Ares Games

View Poll Results: How many miniatures do you own?

Voters
690. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (I only use cards)

19 2.75%
  • 1-10 (just getting going)

146 21.16%
  • 11-25 (I think I like these little guys)

175 25.36%
  • 26-40 (I may have a problem)

106 15.36%
  • 41+ (WOW Anonymous for you)

244 35.36%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: How many miniatures do you own?

Hello All,
    Back from Easter Break. After a month of collecting. I have the 2 Deluxe Sets (8 planes),2 Balloon Busters(brown and yellow with 2 planes, all 44 of the WWI planes (singles, did not need to buy the four planes from the 1st deluxe set),plus 3 extra Spads,3 extra Pflaz,3 extra D Va's all for repaints, and all 6 F-Toys biplanes. Also I have 4 WWII planes. I guess that would give me 73 planes and 2 balloons. Okay, I am checking myself in, because they think I am a bit flighty,but thing's are still up in the air! Until then I guess I will have to wing it!
    Keith

A month? What took you so long?

I am definitely addicted even if my addiction seems to only count for a couple of altitude pegs compared to others here! I voted 1-10 a while back when I had 2. Having scoured various online stores both in NZ and a couple overseas here is my current list of minis I either have or have paid for and have had confirmed as in stock. They are all official minis.

Currently in possession of (in order of acquisition)
    Spad XIII (Baracca)
    Albatros D.Va (Udet)
    RAF Se5a (Dallas)
    RAF R.E. 8 (Belgian)
    Breguet Br.14 B2 (Browning & Duke)
    Nieuport 23 (Kibanov)
    Albatros D.III (Hautzmayer)
    Pfalz D.IIIa (Hohn)
    Rumpler C.IV
    Spad XIII (Fonck)
    Albatros D. Va (Weber)
    Sopwith Camel (Ellwood)

Plus Watch Your Back, Burning Drachens and Flight of the Giants and both mats

Currently being shipped (in order of expected arrival)
    Sopwith Camel (Olieslagers)
    UFAG C.I. (Flick 23/d)
    Albatros D. Va (Jentsch)
    RAF Se5a (Boudwin)
    Pfalz D.IIIa (Holtzem)
    Fokker D.VII (Goering)
    Fokker D.VII (Schafer)
    Sopwith Snipe (Baker)
    Sopwith Snipe (Barker)
    Nieuport 17 (Lufbery/Thenault) Incidentally why are there two names?
    Albatros D.III (Voss)

Plus hopefully the Revised Deluxe set if my source comes through...

So to make up for my lowish quantity of mini ownership I shall demonstrate the true nature of my addiction via another of my addictions (doing nutty things in MS Excel)... here is a chart of my WoW acquisitions so far showing quantity of minis plus related purchases:

(Chart as of the 26/04/2011)

Do you realise that you are speculating in Nexus Future Planes. This is not an addiction at all. I can't see why everyone is so worried about the little planes. It's not as if they are dangerous to your health(discounting Ken's ). If you weren't excessing about these it would be something else.That is just the way we are! I am proud to class myself as a Compulsive Obsessive Collector. CoC. for short.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarley View Post
    I am definitely addicted even if my addiction seems to only count for a couple of altitude pegs compared to others here! I voted 1-10 a while back when I had 2. Having scoured various online stores both in NZ and a couple overseas here is my current list of minis I either have or have paid for and have had confirmed as in stock. They are all official minis.

Currently in possession of (in order of acquisition)
    Spad XIII (Baracca)
    Albatros D.Va (Udet)
    RAF Se5a (Dallas)
    RAF R.E. 8 (Belgian)
    Breguet Br.14 B2 (Browning & Duke)
    Nieuport 23 (Kibanov)
    Albatros D.III (Hautzmayer)
    Pfalz D.IIIa (Hohn)
    Rumpler C.IV
    Spad XIII (Fonck)
    Albatros D. Va (Weber)
    Sopwith Camel (Ellwood)

Plus Watch Your Back, Burning Drachens and Flight of the Giants and both mats

Currently being shipped (in order of expected arrival)
    Sopwith Camel (Olieslagers)
    UFAG C.I. (Flick 23/d)
    Albatros D. Va (Jentsch)
    RAF Se5a (Boudwin)
    Pfalz D.IIIa (Holtzem)
    Fokker D.VII (Goering)
    Fokker D.VII (Schafer)
    Sopwith Snipe (Baker)
    Sopwith Snipe (Barker)
    Nieuport 17 (Lufbery/Thenault) Incidentally why are there two names?
    Albatros D.III (Voss)

Plus hopefully the Revised Deluxe set if my source comes through...

