Ares Games

Thread: AAR PTO Mission 7 - Traitors

Default AAR PTO Mission 7 - Traitors

April 17, 1942

Dear Father:

I hope this letter finds you and dear mother well.
    I'm worried about big brother. He looks defeated and tormented. I try to cheer him up but I know that the smile he offers me is just to reassure me.
    We're done with the American planes. Good riddance. Though I loved to fly them they were only trouble for brother and me.
    Many pilots were infuriated that we piloted enemy planes and called us traitors. Baka!
    Last mission with the P-40´s was a disaster and scarred brother deeply. Maybe for life...
    We were coming back from a routine patrol...

Soichi was the first one to see them. "Chūi Mikeyung!" "Go ahead Jun-i Soichi Seki." "Four planes coming to us from South-east!" Soich had as good eyes as he was fast to laugh. "Well spotted, Soichi." "Arigatō gozaima****a, Chūi!" There was gratitude in Soichi words and I felt proud of Big Brother. His men loved him.

"These planes seem to be ours..." I ventured. "Yes little brother, they belong to the Army, but be careful, they might think we're American."

"Bank to their side so they can see our marks." And we all did that.

But my apprehension rose as I saw them keeping their course to intercept us. "Maybe we should use evasive maneuvers, big brother?" "Īe! Keep you course. They will see soon that we're friendly." And we kept our course.

And then their leader and second fired against Shōi Mitsubishi Kinsei. "They think we're Americans", he said with a cool voice, "I've taken hits!"

As we crossed each others path we signaled them. We were so close that they couldn't confound us with Americans anymore. "This is Chūi Mikeyung! We're Japanese pilots! Please stand down!" Big brother was speaking quickly on the radio.

They were so close that I recognized them! They were from a Squadron stationed in one of the Army airfields we used several times. The leader of this squadron hated us and called us traitors several times. I was starting to have a knot in the bottom of my stomach. And one of them fired at Soichi. "They still don't recognize us?" He laughed incredulous.

And the last one hit my tail section. "Brother..." I began to say.

But brother interrupted me in a cold voice. Maybe he also was beginning to phantom what I clearly saw. "Men! Open left and right! Imperial Army squadron! Stand down immediately. You are firing against fighter planes of the Imperial Navy!"

And then we heard the reply. The mocking voice of Taii Fishida Takoei. "We are firing against cowards and traitors flying American planes. We are cleaning the shame you brought to the Imperial forces!"

And bullets raked the plane of Big Brother. We were in a big trouble.

"What shall we do, big brother?!" More than against the enemy fighters I was afraid. "Men! American tactics. Defend yourself. Damage the army planes but don't take them down." His voice was cold and calming at the same time.

Because they were able to place themselves in our back brother kept being hit. And I understood that they wanted him more than us. "They want you!" I said. His reply was short. "Good!"

I followed him in a half loop as we readied the tactics we trained during the last weeks.

Our comrades went for the same tactics.

They kept firing at brother and there was nothing I could do.

And there was nothing I could do to prevent them to fire against me. We had to reverse the upper hand or we would be done and these dogs would say that they confound us for Americans.

Then they filled Soichi's plane with bullets. His plane cracked and we could hear him screaming as he went down spiraling.

Soichi! The always happy and friendly Soichi! As he was going up into a half-loop we heard big brother's voice. "Take them down! Take them all down."

And then we were finally reversing, the dirty army dogs away from our tails.

"Keep them distracted, Mitsubishi. We'll come to help you." said brother.

And they kept pounding at brother. But he went out of the half-loop like an ace.

Mitsubishi was biding for his time.

And to their surprise brother put an accurate burst into one of the machines.

They fell for our tactic.

We were no longer at their mercy. Now it was time to score hits.

Once again Big Brother went out of the loop in a perfect horizontal flight and with the enemy on his cross-hair.

The wounded Hayabusa fired at me.

And then brother took him down.

