:
    (_____miles one way + _____ miles cushion) x 6 / 6.87 (x 1.25 if heavy loaded) = _____ lb fuel
    Fuel Required from Target Area:
    (_____miles one way + _____ miles cushion) x 6 / 6.87 (x 1.25 if heavy loaded) = _____ lb fuel
    Fuel Required Engaging Target (FRET):
    (slow cards _____ x 1 lb) + (fast cards _____ x 3 lb) = _____ lb fuel

= ________ Total lb*
    *Fuel total not to exceed 1176 lb or 1,812 lb with 2 x dropt tanks

MPG=6.87 ∙ SFBR= 213mph or 3.55mpm ∙ FWOGR= 386mph or 6.43mpm ∙ SFBR= 3.10ppm ∙ FFBR= 11.23ppm
    CREW:_________________________________________________________________

Crew complement:
    1 x Pilot Number of crewmembers _____ x 200 lb = _________ Total lb

STANDARD ARMAMENT:_ _______ ______________________________________

(12.77 mm) Forward-firing Ho-103 Machine Guns
    For each turn the pilot fires, 12 rounds are fired from each gun #1 through #2. Single 12.7 mm (.5 inch) round weight = .33 lb per round

#1 left upper nose mounted 12.7 mm (.5 inch) FF (350 r capacity at 116 lb total)
    _____ rounds / 12 = _____ available trigger pulls _____ rounds x .33 = _____ lb+
    #2 right upper nose mounted 12.7 mm (.5 inch) FF (350 r capacity at 116 lb total)
    _____ rounds / 12 = _____ available trigger pulls _____ rounds x .33 = _____ lb+

(20 mm) Forward-firing Ho-5 Machine Guns
    For each turn the pilot fires, 5 rounds are fired from each gun #3 through #4. Single 20mm round weight = 1.35 lb per round

#3 left 20 mm leading edge forward fining cannon (150 round capacity at 203 lb total)
    _____ rounds / 5 = _____ available trigger pulls _____ rounds x 1.35 = _____ lb+
    #4 right 20 mm leading edge forward fining cannon (150 round capacity at 203 lb total)
    _____ rounds / 5 = _____ available trigger pulls _____ rounds x 1.35 = _____ lb

= _________ Total lb
    Japanese Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate Load Plan:

BOMBS: _______________________________________________________________

Bomb Load Capacity:
    Bomb load competes with drop tanks
    1 x 551 lb bomb carried on each of 2 outer wing hardpoints = _________ Total lb

OPTIONAL ARMAMENT:_ _______________________________________________

No options

TOTAL LOAD:___________________________________________________________

Equipment Load Bearing Considerations:
    8,576 lb Max Takeoff Weight
    5,864 lb Dry Weight
    2,712 lb Max Takeoff Load Availability

Final Weight and Balance:

Fuel = _____ lb
    Crew = _____ lb
    Standard Armament = _____ lb
    Bombs = _____ lb
    Optional Armament = _____ lb

= ________ Total lb*

*Total must not exceed 2,712 lb
    *Total must not exceed 1,807 lb for short/grass runways/carrier take off roll
    *Total of 903 lb or less could potentially result in -1 climb rate with an increase of 1 level of max altitude capability. Fuel expenditures would be reduced to: 1 Slow / 2 Fast
    *Total of 1,808 lb or more would result in a Full Load, inability to perform immelmann turns, at least 2 non-steep maneuvers, rather than one, between steep maneuvers, and cannot plan high speed maneuvers except those produced by game effect. Slow speeds would expend 3 Fuel units and the climb rate is increased by + 1.
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 06-22-2016 at 21:14.

Umm...... a small problem here. The Nakajima Ki-84 is an army plane. So even if a carrier-trained pilot flew it, no arrestor gear
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

To date, the Nakajimas are the fastest carrier aircraft produced by the Wings of Glory line, and will be much harder to land on a flat top.
    If they miss a cable, it will be interesting to see if they can get back airborne in time...
    Umm...... a small problem here. The Nakajima Ki-84 is an army plane. So even if a carrier-trained pilot flew it, no arrestor gear
    Karl
    Ooh... Um... Ya... About that...

I should have mentioned if Nakajimas were carrier aircraft, they would have been the fastest produced by the Wings line...

That definitely puts a dent in my plan...

Thank you Jager
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 06-23-2016 at 04:38.