So to make up for my lowish quantity of mini ownership I shall demonstrate the true nature of my addiction via another of my addictions (doing nutty things in MS Excel)... here is a chart of my WoW acquisitions so far showing quantity of minis plus related purchases:

(Chart as of the 26/04/2011)
    Great job and I don't mean to nit-pick but I think you forgot the downloaded files on your chart.

Tom

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Spad Mo View Post
    Hello All,
    Back from Easter Break. After a month of collecting. I have the 2 Deluxe Sets (8 planes),2 Balloon Busters(brown and yellow with 2 planes, all 44 of the WWI planes (singles, did not need to buy the four planes from the 1st deluxe set),plus 3 extra Spads,3 extra Pflaz,3 extra D Va's all for repaints, and all 6 F-Toys biplanes. Also I have 4 WWII planes. I guess that would give me 73 planes and 2 balloons. Okay, I am checking myself in, because they think I am a bit flighty,but thing's are still up in the air! Until then I guess I will have to wing it!
    Keith
    HAHA! Great job Keith, good show!

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    A month? What took you so long?
    Hello Larry,
    My purchasing department would not work overtime HA!HA!HA!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    HAHA! Great job Keith, good show!
    Thanks Hunter,
    Once I get my wargame table cleaned off, I will try to get some pictures posted. It is 12' x 4', but I think I am going to convert over to a 9'x5'. I have to secure the area, because we have 2 curious cats that are going to become airborne if I find my balloon buster sets on the floor again! I am going to section off the basement and make a man cave for my son and I. Although I must say, my wife is interested in playing, she picked out the pinkish and black Roland. My son laughed at the idea of her playing. I looked at him and said "Don't laugh fuzzball. When we use to play Ace of Aces(books), she flamed my butt many a time". Now I got him really thinking twice about flying the skies with mom on the loose. I would just love to see her bring him down the first time those 2 go at it.
    Keith

With the amount of WoW addicts out there, someone should start a new poll and include,
    100 (help me, I'm sick),
    125 (cause for divorce)
    150 (lost it, beyond help).

Quote Originally Posted by Spad Mo View Post
    Hello All,
    Keith
    And I thought I had a problem.
    Rob.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Hey Keith (Spadmo), how are those new planes working out for you? Any reports of combat or AAR's?

Ed, That was a funny post because it's true! Over 100 mini's and I'm in the 'red zone' with my real CO, the Missus.

Now I am having a problem. Reading the replies in this thread some peole have mentioned that they have the 2 deluxe sets and all 3 different balloons. I can only find 1 deluxe set and 2 balloons. Where can I find the other deluxe set and balloon? If I don't get an answer I will lose whatever sanity I have left and will most likely have to go to re-hab.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&pretzels View Post
    Now I am having a problem. Reading the replies in this thread some peole have mentioned that they have the 2 deluxe sets and all 3 different balloons. I can only find 1 deluxe set and 2 balloons. Where can I find the other deluxe set and balloon? If I don't get an answer I will lose whatever sanity I have left and will most likely have to go to re-hab.
    Dont panic Michael. The first Deluxe set was released some years ago, and has been superceeded by the new Deluxe set, albeit with different colour schemes for the planes. It can be picked up in the odd shop with a poor turnover, but you have to look very hard indeed. There are only two official balloons, but several other manufacturers do self assembly kits, so it may be those mentioned or that a member has more than two of the official ones.
    Rob.

