Ares Games

Thread: Jasta 7 colours, Halberstat CL II colours

OkYaa

Default Jasta 7 colours, Halberstat CL II colours

Hi All,

I have just purchased some very nice Shapeways Fokker Dr1s and Halberstats and now come to the trick part of painting them.

Please an anyone recommend a book/site that has colour schemes for Fokker Dr I's from Jasta 7. Also, the same for a Halberstat Cl II unit.

Many thanks in advance

Regards

OkYaa!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Jasta 7 only ever had two Fokker Dr.Is, both Jacobs' personal mounts. (One was repainted, so there's a third scheme.) Googling Josef Jacobs Fokker Dr.I will find them in short order.

Halberstadt CL.IIs are trickier, as they were always lozenge camouflaged on the wings, and most of the time had a painted approximation of lozenge on the fuselage, so easy paint schemes are rare beasts unfortunately.

[Edit] Make that "almost always" - I forgot that the first few produced in summer 1917 predated lozenge pattern wings, but it was only a small number unfortunately.
    Last edited by Dom S; 04-09-2016 at 08:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Jasta 7 only ever had two Fokker Dr.Is, both Jacobs' personal mounts. (One was repainted, so there's a third scheme.) Googling Josef Jacobs Fokker Dr.I will find them in short order.

Halberstadt CL.IIs are trickier, as they were always lozenge camouflaged on the wings, and most of the time had a painted approximation of lozenge on the fuselage, so easy paint schemes are rare beasts unfortunately.
    Oh dear, does that mean my sclasta of 6 CL in yellow with the red stripes are wrong
    Oh well I like them

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Probably, but probably not entirely.... Nieman and Kolodzic's (sp) machine is the only one photographed in that scheme as far as I know, but there seems to be a consensus that all of Schlasta 21 adopted the red and yellow stripes (or whatever colours they were - the red and yellow interpretation seems good to me) in August or September 1918. Given that schlastas tended to be pretty strict about having squadron markings rather than individual ones like the Jastas this certainly makes sense. It's very likely this was fuselage only though, with the wings left in lozenge pattern fabric, not repainted.

(Niemann's machine was an oddity, as it was one of a small number of very early production machines supplied with doped wings, not lozenge pattern, having been built over a year before the red and yellow colour scheme. Its squadron mates were almost certainly all newer machines with lozenge wings - an aircraft over a year old in a front line squadron was a rare beast indeed.)
    Last edited by Dom S; 04-09-2016 at 08:04.

Thanks Dom, looks like Ill be buying some lozenge decals then

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I wouldn't sweat it - in the absence of photos it's best guess rather than definitely the case, and they're a nice different look at least.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Having just got in I've dug out my copy of Schlachtflieger to see if it has anything to say, and unfortunately there's no reference or citation for it, but they say all-yellow wings and wheel covers for the unit, not just Niemann's machine. Must admit I have more than a few misgivings there, but if it was good enough for Dan-San Abbott, and lets us get away with a lozenge-free squadron, well....

So there's an option for you Okyaa - same scheme as the Ares model, with tail numbers from 1 to 6:

http://www.aresgames.eu/wp/wp-conten...ry-WGF202C.jpg

As an afterthought I flicked through all of the other colour profiles in there (many many many, including maybe 30 or so Halberstadts) looking for further lozenge-free Halberstadt CL.IIs, and came up with absolutely none whatsoever, so if you want an easy (or easyish - I'm not mad keen on painting stripes....) option, that's it....
    Last edited by Dom S; 04-09-2016 at 16:36.

Here is a photo of my hand painted CL.II. Skytrex model.
    Name:  <acronym title=WoW Airfleet 010.jpg Views: 0 Size: 47.5 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />Name:  <acronym title=WoW Airfleet 010.jpg Views: 0 Size: 47.5 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Or perhaps not. Doesn't seem to want to show itself!

Have a look at the link here for another option Adrian ... the Red and Black attack !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

No evidence for that one as far as I know - everyone cites the same plastic kit as the only "source" for it unfortunately.

OkYaa

Hi All,

Thank you for the suggestions.

Any suggestions on how to paint the "stipey" cammo that seems to appear on lots of the Triplanes like this one: http://www.lonewulffe.com/wp-content...limke_port.jpg

Thanks

OK

Windsock Datafile #27 might be helpful if you can find a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    No evidence for that one as far as I know - everyone cites the same plastic kit as the only "source" for it unfortunately.
    Other than the one quoted from the Windsock file 27 (p.36) at post #24 in that linked thread there probably isn't any but the suggestion it was Gottfried Ehmann & pilot Friedrich Huffzky's bird was good enough for me. They're pictured p25.
    Last edited by flash; 04-10-2016 at 10:32.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Squadron/Jasta, colours WW1!
    By Sparky in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-29-2016, 23:34
  2. Fleet Air Arm colours
    By Jager in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 01:57
  3. Newbury - Colours 10/11 Sep
    By Shiraz68 in forum Officer's Club