Ares Games
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Late War Campaign

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Tried to email you a draft. If not received, please let me know best way to forward.
    Was there anything specific you wanted to run by me Bob ? I don't vet scenarios normally unless you want feedback on an idea - it's publish and be damned normally - PM me first if you do want something though - and if it's done in images you will be damned of course !

"He is wise who watches"

I would really like it if the mission could be posted Friday night instead of Saturday.

SWMBO will be away and it would give me a good chance to get it played, andI will be out of town again for two weeks later in the month.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I would really like it if the mission could be posted Friday night instead of Saturday.

SWMBO will be away and it would give me a good chance to get it played, andI will be out of town again for two weeks later in the month.
    Is that permissible? I will be somewhere between Illinois and Colorado, but if the hotel has wifi, i can post....

But be advised, at least as far as I can tell, this is Not Like Other Missions.....

Thumbs up

Is that permissible? I will be somewhere between Illinois and Colorado, but if the hotel has wifi, i can post....

But be advised, at least as far as I can tell, this is Not Like Other Missions.....
    My appetite is whetted!

Is that permissible? .....
    It is !

"He is wise who watches"

Now I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It is !
    Ok. Friday, but it will be late Friday.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Mission like no other? Hmmm. Are we going to land the planes in the Alps and have a snowball fight on skis, instead of an aerial shoot out?

Ok. Friday, but it will be late Friday.
    Thanks, Bob.
    Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us.
    Your last one was a humdinger.

I was going to ask who's next in the chair then realised it's me !
    I now have something in the works

"He is wise who watches"

I now have something in the works
    Is that the only clue we get ?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

It could possibly be the night witches on broom sticks returning from their All Hallow Eve celebration.
    Or it could be another Turkey shoot, it will be the start of November.
    Whatever it is Dave will get us where he wants us.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    Is that the only clue we get ?
    Dust off your Harry Tates and brace yourselves !

"He is wise who watches"

Aaaah that's more like it Lt Bob Catesby et al are about to blow up the houses of some town in France
    Dusting commenced Uncle!

Oooooooooooooooo Missus

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thumbs up

Oh goodie I might get to fly both at the same time!

I am suddenly glad i have two. Of course at my current rate it will be the new year before i catch up.....

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Oh goodie I might get to fly both at the same time!
    That you will. At least once.

"He is wise who watches"

Default Forum Damage !

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Sorry everyone, I think this last batabase error lost the threads/posts from late Oct and all of Nov.
    Bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I would say it is semi stable at this point. If I was working on a very long post, I would save a copy locally. I would also not upload a lot of images right now. Adding some to illustrate a post is fine, but don't add 20+ unless you are okay with possibly having to add them all again.
    I will re-post the BRF for mission 17 in due course but will hang fire on re posting my ARR again until things stabilise a bit more. Those who've lost recent posts / threads may want to do the same.
    Last edited by flash; 11-19-2017 at 09:11.

"He is wise who watches"

I'll wait a bit before posting missions 16 & 17. Hope all our woes are over and life on the Aerodrome can go back to normal.

Ah we are back in the room again , but for how long

Still working on my Hell Over Hamel AAR - hope to have it finished today.
    I don't mind being a guinea pig for picture posting because the way I do mine will make it easy to repost if I have to.

P.S. It's great to be back - I was going through site withdrawal for the past week! Certainly glad that I had printed off the mission brief ahead of time

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Glad to be back, now I don't have to use Sails of Glory to cure my AAR withdrawal.

Oh yeah, I'm Bacardi Ron on Sails.

Hi team glad to see the site back up and running. I have been working 1000+ klicks from home base this past five weeks hence my being out of contact. I have had my secondment extended until mid December so no missions for me until Christmas. I look forward to getting back into the cockpit and out over the trenches.

Thought you were busy Carl, good to hear from you.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Glad to be back, now I don't have to use Sails of Glory to cure my AAR withdrawal.

Oh yeah, I'm Bacardi Ron on Sails.
    That explains a lot then Dale.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hello all. A good feeling being back Good to hear the gang chattering away again! Lots of catching up to do over the next few days then. Lets hope things are back to something akin to normal again.
    Thought you were busy Carl, good to hear from you.
    Likewise

Default Peace at Christmas !

Christmas is soon upon us, I'd like to thank you all for another entertaining year of solo gaming, it's been truly outstanding.
    As usual - no scenario for December but feel free to catch up and post some AAR if you'd like to, otherwise enjoy your leave with your family, have a wonderful Christmas and I'll see you over the trenches in the new year.
    All the best, Dave, Uncle, Onkel & Zio !

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Many Thanks Dave & best of Christmas wishes to you & your Family.
    Mate we all owe you a huge debt of gratitude because without your dedication, time & input we would HAVE no WW1 Solo Campaign.

I am sure all participating Pilots will raise a glass or two in acknowledgement.

I would like to add my thanks for all the work that you and Uncle have put in over the year Dave.
    have a very peaceful Christmas.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks again Dave for letting me be a part of this enjoyable adventure.
    Thank you as well for taking the time to coordinate, correct, and answer any question and problem we might have during our gaming.
    Without you doing what you do this would not be possible.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Thanks chaps, you're all too kind

"He is wise who watches"

Late to the party here (and Baz seems to have emptied the bar!)

Let me add my wishes for a great Christmas and New Year celebrations with family and friends.
    As others have said, we owe a great deal of thanks to you, Dave, for your efforts (and patience) to keep this saga of the air campaign of the Western Front (and Italy, too) going.

It has been an interesting 2-1/2 years for me - much longer for some of you - and I wonder what will fill the void once November 1918 has passed?

Ahhh! I found one stray glass!
    Cheers!

Well Pete we can always continue the war in a "what if"campaign. A chance to use all those late German and RAF model fighters

Thanks Dave and all for another year of exciting scenarios and stories. I wish for a wonderful set of holidays for you all, with lots of new planes and painting to bring you joy and terror to your foes.

I should have BE17 final draft soon to catch up, then its time to rest up and get ready for the home stretch!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ******************Snipped************************************

It has been an interesting 2-1/2 years for me - much longer for some of you - and I wonder what will fill the void once November 1918 has passed?

Ahhh! I found one stray glass!
    Cheers!
    Don't fret too much Pete. Dave & I have been talking & there just might be the chance to start all over again from before Bloody April!
    You know Moranes, BE 2, Early German 2 seaters & the dreaded Eindekker.

What do you think of that idea?

I for one am all for it. Quite a few more early war planes I'd live to do up and fly.

Better get my BE.2Cs and Fe.2Bs painted up

Yea say I. Hoping to get back to Bentangles with a few new pilots in those early aircraft that never got a real airing coming out so late.
    Rob.

Well as the cat is out of the bag - I was thinking of playing shorter campaigns - eg something like 12 games in all, 4 games per campaign month (ie 1 per week) covering a 3 month period or the war. That will give us a year of intense gaming of a given period so as to give all your toys a proper outing.

"He is wise who watches"

Sounds good.

I am trying to set up a solo-ish campaign using something like a fictional mixed RFC squadron [mixed squadrons did exist to some extent, though often on subsidiary fronts and for shorter periods of time] and a Jasta with co-located FFA.

Regards

Edward

Should work OK Edward, we won't get to the end of this campaign until September next year so still a way to go yet before we get into something new. We're at July 1918 just now, so things are getting interesting. If you'd like to join in let me know, the next mission is posted January.

"He is wise who watches"

This sounds good to me.
    If we were not going to try another campaign I was thinking of doing something similar myself, with missions closer together than our last (improved in my view) system of two flights a game month rather than one.

I was going to take into account damage repair etc., similar to Carl's method in his 1940 campaign, making attrition more of a factor.

Since we will be starting with new pilots, I also wonder should we kick around some slight changes to the C&W / E&E system?
    In a short series we won't be quite as 'attached' to our squadron members and their surviveability.

I would also like to try drawing for the opponents each mission instead of having 'regulars' for each of us.
    I think that would be less work for you, Dave, as well. Perhaps just an indication of rookie/regular/veteran/ace opponents.

Thumbs up

Well as the cat is out of the bag - I was thinking of playing shorter campaigns - eg something like 12 games in all, 4 games per campaign month (ie 1 per week) covering a 3 month period or the war. That will give us a year of intense gaming of a given period so as to give all your toys a proper outing.
    Sounds like "my cup of tea" Dave.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

The current proposal does sound interesting. My only problem will be the early war planes such as the BE2C and Fe2Bs, I do have a couple of Eindeckers though.

I've been thinking about a campaign in WWII starting about 1935 and going forward, possibly to include the Spanish Civil War and the Sino-Japanese conflict. A couple of changes would need to be made to the C&W AND E&E results. Other than that keep the rules the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Don't fret too much Pete. Dave & I have been talking & there just might be the chance to start all over again from before Bloody April!
    You know Moranes, BE 2, Early German 2 seaters & the dreaded Eindekker.