There have been two Deluxe versions of the WW1 gane.
    The original set had
    Von Richthofen DR1 this is the classic all red version
    Barker Camel
    Baracca Spad XIII
    Udet DVA

These were also released as individual minis

The second Deluxe set has
    Von Richthofen DR1 different colour scheme
    Brown Camel
    Luke Spad XIII
    Baumer DVA

These have not been released seperately.
    As for Balloons I thought there was only two sets released a Brown one & a Yellow one

Thank you. Now I can regain the rest of my sanity. The only draw back to this game is the inability to obtain all of the released minis. I have the obsessive - compulsive collecting trait and am somewaht distraught that I wasn't aware of this game when it first came out as a miniature. However, if someone could lead me to a Bishop Se5a that would significantly decrease my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    And I thought I had a problem.
    Rob.
    You know the saying Rob. "No matter how bad you think you got it,somebody else is worse off".
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Hey Keith (Spadmo), how are those new planes working out for you? Any reports of combat or AAR's?
    Hello Terry,
    We will be gaming Sunday afternoon. I will let you know how it goes.
    Keith

Ed, That was a funny post because it's true! Over 100 mini's and I'm in the 'red zone' with my real CO, the Missus.

Thank you. Now I can regain the rest of my sanity. The only draw back to this game is the inability to obtain all of the released minis. I have the obsessive - compulsive collecting trait and am somewaht distraught that I wasn't aware of this game when it first came out as a miniature. However, if someone could lead me to a Bishop Se5a that would significantly decrease my anxiety.
    How far are you prepared to go for your Bishop?
    http://www.orcsnest.com/productsbysy...ngs%20of%20War

Rob.

Thanks, Rob. Thats the only Series IV miniature that I haven't been able to find yet. If you ever find your way to Illinois, stop in and have a drink or two from my own personal stock.

Mike

Thanks, Rob. Thats the only Series IV miniature that I haven't been able to find yet. If you ever find your way to Illinois, stop in and have a drink or two from my own personal stock.

Mike
    I think I have Attilio's problem about scouring the web for things. With him it is clips, with me well priced models. No Udet yet though, although a few weeks ago I did find one, only for it to go missing in the post. Oh well something to look forward to in the future.
    Rob.

yesssssss my preciousssssssssssss

Latest updates...
    WW1 Series 1: Complete
    Series 2: 9/12 (missing all D.VII's)
    Series 3: missing Brumowski
    Series 4: complete
    RDS: in hand, with a second on backorder (assuming Borders ever gets it in again!)
    Balloon Busters: 2/2 sets
    subtotal 52/56

WW2 Series 1: complete
    Series 2: 10/12 (down two Stukas)
    Deluxe Set: having procurement difficulties
    subtotal 22/28

Total 74/84
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-24-2011 at 16:49. Reason: update--no point in unneeded clutter
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

An exciting box of goodies arrived at my door on Friday which I finally got time to play with today and since pictures (albeit fuzzy cellphone ones) speak louder than words:

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

well I got the DOW box set Supermarine Spitfire Mk.II - Falkowski (RAF), Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 - Balthasar (Luftwaffe),
    Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 - Molders (Luftwaffe),Mitsubishi A6M2 Reisen - Sakai (IJNAS), Ordered at the same time as Molders and Sakai but still not arrived as yet Supermarine Spitfire Mk.II - Vybral (RAF), and Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat - Galer (US Marine Corps)

trying to work out what to get next i want to get to a flight of each for game play but not sure how many of each ....

also trying to buy with 3 demanding kids as well is a pain hehe .... hmmmmm wonder if i can put the eldest P.I.T.A. up for auction and plow what I get from him into minis ....

Ian. Where did you find the Rickenbacker?!

Very sweet pics BTW. Congrats on the upgrades to your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Ian. Where did you find the Rickenbacker?!
    I asked my favourite online LGS to check what the NZ supplier had in stock and seeing they had all of the above I grabbed them I'll clean them out of two-seaters when the bank balance recovers lol (the DH4 and the Roland were supposed to be a Nieuport 17 and a Albatros D.III but they had gone between the LGS getting the list and me ordering!)

