Ares Games

View Poll Results: How many miniatures do you own?

Voters
690. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (I only use cards)

19 2.75%
  • 1-10 (just getting going)

146 21.16%
  • 11-25 (I think I like these little guys)

175 25.36%
  • 26-40 (I may have a problem)

106 15.36%
  • 41+ (WOW Anonymous for you)

244 35.36%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: How many miniatures do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    did you mean "wargaming rehab teaching tool"?
    Not at all, I mean "wargaming as simulation" since I can't very well give each student their own REAL tank platoon, destroyer division or fighter squadron to command... and even at college age, Karen tends to get nasty if she thinks you've placed her precious spawn in danger of so much as a chipped nail or harsh language, never mind the Five Year Plan she's put together planning the poor kid's life out to the Nth detail for them from before they were even conceived...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Not at all, I mean "wargaming as simulation" since I can't very well give each student their own REAL tank platoon, destroyer division or fighter squadron to command... and even at college age, Karen tends to get nasty if she thinks you've placed her precious spawn in danger of so much as a chipped nail or harsh language, never mind the Five Year Plan she's put together planning the poor kid's life out to the Nth detail for them from before they were even conceived...

twere only a joke old boy.

After more than a few of these comments I appreciate the varied views of the crowd...especially liked the "custodian comment".
    Think a recount via spreadsheet is cheating the process...hands on should be the ultimate approach to a new count...
    though I've given serious consideration to the Columbian Cartel Method...just weigh the semi truck containers.

I think I've just gone up a category

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    After more than a few of these comments I appreciate the varied views of the crowd...especially liked the "custodian comment".
    Think a recount via spreadsheet is cheating the process...hands on should be the ultimate approach to a new count...
    though I've given serious consideration to the Columbian Cartel Method...just weigh the semi truck containers.
    I have two methods, "Batch" and "Full"--Batch is logging them in as they arrive and I process them in, Full is opening the boxes and counting tray by tray.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Now i have 26 :
    11 WW1 & 15 WW2

20200526.jpg

Way to go Bruno

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

I have 37 WoW/WoG planes, and 5 Tri-pods.
    As for other miniatures, I have thousands!

42 planes

gone from "just getting going" to WOW Anonymous for you" in 368 days. There may be a few more in the future

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    42 planes

gone from "just getting going" to WOW Anonymous for you" in 368 days. There may be a few more in the future
    Soon you can post on the next level:
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...oted-2-JUN-14)

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

the last plane on my list, a hannover cl.iii lufskraftkreite, arrived today. A milestone, seeing as it's about 15 planes longer than my original list there's possibly more that are "like" but not "essential" but I can now play from Sept '16 onwards

Excellent. Well keep a seat at WoG Anonymous open for you
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

the last plane on my list, a hannover cl.iii lufskraftkreite, arrived today. A milestone, seeing as it's about 15 planes longer than my original list there's possibly more that are "like" but not "essential" but I can now play from Sept '16 onwards
    That's sort of how my collecting is going...

1) Well THESE are the only ones that really interest me.
    2) There are a few more that I really should get if the price is right.
    3) Need a couple for certain scenarios and matchups.
    4) Hmm... I really would like some particular planes that ARES didn't produce... wonder if I can commission someone to repaint them for me?
    5) Wouldn't 6 planes from that Jasta look good on the board?
    6) You know, I think I might try some repainting myself.
    7) I wonder if those Shapeways are really that hard to prep...

Before you know it, I'm averaging 10 planes a month. In another 427 years, I'll have as many as Tim does now...

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    That's sort of how my collecting is going...

1) Well THESE are the only ones that really interest me.
    2) There are a few more that I really should get if the price is right.
    3) Need a couple for certain scenarios and matchups.
    4) Hmm... I really would like some particular planes that ARES didn't produce... wonder if I can commission someone to repaint them for me?
    5) Wouldn't 6 planes from that Jasta look good on the board?
    6) You know, I think I might try some repainting myself.
    7) I wonder if those Shapeways are really that hard to prep...

Before you know it, I'm averaging 10 planes a month. In another 427 years, I'll have as many as Tim does now...
    My collecting in a nutshell.
    Karl

see you soon Karl. Jeff - you must be clairevoyant

Quote Originally Posted by Von Scharf View Post
    Jeff........................

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

So how many years would 10 planes a month be? Inquiring minds want to know
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Jeff........................
    I know, I know... I'm being silly... It's more like 572 years!
    Last edited by Von Scharf; 10-12-2020 at 19:22.

well that didn't last long. 3 days after completing my list, I've been looking at planes (just looking!) and gone "want, want, must have" and so it goes on

well that didn't last long. 3 days after completing my list, I've been looking at planes (just looking!) and gone "want, want, must have" and so it goes on

It’s only a minor score in the scheme of things, but thanks to McCudden’s SE5a I have just hit the 100 plane mark (and no the other 99 aren’t all Bristols). Never really had the skill, or confidence to go down the shape ways or repaint route so mine are all ‘originals’ (Nexus or Ares). Just need to Covid to sod off so I can use them in anger once again.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    So let's see what happened in year 1448: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1448
    There’s an entry missing from Wikipedia... Tim Hague places a bulk order of Da Vinci’s prototype flying machines, although 4 years before the maestro is born, mr. Hague was quoted as saying he wanted to beat the rush...