The Hayabusa went down in flames. "You'll pay for this, American lover", shouted Taii Fishida Takoei in our ears. But the cold reply of brother scared me more. "You won't leave this combat alive", he said.

And as the odds were becoming even we went for our third half loop in a row.

Mitsubishi took fire from Takoei's wingman.

But he paid him back the full amount.

And now the army boys were between our planes.

I had one of them in my cross-hairs.

And he made the mistake to try a reverse in front of us.

I hit him squarely.

And Big Brother added to the injury.

As he passed us by I saw that he was scared. But now it was too late...

I fired at Takoei's wingman making good damage.

His plane broke in the sky. These planes are so fragile, I thought... But Takoei broke radio silence and cut my thoughts clean.

"Truce! We took one of you. You took two of us. Let's stop here. We say it was an accident." We were reversing. Brother's reply was short and dry. "Īe!"

Brother fired at the third Hayabusa. It raked it with bullets.

It went down like a dead butterfly. Takoei broke radio silence again and his voice was more scared now. "You took three of us now. Let's stop here. I willsay it was an accident of my fault." We were reversing again. Brother's reply was still short and dry. "Īe!"

And we went for the last reverse of the battle. I was getting very fatigued and a sadness was filling my chest.

Takoei stopped fighting. His plane was flying steadily in a straight course. His courage had abandoned him.

I and Mitsubishi fired at him. "Stop firing!" Big Brother said.

But our guns had already connected... Was Brother allowing him to leave?

"Fly straight, Little Brother! Fly straight!"

I obeyed. Brother turned sharply left.

He fired a long burst that hammered the Hayabusa down.

"Form on me", he said.

In silence we returned to the airfield.

In this Mission:

Chūi Quinn Mikeyung (Ace - Evasion) Ace Ability: Sniper (11 Kills and 1 Shared kill - 3 shame kills during this mission)
    Chūi Nikou Mikeyung (Veteran - Evasion) (4 Kills - 1 shame kill during this mission)
    Shōi Mitsubishi Kinsei (Standard)
    Jun-i Soichi Seki (Standard) - KIA

1. The Imperial Army pilots were:

White Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Veteran) - Taii Fishida Takoei - (shot down)
    Yellow Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Veteran) (shot down)
    Yellow Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Standard) (shot down)
    Black Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Standard) (shot down)

2. Nuno flown the Imperial Army pilots.

3. My pilots could not fire back until:
    One was shot down or;
    One had engine or was wounded or;
    All four P-40´s were hit.

Butchers Tally

Japanese Navy Squadron

Chūi Quinn Mikeyung / RTB / FT
    Chūi Nikou Mikeyung / RTB / FT
    Shōi Mitsubishi Kinsei / RTB / FT
    Jun-i Soichi Seki (Standard) / KIA / FT

Japanese Army Squadron

White Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Veteran) - Taii Fishida Takoei - (shot down)
    Yellow Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Veteran) (shot down)
    Yellow Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Standard) (shot down)
    Black Nosed Ki-43 Hayabusa (Standard) (shot down)

Note: This mission counts as a Mission Cap
    Last edited by Blackronin; 05-13-2016 at 08:36.

Wow. What a mission and story. Wow again.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great story line Joaquim. The rivalry between the Japanese Army and Navy was serious. Thank goodness for the rest of the world they didn't cooperate well if at all because if it. Though it doesn't bode well for our gaming campaign!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Wow. What a mission and story. Wow again.
    Thanks Neil. You're too kind.
    Thanks for the REP.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great story line Joaquim. The rivalry between the Japanese Army and Navy was serious. Thank goodness for the rest of the world they didn't cooperate well if at all because if it. Though it doesn't bode well for our gaming campaign!
    Yes. It was dead serious.
    But the army was more fanatic and terrifying.
    You know how our campaign will end, don't you?

Thanks for the REP.

I enjoyed reading the AAR! Nice storyline too. REP rockets coming your way.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 15:27
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 06:07
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-12-2014, 12:50
  4. Solo Mission 4: Luftaufklärungsauftrag (Air reconnaissance Mission).
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 05:12