Ares Games

Thread: Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 09 May '16

Default Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 09 May '16

We had a small turn out at the Family Game Store this evening. Paul, Anthony, Mike, Bill, Jim and I played three scenarios. Here Paul demonstrates proper game attire.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	195948

Our first game was a late-war dogfight. Paul flew a Fokker D VII and I flew an Aviatik D I against Anthony with a DH 4, and Mike and Bill flying a pair of Brisfits. Here I am trying to maneuver around to the rear of Mike's Bristol Fighter.

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	195949

Two smoke counters lead to Paul becoming a flaming meteor across the sky.

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	195950

And accumulated damage takes Paul out of the game while Jim joins the Central Powers in the candy striped Fokker D VII.

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	195951

Bill in his flaming Bristol Fighter and I head for each other.

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	195952

We have now passed each other, but Jim measures to see if he can hit the Brisfit.

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	195953

Bill goes down from accumulated damage.

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	195954

And my Aviatik D I dies from accumulated damage, although there were quite a few zeroes in my stack of damage cards. Also those four gun jam cards certainly helped for awhile.

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	195955

At this point with two of the three Central Powers aircraft down, we called the first game with a victory for the Entente. I'll add the other two games tomorrow.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Anthony wanted to recreate Julius Arigi's 'Ace in one mission' flight of 22 August 1916. The Italians had to fly the length of our 6 foot game mat, plus return for half a length to bomb a target in Austro-Hungarian territory, while Paul (as Julius Arigi) had to shoot down five of the six bombers. Easy peasy.

We started with the Italians lined up in a Vee formation and Paul was allowed to place his Hansa-Brandenburg C.I anywhere he wanted. We actually played with seven Italian aircraft but one is not visible on the right edge of this photograph.

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	195982

Paul wounded the gunner in the green aircraft which effectively took it out of the fight. Meanwhile everyone else is playing a series of straight cards (from a XC deck) to reach the bombing target.

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	195983

Jim's Farman is smoking. We're using a three-part smoke marker.

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	195984

Bill evades to the right while Paul closes in on Jim's smoking Farman to inflict more damage.

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	195985

And Jim goes down from accumulated damage. Some of those cards were at +1 damage.

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	195986

To liven things up, Anthony added an anti-aircraft artillery piece near the far end of the map. Here one of the Farmans flies over the exploding shell.

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	195987

The mission continues.

After Jim was shot down, Anthony let him fly his aircraft while Anthony took over control of two AA guns. (A second one was added near the bombing target). Jim survived two draws from the C damage deck, but on the third draw he took more damage than his aircraft could sustain. Shredded canvas and splintered wood rained down from the skies.

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	196003

Now my Farman draws some bad news from the C damage deck. Another 12 inches of flying and I would have been on the target.

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	196004

Mike's Farman actually gets a shot off at Paul's plane and wounds the pilot.

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	196005

Mike attempts to strafe the AA gun, while Paul maneuvers so his rear gunner can get in the action. Mike's gun is jammed as a result of this action.

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	196006

Mike dies from accumulated damage, but Anthony had fired the anti-aircraft gun. What will happen to Julius Arigi's airplane?

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	196007

And Paul flies into the exploding shell. However, five Italian aircraft were lost during the mission so Paul was the victor. However only two of the five planes were actually shot down.

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	196008

The third game will appear later.

Great action, like your mats and planes. Are they shape ways?

Grumpybear,

all of the planes are Shapeways. I only had three MF 11 Shorthorns, so added three Farman F.40s to round out the flight of six. Arigi's HB C.I is also a Shapeway.

BTW, Paul drew a "0" from the AA hit, so he survived and finished the mission. There were reports that Arigi either did not shoot down all five planes, or that another AH plan or ground fire helped him. In any event, reports of the day credited him with five kills, and I think that Paul should be too, in the spirit of the scenario. And if there had been more room (that is, if the Italians had to fly further to reach the target than the 1 1/2 mats we arbitrarily decided on), he might have been able to get it done without AA help.
    Last edited by tusekine; 05-10-2016 at 15:27.

I just said that Paul flew into the explosion, but I may have implied that did him in. I stand corrected.

With 40 minutes to go before the store closed, the third game of the evening was a very late war dogfight between three Siemens-Schuckert D.III against a Nieuport 28 and a pair of SE5as. We started the game with opposing sides being fairly near one another. Thus, the action could start fairly quickly. After two or three rounds of maneuvers, we see Anthony's Nieuport 28 crashing from accrued damage.

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	196045

Mike, flying an SE5a, draws the dreaded 'Boom' card. And then it was three against one.

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	196046

Two German aircraft converge on Jim's lone SE5a.

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	196047

After some circling, Jim started heading for his lines and we ran out of time. The Central Powers lost no airplanes while the Entente lost two.

Thumbs up

Thanks Robert for those excellent photos & reports!

Kudos to tusekine for an excellent mission & bringing the planes to the table. Looking forward to flying boats & the English Channel

Robert, thanks for the AAR. Very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptWillard View Post
    Looking forward to flying boats & the English Channel
    I have an idea but we'll need three Felixstowe F2As and five Hansa Brandenburg W-29s. I have one of the latter.

Nice battle report, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I have an idea but we'll need three Felixstowe F2As and five Hansa Brandenburg W-29s. I have one of the latter.
    I have one W-29 and one Felixstowe, and jbmacek has one W-29 and some Felixstowes (I think).

Similar Missions

1. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 11 April '16
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-14-2016, 05:34
  2. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 14 March '16
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-16-2016, 12:02
  3. Family Game Store Wings of War/Glory, 14 Dec '15
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7