Ares Games

Thread: Archie's Balloon Protection

Default Archie's Balloon Protection

Well, a forced weekend away from home has meant that I have had plenty of time to get out the tool box and do some kit bashing and scratching...

My first priority of this weekend has been to create my Mk.III altitude pegs, as I feel that the use of the official pegs doesn't lend itself to the soaring and diving feel of the game (IMO).

The Mk.I and Mk.II version were both made using brass 1/32" rod and 1/16" tubing, which are good enough for my 1:600 scale Battle of Britain formations but lack stability when using the 1:144 aircraft at heights above level 2 due to the weight of the rod and tubing involverd. So I have opted for plastic tubing and rods in 5cm lengths with a 50% offset:

For aircraft I have used 5/32" tubes with 3/32" rods, and for the balloons this has been upscaled to 7/32" tubing with 5/32" rods. These sizes have allowed me to glue the corresponding altitiude pegs tip of one Mk.III peg to use the conventional bases. Aircraft stability is good up to level 6 provided care is taken when moving and up to level 4 with the balloon, which I believe is its maximum game height anyway.

For Archie fire I have used the guns from Skytrex's mobile AAA and MGs, modelled onto Citadel 25mm solid round bases:

I think the overall effect is quite good:

For the flak clouds I simply glued a WoW altitude peg into a cotton ball and the bottom altitude peg into a modified Citadel small flying base. As a nod to GBAD I have made this bottom altitude peg 10cm instead of the normal 5cm to represent the minimum safe detonating height. I have allowed a maximum height of 6 to give the flyers a chance of getting past:

So putting all the elements together I think I have created a more airy playing environment where gameplay has a more 3D impact:

I await your comments and suggestions as always Gentlemen...
    Last edited by Strangely Brown; 10-24-2010 at 16:13. Reason: Additonal info added

You did some nice work. Is that a silver Nieuport 16?

Thumbs up Archie's Balloon Protection

Simon!

Very nicely done! Great photos also! I like the AA guns!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    You did some nice work. Is that a silver Nieuport 16?
    I won't go so far to say that they ARE Nieuport 16's, but that they simply represent Nieuports flown by 29 Sq RFC/RAF...

I have used the Nieuport 17's and 23's and the rocket equipped Nieuport from the Balloon Busters set, with a repaint of GW mithril silver.

Although I have gone for 29 Sqn markings, I am not a stickler for detail as I go more the feel of the thing...

...maybe that's why I have 200 25mm Napolionic British still sitting in the box unpainted

It looks GREAT. I'm definitely going to steal ... er, borrow ... some of your ideas.

Very interesting usage of materials. As my Skytrex A.A, guns are on there way, I anticipate a lot of work in a few days time. Thanks for that.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very interesting usage of materials. As my Skytrex A.A, guns are on there way, I anticipate a lot of work in a few days time. Thanks for that.
    Rob.
    You're welcome!

As you may (or may not) have already figured out, the guns are not fixed in to the bases so that they can be mounted in the wagon should I feel the need to go mobile.

Similar Missions

1. Got my Balloon today!
    By rcboater in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 08:28
  2. Balloon models
    By Khargor in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 07:56
  3. Multiplayer: Balloon Busting
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6