Ares Games

Thread: May 15, 1918

Default May 15, 1918

The Dastardly Allies jumped us again, Rot Skullen lead us to the towns, He ordered me to take half of the fighters and check the eastern town, while he took the other half to check the northern town looking for the Ally tanks, with the bombers holding back until we figured out where they are.

That VMF 1 came out from behind the clouds, I recognized that bastage Red Henderson grinning as he stitched the side of my aircraft, but I was able to mow through, with no serious damage, and pressed on. Roland Oland Noland and Ivana Mandicplz broke and dealt with VMF 1 as those Sopwith Triplanes tried to keep up with me, was like a Dachshund trying to chase a Sheppard in heat. My captured Spad raced away.

Unfortunately, a pair of Spads came in from the east, but low, so I kept climbing away from them as I searched the town. They decided to go after Roland and Ivana. Unfortunately, Vergessenheit in his D7, burned out from underneath of him, but it looks like he was able to glide it in to safety.

I could see puffs from the anti aircraft shells exploding over the other town, and seeing no tanks or troops below in the town I was over, I turned my plane to rejoin the squadron. I saw the another flight of allies come out of the clouds in behind the bombers, and start to inflict damage, most of the other German had been driven off or shot down. I could see Roland’s aircraft still there, but he was smoking and heading to German lines I shoved the throttles to the stops and raced ahead, I saw one of the Rolands detonated, the damn allied pilot must have hit the bomb. Then the giants dropped their payload, I couldn’t see from my point what they hit, but the bombs fell into the town.

Once again, VMF 1, Red’s Bastages, came out of the clouds. That’s twice, again, but still only superficial damage to the Spad, and I pressed on. The Gotha Spun out in flames, then one of the Friedrichshafen’s, leaving only the lone Friedrichshafen and a Roland. The Roland dove on a tank, the bomb not getting close enough to hurt the tank. The Roland flew lower, the rear gunner shooting at the anti aircraft battery and then targeting the troops on the ground. Last I saw of it, it circled the far side of the town, an a pillar of smoke came up, that could have meant the plane succumbed to ground fire. The last Friedrichshafen was having trouble turning back to the target, then it dove into the ground. I was the last plane in the air. I was outnumbered 5 to one, but I used the speed of my spad to get away. I was able to see that three of the four Whippets were destroyed, all of the anti aircraft batteries were still in operation. My white paint job masked me as I flew on the underside of a cloudbank, so the guns remained silent either they didn't see me, or they only saw the outline of a Spad and though I was a friendly. I sped away for home, and a stein of beer and a schnapps. I saw the wreckage of Rot Skullen’s Plane, but I didn’t see a body, so he must be sleeping in the arms of a French maid tonight.

I hope he sleeps well, we lost too many pilots today.

Wow! A most colorful report. How many planes were in the air for this one? It sounds like an epic battle.

You fly a captured Spad for Germany? Hoo, that takes some nerves of steel...I'm sure there's a few times when the infantry get confused and you draw friendly fire.

I have to ask...does Roland Oland Noland fly a Roland?

there were eight fighers and five bombers for the Germans and nine allied fighters defending, with four anti aircraft batteries

Thanks for the report...how big was your playing area?

Good report. Keep them coming.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

We play on a four by eight foot tables and 2'x8' moved around depending on the sortie. This hop was an el shaped table, one side 6'x8', with a '4x8' staggered at the end. I've set up a 6' x 16' bomber run before Its not uncommon to have 20+ players in a game

Ahh, a report that movies are made of.

Similar Missions

1. BrisWingsofWarCon - Kaiserschlacht - 20-21 March 1918
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 04:19
  2. Bloody September, 1918
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 04:53
  3. The Air Battle of St. Mihiel 12-16 Spet. 1918
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions