Ares Games

Thread: Sopwith Pup

sucklingpig

Default Sopwith Pup

Does anyone have an idea about what a Pup card would look like, i.e. damage points, damage deck, maneuver deck, etc...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

This came up the other day on the Yahoo group, and the following was suggested:

> Hi you are right on the mark to what we use. We used an I deck, B guns,
    > 13 points damage, and 4 climb rate.

Offhand that looks pretty good to me - definitely the right speed band, and it seems the best deck available - if there was something in the same speed range with a 90 degree turn both ways I'd be tempted by that (I've always gotten the impression the Pup was a little nippier than the Nieuport 17, although it's not something I'd swear by....) but with the available decks it's academic - the Nieuport's I Deck seems the best fit available. (The others in the same speed band are not at all agile, or the Dr.I's deck with its turn-to-the-right bias, so not good options for the Pup.)

Dom.

Good to know - thanks Dom

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

You're welcome - I have several on my "must build one day" pile, so remembered the subject cropping up....

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

The Pup and 1 /12 strutter seem odd omissions from the game. Because there were no stats or cards for either I haven't bothered adding them to my own "must build one day" pile.

Now we know how the Pup should play, could someone with the appropriate skills make us a card please?

grizzly

My Skytrex Pup arrived yesterday and was going to ask the same question

I too think that it should have a 90 degree turn left and right, I think a slower F deck would be about right, pity it doesn't exist. The I deck seems to be the closest existing deck.

Climb rate 4 and 13 damage seems about right to me.

Yes please to a card

I think that a Q deck(the one of the Aviatik DI) should be OK
    It has 90 degree turns both left and right and the speed of the I deck
    Maybe you could add the tight-slip turn of the I deck

I don't yet have a "Q" deck. Is it available in one of the card packs?

It does seem odd that several key aircraft from the late 1916 to early 1917 time period are missing, some from even having cards.
    These would include:
    Albatros DII
    Nieuport 11 (card available could use the N16 model)
    Sopwith Pup
    Sopwith Tripe (card available)

Having 2 of the allied, the Alb DII & another Central Powers aircraft from that time frame sounds like a great set for WW1.

Pooh
    Last edited by Pooh; 10-27-2010 at 10:49. Reason: word choice

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I've never come across the Q deck either - having just had a quick rummage it seems it's in the Hit And Run booster pack - must remember to add one next time I'm ordering a restock, as it sounds like it might be just the job....

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    It does seem odd that several key aircraft from the late 1916 to early 1917 time period are missing, some from even having cards.
    These would include:
    Albatros DII
    Nieuport 11 (card available could use the N16 model)
    Sopwith Pup
    Sopwith Tripe (card available)
    Pooh
    You could add:
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter
    FE2b
    BE2c
    DH2 (card available)

The early war seems to be under-represented at the moment. I understand release 5 will give us the DH2 and Fokker EIII, but we are missing some of the key aircraft of the war prior to (and sometimes during) Bloody April.

I don't have my cards with me just now, and I don't have a Q deck anyway, so I looked at the photo maneuver decks in the files section. The only difference I can see between the two decks is the addition of side-slip left and right cards in the I deck. Neither of the decks seem to have 90 degree turns, but they (and all the other decks) have climbing and diving turns my official decks don't have.

What's going on there then? I think something's amiss with the photo decks.
    Last edited by Bedlam; 10-28-2010 at 01:09.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Those photo decks are someone's home-made efforts, and the turning climb and dive must be a house rule - definitely not in the published game. Given that I'd probably not trust them 100% on other points either.

The Q deck can be found in the Hit and Run booster pack (Aviatik DI and SPAD VII)

Once the hole in the timeline is filled (at least by an offcial card) I'm thinking about running a campaign in which players will start with Endeckers & Morane Saulniers and progress through the war. I believe by then we will have at least some of the types needed for every time period.

Pooh

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Not sure, but I think you can just about cobble something together now for both sides, with at least some service overlap:

GB - Moraine N - DH2 - Nieuport 17 - Camel (Plenty of others that you can add in - SE5a or Snipe, for instance, but the DH2 is the key, serving in France right through from February 1916 to June 1917 for a couple of "lucky" squadrons. Obviously you'd ideally want a Pup in 1917, but DH2 to Nieuport and then Camel is an acceptable timeline. Also we do have a triplane card and deck, so that can be thrown in there to lessen the pain of having DH2s so late....

Ger - E.III - Halberstadt D.III - Albatros D.III - Albatros D.V - Dr.I - D.VII. Obviously the Pfalz fits in similar time to the D.V. Ideally we'd have the Albatros D.I or D.II in there for early 1917, but the Halberstadt was still lingering well after the Albatros D.III was in service, so again we have an acceptable timeline if not exactly an ideal one.

In both of my above examples I doubt we could find a single squadron that went through those transitions, but certainly different squadrons overlapping with each successive type. In both of the above we have cards for everything, although obviously not miniatures until the happy time when Series 5 makes an appearance - obviously a while off yet....
    Last edited by Dom S; 10-28-2010 at 13:53.

Isn't the Q deck faster than the I deck? I thought the I deck speed was 4 1/8" per maneuver while the Q deck was 4 1/2" per maneuver, the same speed as the B deck.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Scratch that plan if so - I'll be getting a Hit And Run booster next time I'm ordering WoW stuff, so will have to double check it.

Sorry-my fault- the Q deck has the same speed of the B deck so it's pretty similar.
    I meant that the composition of the Q one should be OK.The F one has the long-slip turns
    that won't be added

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Aha, no problem - I think I'd stick with the I deck for now then, as it should be on a par with the older aircraft rather than the D.V and Camel for speed. Hopefully it'll get a "proper" deck some time, but the I will probably do best for the time being.

I think we could make a mirror-image of the sharp right and throw a steep symbol on it, if anyone is any good at that sort of thing. Maybe I will try to put something together. Then 1 sharp each way steep, just like the Q deck except with D deck speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jythier View Post
    I think we could make a mirror-image of the sharp right and throw a steep symbol on it, if anyone is any good at that sort of thing. Maybe I will try to put something together. Then 1 sharp each way steep, just like the Q deck except with D deck speed.
    Have you looked at the decks in the files section, mentioned earlier in this thread?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I just looked through the photo decks and still no short left turns for D, J, or I deck speeds that I saw. What am I missing? (I own all the decks besides the R deck because I don't play miniatures... yet...)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

No there isn't one that I know of - you'd need to photoshop a right turn from the Dr.I deck into a left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    No there isn't one that I know of - you'd need to photoshop a right turn from the Dr.I deck into a left.
    I'm pretty sure somebody did a reverse G deck on here because I remember wondering about how I could reverse the G back. I'm sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase. I've just tried to find it in the threads for you , butit is worse than looking for a Hun in the Sun. I will keep trying. It might turn up.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

As I have no current use for the pup I don't feel compelled to do this, lol... but if ever I do feel that I just MUST have another allied plane I will work on it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'll try and get around to it myself some time, but the I deck's not too terrible an option anyway.

Dom.

Here`s a few bits and bobs for the `Pup`
    I don`t have an `I` deck, so i drew up my own...
    The card background is from an aerial photo of paschendale.

Two of the cards are from Max Headrooms collection
    Enjoy !
    Batesyboy
    Attached Images