Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Mitsubishi Zero painting Thread

Default Official Mitsubishi Zero painting Thread

This is the the AIM A6M5 Zeros that Peter (Teaticket) painted for me.
    I'm overwhelmed and happy.
    I'm showcasing them just for the beauty of it.

Photos and edition by Camille.

Last edited by flash; 05-03-2016 at 11:26. Reason: Title adjust

Wow, beautiful planes Joaquim! I'd post photos of mine but they are the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Wow, beautiful planes Joaquim! I'd post photos of mine but they are the same!

Tomorrow Camille will post something for you to post photos...

Saw those beauties in the flesh. They are every bit as good as they look in the photos .
    Peter.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Actually mine are a bit different. I have spinning props and the wing guns aren't there as 2 had a broken one so I cut mine all off. Guess I'll post some photos tomorrow...

Here are more AIM A6M5 Zeros, my copy of the Black Squadron.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br3.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	195439

Name:	br2.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	195440

Name:	br7.JPG 
Size:	443.1 KB 
ID:	195441

Name:	br4.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	412.9 KB 
ID:	195442

Name:	br5.JPG 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	195443

Name:	br6.JPG 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	195444

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    This is the AIM A6M5 Zero that Peter (Teaticket) painted for me.

Hmmm....
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-04-2016 at 16:40.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Would this be useful?

Attachment 195447
    I want to marry you, Mike!!
    I just want to marry you!

Can you please, please make the other two?!

But the deck is not B (at least not in my book), can you make it A+ deck?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Here are more AIM A6M5 Zeros, my copy of the Black Squadron.

Name:	br3.JPG 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	195439

Name:	br2.JPG 
Size:	596.8 KB 
ID:	195440

Name:	br7.JPG 
Size:	443.1 KB 
ID:	195441

Name:	br4.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	412.9 KB 
ID:	195442

Name:	br5.JPG 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	195443

Name:	br6.JPG 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	195444
    They're exactly the same!
    We have to make our campaign.

Joaquin,
    You'll have to get rid of my present Better Half to marry me.

The Unofficial Stats Committee is where I took the numbers from. They don't say "A", but it could be " F"?

I'm resting my ill body at the moment, so later today I'll get the others done.
    Mike

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great work here, lads - kudos all around!

All the best,
    Matt

Joaquin,
    You'll have to get rid of my present Better Half to marry me.

The Unofficial Stats Committee is where I took the numbers from. They don't say "A", but it could be " F"?

I'm resting my ill body at the moment, so later today I'll get the others done.
    Camille is also having a problem with my sudden decision to marry you... I'll postpone the proposal until I calm down.
    I know that the committee has a B deck for the A6M5... I don't agree. It was more maneuverable than a Spitfire Mk.2... So why make it equal to a Me-109?

Can you, in name of our almost engagement make them with the A deck?

Oh, and you do have all the time in the world.
    Did you see my new solo decks for WW2?

One more question.
    What is your favorite plane?

Joaquin,
    I think you really mean you want to be my "winger", not spouse. But, we are already wingers.

Being that these are custom cards for custom paint jobs, I can make them anything you want. " A+" it is.

Yes, I saw your wonderful work, and want to get to it, but a convention and a nasty cold I caught during the con have slowed me down some. I'm in bed communing with my remaining cat, trying to beat the cold. This weekend, I expect to be recovered enough to start working on it, if my Better Half doesn't get me to tear apart the office for repainting. Then, I'll really be taking a break from computer work.
    Mike

Joaquin,
    I think you really mean you want to be my "winger", not spouse. But, we are already wingers.

Being that these are custom cards for custom paint jobs, I can make them anything you want. " A+" it is.

Yes, I saw your wonderful work, and want to get to it, but a convention and a nasty cold I caught during the con have slowed me down some. I'm in bed communing with my remaining cat, trying to beat the cold. This weekend, I expect to be recovered enough to start working on it, if my Better Half doesn't get me to tear apart the office for repainting. Then, I'll really be taking a break from computer work.
    Wingers we are!
    Get better. I returned from Prague with a cold that really was hard to kill.

And what is you favorite WW1 or WW2 plane?

Joaquin,

Wingers we are!

