Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official Mitsubish Ki-21 "Sally" Painting Thread

Mike. I think that is an innovative way to simplify the function of gunner #5. Especially since he would not be able to operate both guns at the same time. If #5 has to switch guns, I would not give him the aim bonus.

I wish I could paint my last Unpainted Sally to match that card. I just can’t consistently get lines that fine, even with a 20/0 brush. I miscalculate too often, pushing the brush forward, thus making too thick of a line.

Thanks for all the awesome work on these cards!

Plane and Management cards for these planes are redone, and in my WWII Japanese Bomber album.

Link: WWII Japanese Bombers
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Here is my first complete 2 Engine Bomber card. These are at TON of work compared to fighters. Once again, thanks to Mike for some coaching.

I did not put the shading onside the arcs as I typically see. For these complex arcs, I thought it looks better without them.

What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Card Ki-21 Sally Pale Green with Squiggles.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	641.6 KB 
ID:	281327

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    Here is my first complete 2 Engine Bomber card. These are at TON of work compared to fighters. Once again, thanks to Mike for some coaching.

I did not put the shading onside the arcs as I typically see. For these complex arcs, I thought it looks better without them.

What do you guys think?

Name:	Card Ki-21 Sally Pale Green with Squiggles.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	641.6 KB 
ID:	281327
    Nice first attempt.

Shading on the arcs is a preference, and on a busy card it could be distracting. I try to put the shading on a layer under the plane image, to keep the plane looking sharp.

I might consider a small stroke (outline) on the individual firing arc dots, though, as that is where the range ruler goes to measure shots. Make them as distinct as possible. Keep your Index at the top of the card in Blue and the same size as the Maneuver Card lines, and the Arrow at the base of the card the same size as the Maneuver Card, as well. If the color blends into the background, you could put a white/grey stroke or outer glow on the arrow to ensure visibiliy.
    Mike

Nice card Dave! Looks good to me. Nice large firing data for old eyes to actually be able to read.

Those are very good suggestions Mike. I’ll make those changes.

Peter, I definitely went with larger icons to make it easier to see. It doesn’t look just like the stock cards, but playability is most important to me.

Impressive work. Thank you!

Here is another one of my Sally cards with two of the three suggestions for improvement from Mike. I could not get a Stroke onto the center dots for the Gunner Arcs for some reason. That option was greyed out when I selected the dots. I was able to do a white stroke around the top center and bottom arrow. This drew them out very nicely.

One more Sally to draw, and I am back to painting! It's been a couple weeks and I am anxious to get back to it. From now on, I'll try to do the cards as I paint the planes.

What do you think of this one?

Name:	Card Ki-21 Sally Aluminum with Large Speckles.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	662.9 KB 
ID:	281365

Super. Looks just like a plane I've seen.

Here is another one of my Sally cards with two of the three suggestions for improvement from Mike. I could not get a Stroke onto the center dots for the Gunner Arcs for some reason. That option was greyed out when I selected the dots. I was able to do a white stroke around the top center and bottom arrow. This drew them out very nicely.

One more Sally to draw, and I am back to painting! It's been a couple weeks and I am anxious to get back to it. From now on, I'll try to do the cards as I paint the planes.

What do you think of this one?

Name:	Card Ki-21 Sally Aluminum with Large Speckles.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	662.9 KB 
ID:	281365
    With the arcs on the rear of the plane, try to do a 10% fill on the Dorsal #5 arc. Place it under all the other arcs, but the idea is to show that it extends into parts of #3 and #4. See how it looks, and if that doesn't work for you, don't use it. Or reverse it, and put the fill only under arcs #3 and 4. Play with it to find what works for you.

If you can't put a stroke on an extisting dot, draw a new one, with a stroke and fill. If that doesn't appeal, you could draw an elipse, with only a stroke (no fill) to highlight the underlying dot. Either way would highlight the dot, and distinguish it from the arc color. There are lots of ways to achieve an effect. You just have to find one that works for you and your software. Try to keep the arc dots a consistent size, too (Dot on arc #1 looks bigger than the others, and much bigger than #s 3, 4, 5, and 6).

Sometimes, I can't, for whatever reason, get an object to co-operate (color change, size, stroke thickness, etc...). If that happens, I go get a similar object from another source (within the current file, or another file), and copy it. Delete the unco-operative object, and continue with the borrowed one. Change colors or size as needed, whatever gets the result I want.

Don't be afraid to change the intensity of your background, too. I do add adjustment layers to the background to lighten, or darken, them, if it makes the plane and arcs more visible. This can be a subtle amount, or something drastic, depending on the need.

I noticed that you didn't put in the Blue Aircraft Center (or card Center) dot, nor the Blue Tailing dot. These aren't used too often, but they should be there.

The above are just tweeks on an otherwise very good card. If you can use it in a game, and it works for you, it is all gravy.
    Mike

... These are at TON of work compared to fighters.

Yup. They are a lot different, with much more detail. And, you have to do two of them; a Plane card; and a Management card. Each having their own peculiarities.
    Mike

A good card, Dave.

My understanding is that there were five crew members in a Sally. So, did the same crew member use guns 3, 4 and 6, or did one crewman use guns 3 and 4 and another use 5 and 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    A good card, Dave.

My understanding is that there were five crew members in a Sally. So, did the same crew member use guns 3, 4 and 6, or did one crewman use guns 3 and 4 and another use 5 and 6?
    Link: Mitsubishi KI-21 Ib 'Sally' Management Card

Depending on the version, up to seven crew.

PS: The #2 MG was operated by the Radio Operator or Navigator, and was not in fixed positions. It was fired by hand, out of side windows.
    Mike

Here is the last of my Sallys with a few improvements as suggested by Mike. I'll make some of the others on my next bomber card series.

Name:	Card Ki-21 Sally Aluminum with Small Speckles.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	683.2 KB 
ID:	281500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Kawasaki Ki-45 'Randy" Painting Thread
    By miscmini in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-27-2021, 20:49
  2. WGSF Official Kawasaki Ki48 "Lily" painting thread
    By Doug in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-04-2021, 20:55
  3. WGSF Official Nakajima Ki.27 "Nate" Painting Thread
    By FatalFlaw in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-07-2020, 21:10
  4. Official Vickers FB 5 "Gunbus Painting Thread.
    By gully_raker in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 10:22
  5. Official "Santa brought me..." thread.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 11:40