Ares Games

Thread: Future of A-10

Question Future of A-10

Today, Czech newspapers wrote about seeking the next generation of CAS (Close Air Suppport) airplane for US armed forces. They said there are there major options:
    1. turboprop aircrafts (Super Tucano, Texan II. or Bronco),
    2. battle versions of jets (T-50, F-35 or Textron Scorpion),
    3. deep modernisation of A-10.

I know there are many retired aircraftsmen so I am interested in opinions of people who are interested in attacking beasts. What do you think?

Being ex Marine, there will never be anything that can do exactly what the warthog can do. It would be a sad day for ground troops to lose it

I see this argument a lot elsewhere -- the only answer anyone has come up with which hasn't been shot full of holes is: [Kosh] "Yes" [/Kosh].

Each versions has its fortes, and its foibles; and is useful in a different circumstance where the others are not; so, by nature, all three will come to pass.

Suprisingly, it is a popular topic in our technical newspapers. It is strange, because there was not any major in formations about last flights of Su-25 in Czech Air Force, but may be it was because Aero L-159s were in use. Of course, both are quite different types of CAS airplanes, but Warthogs are popular here. May be it is because they are too ugly for not loving them

heavy modernization of the a-10.

I'd rather see a heavily modernized Hog as a stepping stone to either new-production (the airframes ARE getting old after all) or a "next generation" version of the big gun-heavy armor-long loiter-easy maintenance/reload concept.

F-35's great for sneaking in and taking potshots but has like NO loiter time.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

I am surprised that they are not trying to replace them with armoured drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I am surprised that they are not trying to replace them with armoured drones.
    Watch this space

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Better trained pilots for one.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. In the near future...
    By Teaticket in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 17:32
  2. What we know about future releases
    By Dan-Sam in forum WGS: General Discussions