Wingers we are!

I'm trying to get better. And I'm ignoring your other question.
    Mike

I'm trying to get better. And I'm ignoring your other question.
    For any reason in special?

For any reason in special?
    "For any reason in particular?" is the expression you are looking for, I think. And yes. But, I'm not going to answer that question, either.

Just enjoy the cards.
    Mike

"For any reason in particular?" is the expression you are looking for, I think. And yes. But, I'm not going to answer that question, either.

Just enjoy the cards.
    You right, my sentence was wrong.
    Okay.
    Your particulars are your particulars to keep.

Your sentence wasn't wrong, cause I understood it. I was attempting to provide a more common phrase. It could be worded many ways, including "Any particular reason?"

Like the conversation:
    "Did you do that for a special occassion?"
    "No. Not for any particular reason."

Original card pilot: Black Ronin (Google Translation, sorry)

Pilot: Black Blade (Google Translation, sorry)

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Card-A6M5-52 ZeroBlackBlade.png  Views: 294  Size: 288.6 KB  ID: 195535" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Pilot: Black Demon (Google Translation, sorry)

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Card-A6M5-52 ZeroBlackDemon.png  Views: 291  Size: 288.6 KB  ID: 195536" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-04-2016 at 16:47.
    Mike

Thanks, Mike!

You are the best!

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default 1/200 AIM A6M5s

Two A6M5s from Armaments in Miniature. I want to say the planes are painted as aircraft from the 203rd kokutai. Decals are from Miscellaneous Miniatures, LLC. Vallejo military green on top, gray green on the bottom, black gray on the cowl, heavily weathered with silver paint.

Name:	IMG_8219.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	198247

Kevin, these are wonderful too.

You've done a great job on the weathering.
    I just couldn't bring myself to "spoil" a factory finish - all the more credit to those of you who can!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Very nice indeed - I normally like factory finish, but the truly appalling level of worn and flaked paint that many photos of real Japanese aircraft show makes them a prime candidate for this approach, and you've really nailed the look.

Those look grand Kevin
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Lieutenant Commander Shigeru Itaya and wingman off the Akagi training for the Pearl Harbor strike, November 1941. The A6M2s are Shapeways FUD by Dragontamer 96, with Tamiya and Vallejo paint and I-94 Enterprises and home made decals.

Name:	IMG_0298.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	206369

Name:	IMG_0293.JPG 
Views:	271 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	206367

Name:	IMG_0297.JPG 
Views:	273 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	206368

Name:	LCDR Shigeru Itaya.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	206371

Name:	602px-Akagi_Zero_Hitokappu.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	206370

Very nice indeed!!!

Here is my modest addition to the A6M2 postings. A flight for Kaga in December 1941. Flight leader Yoshio Shiga.

Name:	5839691D-E1C0-422B-8F6F-9C3BFF894BE7.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	278873
    Last edited by flash; 11-30-2019 at 01:38. Reason: pic inserted correctly

For my first venture into 1/200 modelling for WGS, I painted a box of Warlord A6M5 Zeros as aircraft of 311 Squadron, 501 Naval Air Group, flying from carrier Taiho during the Battle of the Philippine Sea, June 19-20 1944. Aircraft number 1-102 is taken from a profile, other aircraft numbers are conjectural.

Name:	Zero.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	287513

Name:	ZeroClose.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	287514

Paints are whatever I had on hand that looked about right. The canopy is Model Master Light Gray. The underside is from a 20 year old tin of Humbrol Gray A/N2, opened for the first time and fresh as the day I bought it. The black cowling and yellow wing id panels are Testors Pla Enamel (!). The spinner is Delta Ceramcoat Dark Umber (I think - the label is off that bottle). Upper surfaces are a base of dark green Folk Art Thicket, dry-brushed with medium green Folk Art Clover to bring out the panel lines. I slopped a thin black wash over-all a couple of times, then dry-brushed the bottom in the base color.

Decals...Wing hinomarus top and bottom are from the Mark I 1/144 hinomaru sheets, with white surround and without. Fuselage hinomarus are from the Dom's Decals 1/285 sheet of hinomarus with white surrounds. I got lucky and the shades of red matched very well. The three-digit aircraft numbers are from an I-94 sheet of 1/285 white and red Russian id numbers. The '1-' prefix is hand painted.

