Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberty Ship Contstruction Yard

Default Liberty Ship Contstruction Yard

I was discussing some of the ships (top down 200 scale) I uploaded to the Files section, and one of the members had a great idea to make cargo ships for convoy scenario (Blackronin).

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...landing-drills

So here is what I have so far as it is erected at the imaginary ship yard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liberty Ship Yard 1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	195225
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 05-02-2016 at 07:50.

Please, if any body has any feedback or ideas about the image please post it .

Just enjoying the show, Chris.

Hi Chris, I'm running in 'thick' mode today. Are these images in the File Section? If so where?

Good morning Rebel,

Yes sir, I have all of the existing ships in the WWII file section (including Mods and game chips):

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...hp?do=cat&id=7

Thank you for looking at the images sir,
    Chris

Great idea Chris. Sure there is a few Liberty ships still docked.

Here's the SS Jeremiah O'Brien, if you are good with cutting images from google maps. Took a tour of it last spring break with the boy.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/SS...3343bc67cd2ea9

Quote Originally Posted by THECCRICH View Post
    Good morning Rebel,

Yes sir, I have all of the existing ships in the WWII file section (including Mods and game chips):

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...hp?do=cat&id=7

Thank you for looking at the images sir,
    Chris
    Told you I was running in thick mode! I can find Butler, Fletcher and Casablanca but not the Liberty Ship. What am I doing wrong?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Told you I was running in thick mode! I can find Butler, Fletcher and Casablanca but not the Liberty Ship. What am I doing wrong?
    Well, as this thread was started to show a work-in-progress shot of the Liberty ship that he's currently working on a design for, I think I might have an idea....

I wish the Liberty was finish, then I could start playing with it ...

Thank you for the other image Franco, until now I only had the image of the one in Tampa Bay where I live...

I'm finding there were several armament variations between the ships, so I decided to just deck it out as I'm sure was the case later in the war to repel Kamikaze attacks (just guessing).

Thanks

Franco,

Nice...!!!
    That one is very clear and contains all of the armament...

And Mother of Perl, that's a sub next to her...

Thank you!!!

We should start a Google Map thread including all of the WWII ship museums every one knows of and post the URLs here (or new thread).

I'll go first:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...2e579b1bd2d539
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 05-02-2016 at 13:44.

Here is another, Battleship Cove in Fall River Mass.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/US...0070827642af0a

Battleship Cove is a nonprofit maritime museum and war memorial in Fall River, Massachusetts. Featuring the world's largest collection of World War II naval vessels, it is home to the highly decorated battleship USS Massachusetts. The submarine USS Lionfish is also there along with a pair of PT boats, the destroyer USS Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. (comissioned in December of 1945) and lastly an East German corvette, Hiddensee.
    (The PT boats are not in the water)

Franco,

Nice...!!!
    That one is very clear and contains all of the armament...

And Mother of Perl, that's a sub next to her...

Thank you!!!
    You're very welcome Chris.

If you are ever out in San Fransisco, you can tour the insides of the O'Brien and the USS Pampanito (sub next to her). They are both worth walking through.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Here is another, Battleship Cove in Fall River Mass.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/US...0070827642af0a

Battleship Cove is a nonprofit maritime museum and war memorial in Fall River, Massachusetts. Featuring the world's largest collection of World War II naval vessels, it is home to the highly decorated battleship USS Massachusetts. The submarine USS Lionfish is also there along with a pair of PT boats, the destroyer USS Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. (comissioned in December of 1945) and lastly an East German corvette, Hiddensee.
    (The PT boats are not in the water)
    That's a beautiful looking boat Peter. Mass just got another plus for a future spring break destination.

The Lionfish is an interesting story however. It only sunk one other ship, and with its deck gun at that (if Wikipedia is to be trusted.) I have a USS Lionfish mug in the cupboard.

Nice ships Teaticket...!!!

Rebel,

Sir, do you have any ship museums in the UK..?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Surprisingly few big preserved ships here unfortunately - WWII left Britain essentially flat broke, so ship preservation was simply not in the budget. We have a few small ships dotted around, but the cruiser HMS Belfast is the only sizable WWII survivor, along with a single WWI light cruiser. Similarly we don't have too many older ships, but HMS Warrior and HMS Victory in Portsmouth, and the Napoleonic frigate HMS Trincomalee in Hartlepool are fine specimens, as is the replica of Drake's Golden Hind in London. Preserved merchant ships are even rarer - the Cutty Sark and the SS Great Britain are the only two that spring to mind.

Thanks for the update Dom; I never really knew the scope of scrapping World War II military hardware for their raw materials until just recently.

Default Ships in UK

Rebel,

Sir, do you have any ship museums in the UK..?
    Well we have HMS Belfast on the Thames near Tower Bridge and Portsmouth with HMS Victory and HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose Museum.
    There is also the Cutty Sark tea clipper at Greenwich. There are probably others, one at Whitby whose name escapes me and others that I don't know about.
    For 'one at Whitby' read 'one at Hartlepool' with thanks to Dom whose memory is probably a lot younger than mine.
    Last edited by Rebel; 05-06-2016 at 09:02. Reason: Correction

It looks pretty good to me. A Google Images search will produce many photographs of Liberty ships and 3D plan views.

