Ares Games

View Poll Results: How many miniatures do you own?

Voters
690. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (I only use cards)

19 2.75%
  • 1-10 (just getting going)

146 21.16%
  • 11-25 (I think I like these little guys)

175 25.36%
  • 26-40 (I may have a problem)

106 15.36%
  • 41+ (WOW Anonymous for you)

244 35.36%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How many miniatures do you own?

Default Out of control

Hi everybody!

I have only been playing this game for a few months ( I started buying models in February 2012), but I have completely gone overboard! This game is very similar to a game my brothers, cousins and I used to play when growing up. It is much more complicated, but basically the same. When I found this game, I kind of went nuts! We never thought of using minis back then! It is kind of embarassing, but the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem! LOL! Here is my list:

Entende:

4 Spads (3 nexus 1 f toys)
    2 camels (nexus)
    3 snipes (nexus)
    2 SE5a (nexus)
    DH4 (AEF Nexus)
    2 RE8 (nexus)

14 total

Central powers:

7 Albatross III (2 F toys 5 nexus)
    3 Albatross v (nexus)
    3 Roland CIvC (nexus)
    3 Fokker DVII (Shapeways)
    2 Fokker DrI (nexus)

18 total

32 planes total! I am waiting on my pre-order bombers, so add those to the list when they arrive! I will buy all of the new WWI planes when they come out, so that will bring my total to 46 planes! Yikes

Ah, yes - The days of 46 planes. I remember them fondly. All that extra shelf space...

Two more WWII planes today - How did that happen??

/Niclas

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

It's up to...a Gazillion now!

Quote Originally Posted by Qwibqwib View Post
    Hi everybody!
    It is kind of embarassing, but the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem! LOL! 32 planes total! I am waiting on my pre-order bombers, so add those to the list when they arrive! I will buy all of the new WWI planes when they come out, so that will bring my total to 46 planes! Yikes
    Don't worry Corby, you don't really have a problem. Look upon them as a gift from the gods.
    Hardly worth spending money on a shrink when you can spend it on even more planes !
    Kyte.

It's not an addiction it's a hobby so you can buy as many mins as you need, and it makes more sense that other hobby's like breading budgies how many of those do you need?

I can still remember buying all 12 of series 1 thinking these are nice I wonder if they will do anyone and if anyone else does them !!!!
    2 years later with 4 series of Nexus, being bitten by the repaint bug, Skytrex , Reviresco & now shapeways and 200+ little aircraft, I think the answer is yes, although not sure how much SWMBO is going to put up with my "ahem" little collection.
    Must buy her chocolate, Flowers, New Shoes, all of the above to take her mind off the FE8's that have just appeared on the market Hmmmmm pushers almost as good as Hmmmmmmmmmm Rolaaaannndddssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    It's not an addiction it's a hobby so you can buy as many mins as you need, and it makes more sense that other hobby's like breading budgies how many of those do you need?
    Do you butter them first? I think it would be pretty hard to get them down without a bit of butter...

:P

Dave

I have all of series 1 and series 2 WWI, both balloon buster sets, just got 6 AVG P40's, one Hill P40, and the WW2 starter set, and just grabbed a bf109 so my calculation is 38 total, but I am just getting started...lol Though I have been in this since the beginning I have been very good about the slow and steady collecting of this very addictive game!

Dangerous path Dude. Dangerous path...

But sooo much fun!

/Niclas

Green Goblin's Avatar Mess Hall Attendant
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

Currently 13 WoW, 1 Skytrex (unbuilt as yet)

All "official" German and Belgian WWI planes plus about 15 finished Skytrex and Revirescos and +/-20 unfinished.

Oh dear...
    Could I perhaps suggest that we refrain from adding the unbuilt ones to our totals?
    I'm struggling to remain in a state of denial about my problem here, which is difficult enough counting just the finished (and pre-painted) ones...

/Niclas

Will do (in the future)

Add two more for me. The other day a friend found a stash of Series I-III planes at a game store in Sheboygan. He picked up Goering and Udet D.VIIs for me. Wow, Udet! That's the second plane I went looking for, after Brumowski. I didn't think I'd ever be able to get either, not at ebay prices.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Add two more for me. The other day a friend found a stash of Series I-III planes at a game store in Sheboygan. He picked up Goering and Udet D.VIIs for me. Wow, Udet! That's the second plane I went looking for, after Brumowski. I didn't think I'd ever be able to get either, not at ebay prices.
    That is really good news John.
    Makes you wonder how many of these little stores are out there just waiting to be discovered.
    Rob.

Question

Is it possable to "upgrade" our Totals as mine is growing rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    And this is why polls of this type need to have time limits imposed, or be discarded after a certain point.

Yes, I'm very much afraid my total is into 3 figures now. About what Clipper produces in a week. That's the finished ones.