The models were sealed with Army Painter Matte lacquer spray, which I don't ordinarily use, but I tried a can. It's given me some problems with other models (too shiny), but I like the effect on these Zeros.

Very nice Irv. An impressive flight. Sadly they will be on the receiving end in the Marianas Turkey Shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by zippyfusenet View Post
    For my first venture into 1/200 modelling for WGS, I painted a box of Warlord A6M5 Zeros as aircraft of 311 Squadron, 501 Naval Air Group, flying from carrier Taiho during the Battle of the Philippine Sea, June 19-20 1944. Aircraft number 1-102 is taken from a profile, other aircraft numbers are conjectural.....
    Nice job!

The models, close up, are not acceptable to me. You make them look much better than I would have thought they could.
    Last edited by flash; 09-29-2020 at 01:20. Reason: spurious pics
    Mike

Helpful note on Japanese codes:

Everything before the last three digits is the Unit ID code, which differs between land and carrier squadrons. Carriers were typically a letter and a Roman numeral identifying Carrier Division and ship:
    *CarDiv 1: AI = Akagi, AII = Kaga
    *CarDiv 2: BI = Soryu, BII = Hiryu
    *CarDiv 3: CI = Zuiho (to 6/42) or Unyo (7-10/42), CII = Hosho (to 6/42) or Taiyo (7-10/42)
    *CarDiv 4: DI = Ryujo (to 7/42) or Hiyo (8-10/42), DII = Taiyo (to 3/42), Shoho (4-5/42) or Junyo (5-10/42), DIII = Ryujo (from 7/42)
    *CarDiv 5: EI = Shokaku (to 7/42) or Zuikaku (from 7/42), EII = Zuikaku (to 7/42) or Shokaku (from 7/42)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Japanese_Navy

Then in the last three, the first digit is the mission type:
    *1xx = Fighter
    *2xx = Dive Bomber
    *3xx = Level Bomber (either carrier torpedo or land-based long-range, both Kates/Jills and Nells/Bettys always have 3xx codes)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Peter, A6M5 Zeros in 1944 are targets, that's just a fact of life. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

Mike, in future I'm going to look for better models than Warlord. I tried them, and now I know. I was disappointed when I opened the box, but I went to work and made them the best I could.

You've made a grand job of them!

Default Hogan Wings 1/200 Zero

Got these direct from China on evilbay. Hogan Wings 1/200 A6M2 Zeros. Metal is very hard. I had difficulty drilling for pegs. I tried to cut the landing gear off remove the gear doors and replace the doors. Sounded good in my head but didn't execute well. Ended up being more work than just filing and sanding would be.

Name:	plaines today 009.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	287785

Name:	plaines today 008.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	287786
    Last edited by flash; 09-29-2020 at 01:21. Reason: pic inserted correctly

Good looking Zeros. I tip my hat again to your crafting skills. I hack diecasts up something awful with my dremel. As long as the damage is on the bottom, I don't mind too much, but I always have to repaint.

I searched for 'Hogan Wings 1/200 Zero' and variations on Ebay, Amazon and Google, but found nuthin'. Got a link? I want to checkitout.

These look great. I’d pick some up too.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

Hi Joaquin they are lovely A6m5 , can you tell me who makes the dragon decals , thanks Steve.

This is my second addition to the A6M thread.