What do you think of that idea?
    As one of the "good intentions" crew... I love the sound of these. Who knows... maybe I could actually finish a solo campaign!

Should work OK Edward, we won't get to the end of this campaign until September next year so still a way to go yet before we get into something new. We're at July 1918 just now, so things are getting interesting. If you'd like to join in let me know, the next mission is posted January.
    I'd like to give the To the Bitter End a go in January if you've got space.

I'm not massively equipped with late war planes. As regards Germans I have a couple of D.VII, a couple of Simens-Schuckert, a Fokker E.V, a Hannover CL III (but quite a lot of 1917 planes that carried on such as D.Va). For Entente I've got 3 Camels, a Snipe, a couple of Bristols, a couple of DH-4, an RE-8 plus four French SPAD XIII.

Regards

Edward

Good Day all, long time no chat - I see a lot has happened in the meantime Firstly my silence for the last couple of weeks - My sister in law took a dive to the floor, literally, having collapsed from a burst aneurysm in her neck She was really lucky to survive and ended up on the operating table for seven hours. She came out ok with a replaced artery from neck to heart and is doing ok ish right now. Our fingers and other appendages are all crossed for her. Anyway, needless to say, Yon and I dashed off to Rotterdam to be with her, returning a few days ago, just in time to avoid the snows but with masses to catch up with.
    So, yes, I'll add my heartfelt thanks to Uncle for running this show so brilliantly (yep, still a few left) and to all my fellow conspirators for taking part - it has brought me many happy hours - long may that continue. Happy Xmas to one and all and all the best for the coming new year.
    Greetings to Edward I'll assume that Uncle will give you your flying licence and put you straight into mission 18. More of that below Welcome to the show!
    Re the "cat" and the "bag" - that sounds great - not really had time to digest the proposed changes but you guys are more than capable of deciding on them and I am more than happy to adopt whatever I am told to BE2cs and FE2bs with a horde of Eindekkers to mow them down - sounds just the job Looking forward to it even though it is months away. Means I'll have to delay my flirtation with WW2 a bit longer

Now the important bit - Mission 18. Yes it is all ready to post - whenever you want it. Officially it is due on January first - a minute past midnight "Greenwich meantime". But so long as everyone agrees, particularly Uncle, I shall be happy to post it any time between now and then (except Xmas Day of course ). I give, below, advanced warning of the bits and pieces you'll need and as Edward has kindly told me what aircraft he has available, I'll say right now, you have enough However, you will need a balloon!!! OK so you haven't got one - nil desperandum, try this instead https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/do...do=file&id=519 or the one below it. It is a card for a balloon which will do just as well as a model. The link is to our "Files" section, under "WW1" and then to "Custom Cards". Third one down is "Ground Targets". A balloon will be found there.
    What else?:
    Equipment: You will need -
    1 - Two mats. 2 - Three cards with “red dot” centres, representing pontoon bridges. 3 - Two AA Gun cards. 4 - One balloon. 5 - Three Entente scouts. 6 - Three Central Powers scouts. 7 - One “special” deck of 24 damage cards (see below) plus the usual accessories.

Re the special damage deck: If you are lucky enough to possess two or more “A” damage decks, this should pose no problems. If you only have the one “A” damage deck then be prepared to make up a deck from any other source, using your ingenuity (e.g. From a normal 52 card deck take - Two aces - “fire”, six picture cards - “smoke” and any sixteen of numbers 2 to 10 - worth “0” with, for example, four “2”s being “jam” cards). The important thing to remember is that damage values will mean nothing in this context. It is only necessary to be able to distinguish between “0” (some with gun jam), smoke and fire.

Just remember, none of this Mission is written on tablets of stone. Any variation on a theme is fine by me. The Mission is yours to have fun with although hopefully, also in historical context. Enjoy, whatever equipment you use

Gotta go now - catch up again later,

Mike

Glad to hear your sister in law is on the mend mate - send our best wishes to her and to the family.
    Keep mission 18 under wraps until new years eve at least please or we'll have nothing to do in January and it'll allow those who want to to play catch up.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the advance warning Mike. I agree that you should wait until local time on the first to debut your mission, to give some of the other guys to catch up. Plus. I'm getting out my WGS planes and will be putting some lesser used ones through their paces.
    Sorry to hear about your sister in law and am glad she is recovering.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A little gem! Look before it's too late...
    By HTRAINo in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 14:15
  2. I know this is late...
    By fast.git in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 13:27
  3. Just too late for the war seaplane
    By Jager in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 09:34