Yes...triple digits for me as well. Some would say too many...I say not enough!

Then rather than a poll, we need to just have a normal thread, that can be updated. Kind of like a bragging board, or a chart for the therapist
    Karl

I am in triple digits now and it is going to increase with the WW1 Bombers, WW1 Series 5 not to mention the extra WW2 mins I want from AIM and WW1 SW, even though I gave away a load of mins to my sons and son-in-law. If I go into a shop with mins I just have to get something even if I do not really need it. Some how it does not feel right in going into a shop with mins and not leaving with out one, its got to the stage that if i am playing a game I will buy a min I need for the game even though I may have it at home: Therefore I have a lot of repaints to do. I do not care what any body say's I have not got a problem or need psychological help..........it's normal for gamers

Default Supporting the FLGS

I know what you mean Doug, when I go to Fastbreak I just have to get one for the road. I have picked up an extra Grumman Martlet and another Vichy D.520 over the past couple of weeks, and it's why I have a full 'Kette' of North African Stukas as part of my rapidly expanding Luftwaffe!

Luftwaffe.jpg

When I first saw the WoW miniatures I resisted purchasing any on the basis "I don't need to get into another game system". But then I relented and thought, I'll just get von Richthofen's triplane and a Camel for scratch games. Then I played a couple of games and thought, 'What a great game, I've already got two and the Udet Albatros and Rickenbacker SPAD do look good, I suppose a few more couldn't hurt, could it?'

Fast forward three years and I have just reached the 200 mark.

I reckon the next poll should be 'How many miniatures do you INTEND to buy?', then we can all just select the 'As many as I can fit in my home/office/shed/car/trailer!'
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-16-2012 at 06:41.

Hello Mike George, I was looking at the Polls when I seen your plane. I'm into rigging, you did a Great job of rigging,Beautiful!,
    Outstanding!! Which kit or Company made this Beauty?!!!

Fabric Flyer

Only down Series 5, the two Capronis, Goering and one of the WWII Ser. 3 planes and its associated starter... and have all but Goering and Series 5 on order. (Ser. 5 is waiting for payday.)

Hi Everyone, I have only just begun about 18 days but bought 4 w/ 'Watch your Back', next day a 5th wow. 1 Mamoli, then 4 Skytrex,3 Reviresco, 2 New WoG, 2 F-toys, 'Famous Aces', 1 expan. deck. Thats 17, almost one a day since I caught this incurable disease. I have had similar problems that actually still have. I call that one the War-gamer Curse. If anyone can relate, its when you decide what game to start buying and painting and end up buying All the pieces to a new game and then your looking at 500- 1000 miniatures to paint. So I think I'm doing ok with only the 17 planes I have bought so far. I wonder if someone will come up with a cure, I hope not, at least not till I have 100-150 planes & 1 Zeppelin!

Fabric Flyer

Hi Lou,

There is a cure. The doctors said if you can collect all the Wow mini's that it will eventually pass. The problem is the disease is mutating. It has the WOG syndrom, the Shapeways syndrome, the Clipper syndrome, the Skytrex syndrome, the Reviresco syndrome etc etc etc. This in itself would'nt be to bad, except that all of those lines are expanding,er..mutating, thus making the disease harder to overcome!

James
    Last edited by James Denberger; 06-04-2012 at 07:18.

The only cure for this horrible affliction is to send all your minis to me. PM me for my address.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    The only cure for this horrible affliction is to send all your minis to me. PM me for my address.
    Are you then what they used to call a "sin eater" - Or is it perhaps "wing eater"?

/Niclas

Nah, I keep it simple for my addictions: only the official minis (unless they're obviously inaccurate like the Pfalz D.IIIa, then I'll see about a "corrected" model), my A&A War at Sea, Transformers Bot Shots, Hasegawa Egg Planes and Hexbug Nanos. LOL

And with no more Bot Shots for another two months, no new Nanos until Second Half of the year, half the Egg Planes acquired and waiting to build, and no new War at Sea releases expected for quite a while... Andrea, MUST... HAVE.... PLASTICRACK... LOL

Nah, I keep it simple for my addictions: only the official minis (unless they're obviously inaccurate like the Pfalz D.IIIa, then I'll see about a "corrected" model), my A&A War at Sea, Transformers Bot Shots, Hasegawa Egg Planes and Hexbug Nanos. LOL

And with no more Bot Shots for another two months, no new Nanos until Second Half of the year, half the Egg Planes acquired and waiting to build, and no new War at Sea releases expected for quite a while... Andrea, MUST... HAVE.... PLASTICRACK... LOL

I have 9 now, 2 on the way from the U.S (thanks Chris) and 2 shapeways models planned for the future.
    Hoping to get a small representation of AFC 1 or 2 Squadron together.