First up is a group of A6M2’s from the Tainan Kōkūtai during 1942. The planes were all base coated using an airbrush and a mix of 75% Tamiya IJN Gray-Green and 25% Tamiya white. The canopy glass was hand painted with Vallejo Metal Color, Silver (these are excellent acrylic metallic color paints, imho) and shaded with Tamiya enamel based panel liner, black. I’ve been liking the enamel based shading because you can easily modulate it with some odorless white spirits even the next day. V-128 (far right) was panel lined with Tamiya brown panel liner. I like the subtle effect, but it was time consuming to do. I did the panel lines on V-104 and V-117 with the wonder-product Flory Models panel liner. This gives a much bolder effect, and takes 1/4 the time of an enamel based liner. It also doesn’t stink. The three planes that got the detailed panel line treatment were coated with Vallejo Matt Varnish. I decided mid-project to skip the panel lines on some. When I look at pictures of Zeroes from the early war, they were always very clean and shined. You can hardly see the panel lines in these pictures. I also thought the heavy panel lines on the zeroes make them look sort of cartoonish. My research supported that in the first year of war with the Allies the ground crews would wash the planes often. So, I just highlighted the control surfaces and gave them a satin finish using AK 3rd Generation Varnish. This was wonderful stuff to work with compared to Vallejo varnish. It brushes on so nice. I also tested the use of Vallejo Thinner Medium on this project. I was using Vallejo Model Color black on the cowlings, and it just wasn’t going on nice, and kept drying the brush and laying down streaky. I threw a little of that thinner medium in and what a world of difference. The paint laid down beautifully and didn’t dry out nearly as fast. I’d guess 20% or less of the Thinner Medium did the trick. Each of these planes can be attributed to an actual pilot in history. The great work on the unit, Eagles of the Southern Sky details each one. Decals are stock Miscellaneous Miniatures.

Name:	D02AA9BE-352E-4DF4-A434-7D88077614DA.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	292846

Next is a group of carrier based A6M2’s. Hiryu (2 blue), Soryu (1 blue), Zuikaku (2 white) and Akagi (1 red) are represented. With the exception of the hinomaru and the tail code on BII-140, all tail codes are homemade, and fuselage stripes hand painted. The painting methods are outlined above. The straggler in the back was a chipping experiment. I didn’t want to try it out on a larger, more expensive plane, and I had plenty of A6M2’s on hand. There actually were a few A6M2’s that ended up in this paint scheme. They were leftovers, or survivors that ended up in second line service, training roles, or in the very end, kamikaze. If you’re curious about the chipping method, check out my recent post on G3M Nells.

Name:	1C94700E-6A6F-400E-8D45-1F2A32B6A302.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	292847

Last but not least is a flight of 3 nice new A6M5’s. Base colors were airbrushed, upper surfaces are Mr Color IJN Dark Green (Mitsubishi), underside is a gray, but for some reason I didn’t write it down and promptly forgot.... canopies and control surface highlights as above. Finished with brush applied Vallejo Matt Varnish. Decals are stock Miscellaneous Miniatures. The heavily chipped guy was base coated by air brush with AK Extreme Metal Matt Aluminum and Tamiya JN Green (XF-11) and chipped as described in my G3M Nell post. I love the Mr Color dark green. It is by far the most accurate out of the bottle for IJN planes. They also have a separate dark green for planes built by Nakajima. These cellulose based paints are nasty, but man do they lay down smooth, and have amazing durability. Face mask and extraction are a must!

Name:	C28C20D6-A1DA-4954-87B0-E55C5888F01B.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	292848

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. I’m probably telling you all things you already know. Now to find something to do with all these Zeroes. I still have a batch of A6M3’s to do, but I’m zeroed out for now. I’d like to hear opinions on the panel line or not based on these examples. For bombers, it is a must. I’m not convinced when it comes to fighters. What do you guys like better?
    Last edited by Dak21; 09-28-2020 at 20:22.

Great Job!! Awesome detail!!

Great stuff!

Can't Rep you - already did for the 'Nell's.

Great looking planes Dave. Rep inbound
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Dak21 View Post
    ... I’d like to hear opinions on the panel line or not based on these examples. For bombers, it is a must. I’m not convinced when it comes to fighters. What do you guys like better?
    Neither am I Dave - Less is more in my opinion.

"He is wise who watches"

Very, very nice
    well deserved rep fired

cheers,
    Guus
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Perhaps soft grey panel lines, instead of hard black? I like to see some definition. Otherwise, the planes look like 'cheap' molded plastic toys.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Ju 52 (1/200) Painting Thread
    By Nightbomber in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 01-13-2024, 08:44
  2. WGSF Official Mitsubishi G4M2 Betty painting thread
    By Teaticket in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-29-2021, 16:00
  3. WGSF Official Mitsubishi G3M Rikko "Nell" Painting Thread
    By miscmini in forum Painting Showcase