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    ........ mr. Hague was quoted as saying he wanted to beat the rush...
    ....beat the smarty-pants, more like!

....beat the smarty-pants, more like!
    Lol, I was just looking to see if I could up gun one....

Well, I'm off to go and get on with painting some more planes now; I've had a quick count up, and it seems I don't have enough...........

Well, I'm off to go and get on with painting some more planes now; I've had a quick count up, and it seems I don't have enough...........
    A quick count up... that to the nearest hundred?

How many planes do you have? NOT ENOUGH!

Now THAT is a proper answer!

We joke about your plane count (oh, and SAILS), but your dedication and support to this community is legendary. Salute!

well if YOU dont have enough, the rest of us are done for for sure!!!! thats it boys! no hope for a cure!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    There’s an entry missing from Wikipedia... Tim Hague places a bulk order of Da Vinci’s prototype flying machines, although 4 years before the maestro is born, mr. Hague was quoted as saying he wanted to beat the rush...

ample preparation is the mark of a good soldier!!!

I was doing so well. Then I saw the Alfred Rahn Dr.I. Also means another Sopwith Camel to even up the forces. And so it continues

Nothing to worry about Iain, it's just one more miniature, right? Or two. Or...

Sam it's taken a while to realise that

and an Albatros DVa Jentsch has just landed

I have just completed my current (?) list, please note I didn't say final. I still remember those early heady days saying "10 planes should be enough" Well 12 of my planes are duplicates with different identification letters or numbers and the current grand total stands at 52 plus two mats now. Time for a breather until the next wave

I have just completed my current (?) list, please note I didn't say final. I still remember those early heady days saying "10 planes should be enough" Well 12 of my planes are duplicates with different identification letters or numbers and the current grand total stands at 52 plus two mats now. Time for a breather until the next wave
    I remember thinking something similar, thought I did say about a dozen should be enough. Plastic crack is a hard addiction to break. Star Wars: X-Wing; Star Wars: Armada; Wings of Glory: WWI; Ares BattleStar Galactica...

A few more purchases made and we'll over my planned rejoining of the community.

"The best thing about Wings is you only need a few planes to play"
    A year after getting back into the game I have 113 WGF aircraft. Something has definitely gone awry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post
    A year after getting back into the game I have 113 WGF aircraft. Something has definitely gone awry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerkraut View Post

and so it continues. Just when you thought it was safe, I've just seen the Schafer D.VII and the younger Richtofen Dr.I. Of course it means another Spad XIII and another Camel ( just to keep the sides even - well that's my story) Now we have to wait to see how long it takes before I weaken

I am only 14 planes in to my new addiction... i would be in deeper, but Christmas has placed a severe pinch on my wallet... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Urai View Post
    I am only 14 planes in to my new addiction... i would be in deeper, but Christmas has placed a severe pinch on my wallet... for now.
    That will not last too long John. You have joined the ranks of the hopelessly doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Rolf View Post
    That will not last too long John. You have joined the ranks of the hopelessly doomed
    Doomed? No. Acquiring new planes is therapy...and just think of how many more planes we'd all have if we cut back on the pints at the pub?

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Doomed? No. Acquiring new planes is therapy...and just think of how many more planes we'd all have if we cut back on the pints at the pub?
    We still have the virtual ones here

Karl

Evidence is now mounting regarding the ever growing addiction to plastic crack.

Greetings

I looked at my spreadsheet over the weekend and I have some 82 ready for action and another 23 in progress - a few unmade models, some unpainted shapeways and some WoG to be repainted as other pilots. I’ve been picking up semi-cheap planes in the last couple of months e.g. RE-8, SE-5a, N.17, Camel, Br.14 while I can.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by Kustenjaeger
    I’ve been picking up semi-cheap planes in the last couple of months e.g. RE-8, SE-5a, N.17, Camel, Br.14 while I can.
    Best way to go about getting your hands on the official planes, well done!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

New to WoW/WoG, my daughter and son-in-law game me the Battle of Britain starter kit for Christmas. So for purposes of the poll, I own four planes, two Emil's and two Spitfire Mk I's. But I have about 20 something craft on order.

New to WoW/WoG, but I've been a wargamer for over 4 decades, so no spring chicken.

Regards,
    Mike

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    New to WoW/WoG, my daughter and son-in-law game me the Battle of Britain starter kit for Christmas. So for purposes of the poll, I own four planes, two Emil's and two Spitfire Mk I's. But I have about 20 something craft on order.

New to WoW/WoG, but I've been a wargamer for over 4 decades, so no spring chicken.

Regards,
    Mike
    "Hello, my name is John. I am a wargamaholic"

Welcome to the Aerodrome Mike!

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Series 6 and 7 Miniatures
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 454
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 04:45
  2. Series 2 miniatures
    By John B in forum WGS: General Discussions