Kadett

I own each and every WWI plains from ares and nexus and a few I picked up on ebay ( F-toys/shapeways). I got to be crazy.....

[QUOTE= I got to be crazy.....[/QUOTE]

Yes we are.

Just voted. Sometimes it takes a poll like this to make you sit back and see just how crazy you are. In my case - reeeeeeally crazy. A quick count turns up an even 100 WW I models, and 41 WW II. But, and it's a really big but, I get far more enjoyment out of them than I ever have with any of my other hobbies, so in the grand scale of things, maybe it's not so bad after all.

Bruce

Had a cull of non Ares planes. At last count I had 64 WW1 Ares models, 2 x Balloons, 5 x Bombers, this does not include the nine given to family members, 3 damaged beyond repair whilst attempting conversion and 7 on pre-order. 90%are British and German. I also have 15 Shapeways servicable min and another 15 I am not sure what I am going to do with (either make or sell). Also 3 Skytrex in service. So that is a total of 82 ready for gameing.
    Last edited by Doug; 10-08-2012 at 19:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Had a cull of non Ares planes. At last count I had 64 WW1 Ares models, 2 x Balloons, 5 x Bombers, this does not include the nine given to family members, 3 damaged beyond repair whilst attempting conversion and 7 on pre-order. 90%are British and German. I also have 15 Shapeways servicable min and another 15 I am not sure what I am going to do with (either make or sell). Also 3 Skytrex in service. So that is a total of 82 ready for gameing.
    Will need to stock take my collection again now Alastair. It is some time since we answered the poll. I think it may be time to move the goalposts.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Will need to stock take my collection again now Alastair. It is some time since we answered the poll. I think it may be time to move the goalposts.
    Rob.
    I have to agree Rob, 41+ as the top band just doesn't cut it. The WGS bombers will make 247 miniatures for me, and with the latest AIM order I'll crack 250 (3 x SM.79, 2 x G.50, 2 x MC.200).

Better get back to painting, there has been no progress on that front since June

My adopted tactic: I just don't count them anymore.
    That way, I can be sincerely vague should the wife ask.

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    My adopted tactic: I just don't count them anymore.
    That way, I can be sincerely vague should the wife ask.

/Niclas
    Good call Niclas.
    Rob.

I'm over a 100 planes now, don't think my wife knows how many little planes I have got squirrelled away.

You make me thinking of a very hairy mission: counting my planes again...

I don't like to think on it...

Just before AIM announced the new a/c, I bought a few.

Let's see.... a Curtis H-75 for the Finns, another for the Chinese, one for the French of course, one for the Dutch East Indies... it's not that I'm a Fanatic, I won't be painting up a USAAC P-36 just for Pearl Harbor, or a Mohawk-IV for Burma, and certain won't be scratch-building a fixed undercart for the Thai ones. Really I won't. Even though I have some spare wheels that are just the right size...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I don't like to think on it...

Just before AIM announced the new a/c, I bought a few.

I won't be painting up a USAAC P-36 just for Pearl Harbor, or a Mohawk-IV for Burma, and certain won't be scratch-building a fixed undercart for the Thai ones. Really I won't. Even though I have some spare wheels that are just the right size...
    I am not going to put any money on this statement Zoe.
    In fact as far as I am concerned all Bettys are off again.
    Rob.

Had a stock take of my WW2 mins got quite a shock. A grand total of 112 mins not including 14 I have sold as surplus to requirmentsr. Most are ARES models (about 84) with some AIM and Air 200 thrown in. Then there is the forth coming WW2 Series 4 of which I plan to buy 10, and 6 ARES Bombers on pre-order and there is about another 7 bombers from AIM. I know this is a small total compared to other collectors, but when I add in my WW1 planes that's a total of 208 models. Well the children and grandchild may not get any cash inheritance, but they are not going to be short of mins

Rob.
    I remember back in late 2008 I was in my FLGS and said, "This games looks OK, I'll just get the Famous Aces boxed set, von Richthofen's Fokker and a Camel."

I have pretty much stopped buying any other system and all my gaming budget gets funnelled to Ares, AIM, Skytrex, Magister Militum and Helmet.

Rob.
    Probability Zero?

I believe it is time to retire this thread and start two new ones; one for WWI and one for WWII. When I responded to this poll, I only had 18 minis. Now I have far more...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    I reckon the next poll should be 'How many miniatures do you INTEND to buy?', then we can all just select the 'As many as I can fit in my home/office/shed/car/trailer!'
    Actually, all you need is a couple of arbitrary numbers for the first couple of choices, i.e. 10, 29, 44, 93, or YES.

And of course, none of us need therapy, this IS therapy

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 6 and 7 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 454
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 04:45
  2. Series 2 miniatures
    By John B in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 03:31
  3. Quality of Miniatures