They are your planes and ships to do with what you want Chris....always options for experimental units? (Just don't try to play this option when Karl is around.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Karl

Mega Facepalm
    Super LOL...!!!

To your point Peter... Ya... Um... That um... experimental army unit with arrester hooks installed... for... um... carrier trials... right..?

I am having to wait until an ink cartridge arrives before even I can print her out...

I have been checking the, Files, World War II sections for the Ryujo upload to clear the Moderator Queue and will post a link to the Ryujo once she uploads into files.

I don't know if you all intend to sink her during battles, attempt to land on her, or both; but, I have landing gear boxes for all existing Japanese aircraft (not the Yokosuka yet):
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1986

They are a lot simpler to make than they appear
    Chris

Super LOL...!!!

To your point Peter... Ya... Um... That um... experimental army unit with arrester hooks installed... for... um... carrier trials... right..?
    Or a less likely option
    The IJN and IJA cooperate to ferry fighters to a forward base, and they have to fight their way in
    Karl

Um, ya...

Ah I think I remember reading that someplace... Um ah, ya I think that's the way it went down... Um...

LOL... Thank you Karl..

While waiting for the Moderator Queue to release Ryujo, I added lift in down position images.
    These can either be printed as permanently up or down, or as individual cards that may be laid over the up positioned lift to signal the lift in the down position.
    I am also considering some of the IJN john boats as individual boats to run personnel to and from/pick up downed pilots.

Name:	Ryujo Construction Yard 18Y.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	200725
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 06-27-2016 at 05:03.

That's looking really sharp, Chris.
    Might have to start actually doing something with all my PTO WGS aircraft!

Thank you Stumptonian, I can't wait to get some of those new Dauntless and old Vals in the action; I'm with you on that one.
    Thanks for checking here out sir...

Amazing work, Chris!
    Thanks for this.
    REP!

Very nice work, Chris.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Amazing work, Chris!
    Thanks for this.
    REP!

Thank you for the REP you guys...!!!
    Looks like it is still not released from the Moderator's Queue...

Superb Chris and I love the lift up/down position choice.

Thank you Skafloc,

I just printed my first copy of Ryujo,

Definitely want to use the Best print setting and uncheck fit to page:

She is still in the Moderator's Queue though

Name:	IMG_0956 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	200754

Fantastic!

Have a little more REP, that man!

From me as well - simply stunning

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Thank you again sirs...

It is definitely worth waiting to print from the Bitmap images instead of Jpeg because of the additional detail available.
    I'm checking through out the day for it to upload; but, need to also upload the lift options as well.

Thank you for the interest in the project,
    Chris

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Chris, your work on this turned out splendidly! If only I were interested in the Pacific Theater...ah, well, I can still appreciate great work...

Nice job!

All the best,
    Matt

I've never seen the moderator queue step take this long...
    Hmm...

Send a PM to one of the site moderators. They'll help.

Who are they if I may Blackronin..?

Exclamation

I think the delay may be because Eric (7eat51) is off duty due to his wife's serious illness.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I think the delay may be because Eric (7eat51) is off duty due to his wife's serious illness.
    That's my thought also...
    Maybe a PM to Keith, Chris?

I forgot he was wrestling with a loved one's illness.
    Rather insensitive of me actually.

Thank you guys,
    Chris

I will advised when she uploads...
    I check her daily

In the mean time, I will get started on the IJN destroyer...

Ryujo now available:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2341

Thanks to the help of friends

What type of destroyer Chris? Fubuki?

Ryujo now available:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2341

Thanks to the help of friends
    Got it downloaded - will get it printed off in the next couple of days.

This might trigger my dive into WGS

What type of destroyer Chris? Fubuki?
    I was headed toward the Kagero Class but haven't laid the first pixle yet sir.

What are your thoughts..?

Chris

Got it downloaded - will get it printed off in the next couple of days.

This might trigger my dive into WGS
    That gets me excited about doing more of these sir...
    Thank you for your help with the upload sir...

That gets me excited about doing more of these sir...
    Thank you for your help with the upload sir...
    Glad to get be of assistance, and what's this "sir" thing ?

Got them all printed

Now to get them joined up tomorrow ...
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 07-19-2016 at 21:13.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Liberty Ship Contstruction Yard
    By THECCRICH in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 05-23-2016, 23:34
  2. Akagi and Ryujo
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 09:11
  3. KoTA 7C Destroy the Balloon yard.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions