Thread: Official Mitsubish Ki-21 "Sally" Painting Thread

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Official Mitsubish Ki-21 "Sally" Painting Thread

1/200 scale Ki-21 from Armaments in Miniature. I primed the model, sprayed it with aerosol aluminum paint and then added Vallejo Model Color Military Green Mottling. Decals are from Miscellaneous Miniatures, LLC. Model is finished to depict one assigned to 1 Sentai, 2 Chutai, crew unknown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8171.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	195283
    Last edited by flash; 02-20-2018 at 10:48.

Nice workmanship. Really nice. Thanks for the decal company info too.

One more excellent plane!
    You are nailing them all!

Default My KI 21 (Sally)

One of 3 from 1st Chutai, 60th Sentai.

Name:	pre-doncaster pics 009 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	203154
    1/200 model from AIM, decals again supplied by Guntruck and props from Aerodrome Accesories.
    Last edited by flash; 07-28-2016 at 00:23. Reason: title adjust
    See you on the Dark Side......

Another great paintjob, Neil.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Great looking new Japanese fleet Neil! I'll have to get some of these as well as the others. Thanks.

I have 2 Claudes and 2 Petes plus 2 Nell and the Japanese are all done. Then it's onto the Dutch and US Buffaloes plus the next batch of National Chinese, CR 32s, P43's and some Hawks.

Brilliant work! Do you have pictures of the others?

Name:	KI-21-Sally_Lines.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	203192

A good top-down image might help?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Another great paint job, Neil. I have never seen this particular camouflage - very well done.

Name:	KI-21-Sally_1Chutai60Sentai.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	203197

Close?
    Mike

Better than close that is spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Close?
    Last edited by flash; 07-30-2016 at 00:52.

Neil,
    You didn't say which version, but you could just not use the waist guns, if you didn't want the second version.

Name:	WGS-Card-KI-21Sally-1stChutai60SentaiV2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	279822
    [Edit: Added Cockpit MG, and used Axis colors on Unit/Crew boxes.]

Management card to follow. With 5 crew, the waist gun positions will be either left or right not both per turn.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-26-2019 at 08:07.
    Mike

Nice work with the plane card, Mike.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

For Kevin's Plane...

Name:	WGS-Card-KI-21Sally-2ndChutai1Sentai.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	203343

Management Cards are in this album: WWII Japanese Bombers
    Mike

Nicely done Mike. Any chance of 1 to go with the Nell?

First Sally from Mike's first card above. AIM model and a mix of Miscmini 3rd Chutai 7th Sentai and I-94 decals.

I'm really loving painting Japanese as there are almost endless color schemes to do.

Name:	Sally2-1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	241474

Name:	Sally2-2.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	241475

Name:	Sally2-3.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	241476
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-19-2018 at 10:43.

Second Sally. AIM model and a mix of Miscmini and I-94 decals.

Name:	Sally1-1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	241497

Name:	Sally1-2.jpg 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	241498

Name:	Sally1-3.jpg 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	241499
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-19-2018 at 13:17.

Third and last Sally. AIM model and a mix of Miscmini and I-94 decals.

Name:	Sally3-1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	241500

Name:	Sally3-2.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	241501

Name:	Sally3-3.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	241502
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-19-2018 at 13:18.

Peter your last two posts do not show pics

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Peter your last two posts do not show pics
    Strange, I saw them when I originally posted them? Ok, should be up now.

Yep they are showing now.
    Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Yep they are showing now.
    Nice work.
    Thanks, and thanks for letting me know the photos went rogue.

Super Sallys, Peter!

REP!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice Sallys, Peter. Will they be at Cold Wars?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

WOW I don't know if you want mine flying next to yours. They are great. I think I have to do some touch up on them.

Beautiful job Peter. I like the Japanese planes too, they have personality - kind of like WW1 planes. Please tell us how you achieved the affect on #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Nice Sallys, Peter. Will they be at Cold Wars?
    Karl
    Yes they will Karl. They'll be in the Khalkin Gol game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Beautiful job Peter. I like the Japanese planes too, they have personality - kind of like WW1 planes. Please tell us how you achieved the affect on #3.
    I made what I would call a heavy wash. A bit more paint in the mix than a normal wash. Just keep adding and moving it around until you get to where you want to be.