Elevations for most of the common US-built WWII merchant and militarized-merchie designs of the WWII and prewar years can be found at http://www.usmaritimecommission.de/ if that'll help.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thank you Diamondback, that was super helpful... Blue prints on file now

I didn't get very far, but here is what I got so far:

Name:	Liberty Ship Yard 2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	195664

It's getting really nice, Chris.

Users Country Flag

Name
    SImon
    Sorties Flown

http://www.nmrn.org.uk/exhibitions-p...onitor-hms-m33

This is new in Portsmouth.
    (Well it's not new, been there years, but it's now polished up and open.)

Simon,

Great site on that one, I will have to read up on her...

Hmmm . . . . . I can see a Q-ship in my future . . . then a few U-boats, then I am in a different game realm . . . ah, well, back to the carriers . . . looks very cool!

Clipper1801,

I have some submarine graphics for US, Japan, and Germany ready to go...

They are not my work, just images off the net... I had hoped to scale and prep them in the months to come...

I had to look Q-ships up (Wiki), but super cool idea...

I could just modify a liberty ship graphic to include depth charge racks, hedgehog systems, and torpedo tubes...

General quarters...!!! General quarters...!!! Submarine bearing 267 running 13 knots... General quarters...!!! General quarters...!!! This is not a drill

Fire one of these torpedoes at the sub:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=2225

Name:	Allied Mk. 13 Torpedo Running.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	195890

Great impute, thanks...
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 05-08-2016 at 12:44.

I remember being forced to read "The Cruel Sea" back in high school - everyone but me hated it, no one but me got an "A" on the final! The teacher was a WWII British Navy guy! I did miss the value of that, sadly . . . I have the sub cards from Max laminated, yours are great and I will add them to the collection with thanks! Chatting with my brother in law who was on carriers for 8 years I have a great respect for how close you can really place the ships in the game, they needed a lot of spacing for thier own safety from each other! : ) His most stressful days were group photos with the support ships in such close proximity just for the sake of the cameras!

Clipper 1801,

I knew it was dangerous running along side another ship (i.e. supply ships replenishing stores and munitions) but never really considered being on board watching the sea whisk between you and the other ship, and getting a solid idea of how close and how fast you are in relation to that other ship. Interesting perspective sir.

I also like what you said about loving this stuff to the dismay of those around you...

Ever since Blackronin proposed the cargo ship idea, I have not been able to put the Liberty Ship down...

It seems as though the Liberty Ship was the unsung hero of the war, and I am really getting into it's deck plans as I inch by inch it.

Here is the latest:

Name:	Liberty Ship Yard 4.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	195909

Indeed Chris, this and many accurate games open our eyes to much more than we ever thought. This is why I like games of other kinds, but they will never enrich us in appreciation of the efforts of others like history games. That said, the backbone of the war was the Liberty ships. the tons of cargo and good will helped forge the world relationships we still enjoy today. I was so into the U-Boat war since it is exotic and unseen, until Das Boot came out and I had opportunity to walk through the U-505 in Chicago and realized the glamor and the grime of the reality made it less sweet. For a long while I left the military aspect of history and turned the other direction and then realized you cannot turn your back on any of it, the goal is to discover and begin to understand in the history in human terms from both sides and not form the Hollywood and romanticized vision. That's when I started reading the accounts of those who were really there and had opportunity to talk with survivors - that makes our "game" even more wonderful as a doorway to the soul of those in the war. For that kind of insight I am particularly tuned. Sorry for the diatribe, but you are into something very wonderful in all this mere game. Our friends overseas are also a wonderful doorway to learn of the others who were involved adding to and broadening our perspective and understanding. Enjoy the journey, the game, and most important in my book, the lives and stories you find. THere has been a lot written these past years on the whole Liberty Ship story, politics and all, it is fascinating! Now back to the building and game board! Cheers! Dave

Indeed, David. one of the greatest gifts of this hobby is to discover what heroes actually did fight, die and survive in the war. The gritty details are fascinating, horrifying and inspiring all at the same time.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Oh... Starting to feel it now...

Name:	Liberty Ship Yard 5.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	195975

Looking good Chris. I have some top down drawings of 5 different Japanese destroyers and one of the Kongo battleship if you'd like them?

Users Country Flag

Name
    SImon
    Sorties Flown

I once built some of these in 1:6000 scale.
    Here's one after a bit of an unfortunate incident.

Name:	sinking1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	196245

My internet has been off line all week and I'm back...

Teaticket,

Looking good Chris. I have some top down drawings of 5 different Japanese destroyers and one of the Kongo battleship if you'd like them?
    Yes, I would love to see them sir... Please...

Clipper1801 I just checked that site out, I think I will be spending some timer there

SImon... Axis and Allies Awesome (Ship that is...

Marathoned it today... Wooo... Hooo...

Name:	Liberty Ship Yard 8.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	196539
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Liberty Ship Yard 8.jpg  
    Last edited by THECCRICH; 05-15-2016 at 21:46.

Very nice! My sea elves are talking . . .
    Say hello to them for me sir...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Shaping up very nicely indeed.

Congratulations, Chris!

I'm entering into the work week and will have to let it rest for a bit, but this is what the weekend yielded for me:

Name:	Liberty Ship Yard 9.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	196609

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Well at least you've made a start....

You almost finished it!
    Cool.