Got #31, 32 and 33 this week. Breguet 14, Rumpler C.IV & Rickenbacker's Spad. Now I'm trying to get Weber's Albatros and then Series 5 should show up... or the heavy bombers... or both even??

Naaaah.. its still Nexus

Just thought I would reply.

I have every WWI and WW II mini. Also a couple of extra when I didn't remember which one I needed to complete the set. So I guess that means I have 74 total.

Aqui no Brasil é muito difícil encontrar miniaturas e quando acha são muito caras!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
    Aqui no Brasil é muito difícil encontrar miniaturas e quando acha são muito caras!!!
    That is a great pity Alexandre. Are they very expensive to import by mail -order? Do any of your friends go abroad for holidays or business?
    Rob.

57 and still increasing...
    Why did you post that thread, dear friend. I was happy not knowing...

Oi pessoal, acho o jogo divertido mas aqui no Brasil é difícil encontrar jogadores pois além de serem caros, são muito difíceis de se encontrar para comprar e não há interesse de nenhuma empresa em trazê-los para o país nem importado então o público geral acaba não conhecendo quase nehum deles. Acho que apenas 10% dos jogos que vocês jogam são conhecidos por aqui. Uma pena pois vários jogos como Wings of War, Axis & Allies e muitos outros fariam sucesso no Brasil. Para ter uma idéia dos preços uma mini de WWI por aqui custa de 3 à 4 vezes mais do que aí.

Thanks to Mr Kyte's peer pressure, I have a copy of the Revised Deluxe Edition on it's way via airmail from the UK; this brings my count up to 32

Lugz

That price is outrageous Alexandre. I'm sure you could get them imported cheaper than that from Europe.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
    Oi pessoal, acho o jogo divertido mas aqui no Brasil é difícil encontrar jogadores pois além de serem caros, são muito difíceis de se encontrar para comprar e não há interesse de nenhuma empresa em trazê-los para o país nem importado então o público geral acaba não conhecendo quase nehum deles. Acho que apenas 10% dos jogos que vocês jogam são conhecidos por aqui. Uma pena pois vários jogos como Wings of War, Axis & Allies e muitos outros fariam sucesso no Brasil. Para ter uma idéia dos preços uma mini de WWI por aqui custa de 3 à 4 vezes mais do que aí.
    A translation hope Alexandre does not mind

Hi guys, I think the game fun but here in Brazil it is difficult to find players as well as being expensive, miniatures are very difficult to find to buy and no interest in any company to bring them into the country or import them. I think only 10% of the games you play are known here. A pity because several games like Wings of War, Axis & Allies and many others would hit in Brazil. To get an idea of prices a mini WWI here costs 3 to 4 times more

Alexandre i agree with officer kyte it may be worth you looking in the US or UK
    Rommel

Lets see if it helps you understand me, my English is weak.
    I knew the game this year but only now able to buy (watch your back with the top fighter and dogfighter) for a price in mind as well (hopefully). As for the minis is something else, much more difficult and more expensive. In the coming months I intend to import some minis. Only in this way.

Alexandre! If your story is true, it would be a good idea to make your own business there in Brasil. You've got everything you need: A huge market, a need for a game and no competitors. Think like that. Try to find someone who can invest some money in importing WoW or other game systems, negotiate good prices and you become a rich man. Don't think you can't buy minis on your own. Think how many minis you can sell to others, who need them badly.
    And one thing more. Prices in other countries: You can buy a single (even rare) WoW mini in my country for about 12 (sometimes yes!) to 17 USD each. Postage? I'm preparing 5 minis to send to New Zealand to Madboyo. It's hell of a distance! The postage is 61 PLN, that means 21 USD.
    Last edited by Nightbomber; 06-26-2011 at 01:15.

^^THIS. A friend opened up an online-store selling A&A Minis so he could build his own collection at half-price. Then he diversified into WoW, and now I fear the whole NG/FFG/Alliance kerfuffle is gonna give him the shaft... but the point stands. Become the supplier and you can not only cut your buddies a price break, you get your stuff much cheaper too.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Most recent count: 34 aircraft... I may have a problem...