Beauties Peter - really classy Sallys - REP inbound (working again now )

Not up to the other paint jobs here but here is one of mine. I have another 3. 1 needs some touch up and the other 2 need to be decaled.

Name:	IMG_5285.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	241579

AIM model and MISCMINI (Kevin's) decals. Photos bring out the extra work that need be done on them.

Nice Bob, another lovely target!

Not up to your paint jobs but as you say something to shoot at. I have 1 other that looks like that and 1 without the streaks. Then I have one more that will be marked with the HQ unit markings but in a different paint scheme. I should get 2 more next week and they will have the HQ (blue) markings. Yours are yellow so we will have blue (HQ), red and yellow. I don't thing we would have enough room if we put all the planes on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Not up to your paint jobs but as you say something to shoot at. I have 1 other that looks like that and 1 without the streaks. Then I have one more that will be marked with the HQ unit markings but in a different paint scheme. I should get 2 more next week and they will have the HQ (blue) markings. Yours are yellow so we will have blue (HQ), red and yellow. I don't thing we would have enough room if we put all the planes on the table.
    We probably won't use all our planes like last year. As long as we have enough for all the players that show up and I'm sure we will!

My first of five Sallys on deck. Obviously inspired by some of the others posted here.

I’ll be doing two with an aluminum base, and two with a pale green base. There really are so many choices with Japanese army aircraft. I was watching a video from the war in China, and as the photographer scans across a formation of Sallys in flight, there are multiple different schemes flying in the same group.

Name:	79B03C1C-6561-48AE-B6F0-4EC2462B708A.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	279031

Nice one Dave. By the time winter is over you'll have a good sized Japanese force! I won't have to bring any planes with me when I visit.

That’s the plan Mr. Landry!

Here are a couple more Sallys. I think I like the more course pattern better. In order to keep my sanity while painting these time consuming patterns, I would hide various stick figure shapes in the pattern and then paint around them. There are battling dinosaurs, people, bunny rabbits, kangaroos and other things tucked away. 2nd Chutai, 98th Sentai.

Name:	5D69713D-6278-459F-B01F-077227A81F2F.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	279161

Your constructive comments are always welcome as I am still learning the ropes. The one with the small pattern has a light rust weathering, amd the other is just off the line. I left the windows glossy, but hit the rest with a matt finish.

Your hidden art work, is it meant to distract attacking pilots or give them a target within a target?

Definitely for purposes of enemy distraction, and thus enhanced survival ��

Guys,
    I've found an interesting drawing for the Ki-21:

Name:	ki21cutaway.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	279203

This could be a Ki-21 1b, but note that this version has six mgs:
    A nose position;
    A dorsal position;
    A port waist position (just before the access door);
    A ventral tail position (just aft of the access door);
    Not shown but there, a starboard waist position (behind the access door, so positioned further down the aircraft than the port position); and
    A tail stinger MG (remotely operated by the dorsal gunner?).

No, I don't have the legend for this drawing, sorry.

If this drawing is accurate, we are missing an arc on the Plane Card above.

PS: The Wikipedia description of the Ki-21 Ib lists that there were five positions, but included the tail stinger. The IIb introduced the dorsal turret, so mostly internal changes (bigger bomb bay, engines... Hmmm... larger tail surfaces?) from the Ib to the IIa.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-15-2019 at 08:16.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Guys,
    I've found an interesting drawing for the Ki-21:

Name:	ki21cutaway.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	279203

This could be a Ki-21 1b, but note that this version has six mgs:
    A nose position;
    A dorsal position;
    A port waist position (just before the access door);
    A ventral tail position (just aft of the access door);
    Not shown but there, a starboard waist position (behind the access door, so positioned further down the aircraft than the port position); and
    A tail stinger MG (remotely operated by the dorsal gunner?).

No, I don't have the legend for this drawing, sorry.

If this drawing is accurate, we are missing an arc on the Plane Card above.

PS: The Wikipedia description of the Ki-21 Ib lists that there were five positions, but included the tail stinger. The IIb introduced the dorsal turret, so mostly internal changes (bigger bomb bay, engines... Hmmm... larger tail surfaces?) from the Ib to the IIa.
    Missing the tail stinger arc? Probably shouldn't be very wide as being controlled by the dorsal gunner it couldn't have been very accurate.

Not sure which Sally the AIM version is other than not the IIb as it has no turret.

I wonder if they are including the dorsal gunner and the tail stinger together as a “position”? It’s pretty clear from the drawing that both guns are there and that the plane has six weapons.

They must have had some sort of remote optical site for the tail gun. The turrets on our B29s were setup that way and were pretty deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    I wonder if they are including the dorsal gunner and the tail stinger together as a “position”? It’s pretty clear from the drawing that both guns are there and that the plane has six weapons.

They must have had some sort of remote optical site for the tail gun. The turrets on our B29s were setup that way and were pretty deadly.
    The tail stinger was controlled by the dorsal gunner, if my research means anything. I haven't included it in the firing arcs, actually. The B-29 remote turrets were much better controlled, including air speed, balistics and parallax compensations. The tail stinger was not that sophisticated.

Also, now that I examine the cut-away drawing above more closely, I see the 'cockpit window' MG, on the far side of the cockpit, aft of the co-pilot. So, seven MGs?
    Mike

You’re right, there is another MG tucked in there. This thing is bristling with little MGs!

I’m sure the B29 MGs were quite sophisticated. I am currently reading “Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors”, and was really impressed how superior the US fire control systems on ships were.

Here is my fourth, and for now, final Sally. There are still some other schemes I’d like to paint, but it’ll have to be later. This was another really time consuming job. The Vallejo paints are for air brushes, so everything takes 3 or more coats, including the camo scheme. I wish I could get these colors in a paint with some more pigment in it!

Would love to hear any constructive criticisms as I know for sure I still have a long way to go.

Name:	5D1FCC0E-B87D-40EB-9BBF-58DE61ADB412.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	279566

Great looking target Dave. Is it bombing the P-40s below that are being assembled?

More pigment paint...I'd take the paints you like to AC Moore and match them up with a craft paint as close as possible. They usually have a great selection to choose from.

Hey Peter. Thanks for the idea on paint. I’ll check that out next time I’m there.

Those P40s are certainly future adversaries of the Sallys. I’m working on what I need for a diverse CBI campaign. That seems to capture my interest the most.

Based on discussions with the G3M2 Nell, there was an additional MG in the cockpit, behind the pilots, used by the navigator or radio operator. It was moved from window to window, not a fixed installation. Using the drawing above, and the other thread's discussions (Link: Official Mitsubishi G3M Rikko "Nell" Painting Thread - Post #23), I extrapolated the below cockpit arcs:

Name:	WGS-Card-KI-21Sally-2ndChutai1SentaiV2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	279823
    [Edit: Used Axis grey on Unit/Crew box.]

Note, I haven't included the tail stinger arc. I am going to consider it the same arc, just not using a blind spot that would usually appear with a dorsal position. The tail stinger would cover that part of the arc, so the two guns are morphed into a single arc. If this causes concern, we could go to a 7 arc configuration, and put in the blind spot for the #5 arc. I am thinking of following fire, or the Aim bonus for this, as the gunner has to switch guns, even if at the same target. You guys decide which way we go.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-26-2019 at 08:09.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Kawasaki Ki-45 'Randy" Painting Thread
    By miscmini in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-27-2021, 20:49
  2. WGSF Official Kawasaki Ki48 "Lily" painting thread
    By Doug in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-04-2021, 20:55
  3. WGSF Official Nakajima Ki.27 "Nate" Painting Thread
    By FatalFlaw in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-07-2020, 21:10
  4. Official Vickers FB 5 "Gunbus Painting Thread.
    By gully_raker in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 10:22
  5. Official "Santa brought me..." thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 11:40