The truth is I don't know any more. Last month I got 10, DoW deulux set and 2 orange Vals, plus WoW 2nd edition box set, and non WoW minatures I got 11 models.

I'm even surprised at the attention you are giving me, thank you. Nightbomber The idea is good but is complicated for me because I do not know anyone willing to do this and when I buy something from the outside is a friend who buys for me because I do not have international credit card then it would be fun for my own. As for getting rich, the idea is very good as well but my area is not business. I am a policeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Alexandre! If your story is true, it would be a good idea to make your own business there in Brasil. You've got everything you need: A huge market, a need for a game and no competitors. Think like that. Try to find someone who can invest some money in importing WoW or other game systems, negotiate good prices and you become a rich man. Don't think you can't buy minis on your own. Think how many minis you can sell to others, who need them badly.
    And one thing more. Prices in other countries: You can buy a single (even rare) WoW mini in my country for about 12 (sometimes yes!) to 17 USD each. Postage? I'm preparing 5 minis to send to New Zealand to Madboyo. It's hell of a distance! The postage is 61 PLN, that means 21 USD.
    NB, does that include Brumowski and the D.VII's on that price-range? Too bad international payments are so dicey with debit-card and no Paypal...

Alexandre, the other trick is to start small--find an e-tailer who's willing to help out with a "Group Buy" or a distributor with a small minimum purchase who's OK with irregular orders, and then once you have a willing supplier do something like put together a sign-up sheet on a 24-plane case where you won't turn in the order until say 18 planes are signed for with 50% deposits paid.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-26-2011 at 05:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    NB, does that include Brumowski and the D.VII's on that price-range? Too bad international payments are so dicey with debit-card and no Paypal...
    I'm curious about this as well, considering I would be VERY keen on finding Udet's Fokker DVII and Ellwood's Sopwith Camel.

Keegan, I think my LGS (Game Matrix in Lakewood, WA) had Ellwood last time I was in. You might check out UnclesGames.com and call their Redmond, WA store. I'd offer to check GM, but you'd be stuck with MSRP plus 10% (yes, our sales taxes are that bad!) plus around $3 shipping USPS first-class with delivery-confirmation if you had me act as purchasing-agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Keegan, I think my LGS had Ellwood last time I was in. You might check out UnclesGames.com and call their Redmond, WA store. I'd offer to check my LGS, but you'd be stuck with MSRP plus 10% (yes, our sales taxes are that bad!) plus around $3 shipping USPS first-class with delivery-confirmation if you had me act as purchasing-agent.
    Thanks for the heads-up Diamondback! I'll look up their site and see what I can find

They don't do e-commerce, I'm just referring you there since I don't remember their phone number--Redmond has most of their WoW stock.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

I have 16 planes so far. Eight for each side and planed on just one of each plane but is getting hard to stay with that! Okie

COLBATMAN's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies

Name
    c
    Sorties Flown

Angry How many miniatures do you own?

Confession time! Late last year Gully Raker resurrected my interest in WoW. At the time I had the three box sets and 8 models stored away unused for 18 months! I now have to confess to 42, the mats and a balloon! I bought some at our National Games Convention in January, but they keep coming from unusual sources. A WoW playing friend in Canberra has sold me 34 A/Cs all surplus to his collection!!(including 7 spare Camels). Six of this collection were without card sets! Where did they go!
    Add to that all the F-Toys models, and Udet's Fokker DVII from N/Knight, scary!
    More scary is another contact in Canberra also has a 'stash' he wants to get rid of.
    No wonder there is a shortage around the globe!!

COLBATMAN

34 since yesterday! I found Weber's machine at a local game-store. They have also Voss' D.III and Ellwood's Camel in stock. So perhaps I will change my mind and go for the hearted-planes now too Especially the Albatros looked quite cool.

Ellehammer

I counted, I voted, I went straight to rehab!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 6 and 7 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 454
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 04:45
  2. Series 2 miniatures
    By John B in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 03:31
  3. Quality of Miniatures
    By BrunoStachel in forum Hobby Room