Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Gimbal Installation Method (Detail)

Default My Gimbal Installation Method (Detail)

This is the detailed way I installed the gimbals I ordered from Aerodrome Accessories:

Basic tools needed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tools.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	240914

The tools are:
    A pair of vice grips, or a clamp of some kind that is used to hold the pegs while cutting.
    A craft saw or saw with a very fine tooth to it. (can be found at most hobby/game stores)
    Some Gel Super Glue (Super glue that is thicker than normal super glue can be found at most hobby/game stores).
    And a drill of some kind may be needed (not pictured).

This is a simple plan of how it will work:

Name:	Gimbal Plan.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	240915

First, clamp the peg with the "peg" side out like so: (Its okay to cut with extra plastic on the peg part, because you will sand it flat later)

Name:	Clamp Peg.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	240916

Then slowly and gently saw the end off of the peg:

Name:	Cut peg 1 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	240946

Like so: (Make sure when you cut that when the end of the peg is cut off, it falls somewhere you can find it. Like a bowl or container.)

Name:	Peg Cut - Copy.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	240947

Next slide the cut peg into another peg, so you can hold it better:

Name:	Peg Holder - Copy.JPG 
Views:	178 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	240948

Then Sand it down so it is smooth on the cut part:

Name:	Sanding Peg - Copy.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	240949

Re-clamp the peg you cut the "peg" part off earlier so that the "hole" side is out:

Name:	Reverse Peg - Copy.JPG 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	240950

Then cut the peg just below the bottom of the hole:

Name:	Cut Hole - Copy.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	240951

It will look like this when cut:

Name:	Hole Cut - Copy.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	240968

The bottom of the peg hole will be solid:

Name:	Hole End - Copy.JPG 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	240953

You need to have the hole go all the way through so that the ball will have more of a surface to glue to. I like to have the peg hole to be as deep as it originally was, so I drill out the remaining plastic (use a hand drill, or an electric drill if you like to live dangerously). If you do not want to drill, then just sand off the bottom until the hole is exposed:

Name:	Drill.jpg 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	240925

The hole going through:

Name:	Hole.jpg 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	240926

Now attach the hole to the bottom of a spare peg and sand flat to make sure the ball barring will have the most area to glue to:

Name:	Sand Hole.jpg 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	240927

You should end up with something like this:

Name:	Ready for glue - Copy.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	240955

Now you are ready to start gluing. Its best to set up a stand with a couple of pegs to hold your peg end:

Name:	Stand.jpg 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	240929

Put a drop of glue on the peg (it is thick so it will blob up a little instead of running off the side of the top of the peg).
    If you do not think you have a steady enough hand to apply the right amount of glue straight from the bottle, then put
    a drop onto a piece of scrap plastic, glass, or metal, and then use a toothpick to apply it to the top of the peg,

Name:	Drop - Copy.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	240954

Then simply put the ring magnet on the peg. If your fingers are bigger than mine, just add several ring magnets together to make a stick of ring magnets to make it easier to hold:

Name:	Apply - Copy.JPG 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	240957

And let it dry for a few minutes:

Name:	Done - Copy.JPG 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	240956

Add the ball barring to the ring magnet:

Name:	After Dry - Copy.JPG 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	240958

Then put glue on the bottom of the hole part of the peg you cut earlier. make sure you get the glue onto the inner rim of the hole:

Name:	Glue Hole - Copy.JPG 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	240959

Then place the peg onto the ball barring (do not keep pressure on it, that will just make the bond weaker). The thick glue should fill any gaps and make a strong bond:

Name:	Apply to ball - Copy.JPG 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	240960

And this is what it will look like when done:

Name:	Gimbal Complete - Copy.JPG 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	240961

The gimbals peg should be the same size as a normal peg:

Name:	Gimbal Plan Done.jpg 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	240936

If you make several gimbals pegs, you can mix and match to make them as close to the size of a normal peg as possible:

Name:	Sizing - Copy.JPG 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	240962

Name:	Sizing.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	240937

Name:	On Stand.jpg 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	240938

Name:	Compare.jpg 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	240939

Name:	Angle2.jpg 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	240940

Name:	Angle1.jpg 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	240941

Name:	Scene.jpg 
Size:	164.5 KB 
ID:	240942

Name:	Eight1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	240943

Name:	Eight2.jpg 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	240944

Name:	2Seater.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	240945

Have fun and enjoy,
    Bryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cut peg.JPG   Peg Cut.jpg   Peg Holder.JPG   Sanding Peg.JPG   Reverse Peg.JPG  

Cut Hole.jpg   Hole Cut.jpg   Hole End.JPG   Ready for glue.JPG   Drop.JPG  

Apply.jpg   After Dry.JPG   Done.JPG   Apply to ball.JPG   Gimbal Complete.JPG  

Last edited by BryanR; 02-15-2018 at 06:09.

Once again, outstanding idea and execution. Thanks for adding this step-by-step and the pictures for those of us less modeling inclined.

Cheers!

A very concise explaination Brian. You could show my students a thing or two about illustrating a sequence of events. Thanks for that.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The step by step instructions are great. THANK YOU very much.

Very well done, KUDOS!

Smile

Thanks Bryan, I sense a project in my near future.

A very good visual explanation. A really great job

Attilio

I just assembled 15 of these. Thanks again. Very well done and very much appreciated!!!

A most excellent tutorial.
    Even I could follow it.

Groovy, thank you. Just got to wait for the gimbals to be delivered now :-)

Thanks for showing us this method - I'm going to try it as soon as my gimbals arrive!

Do you rough up the ball with a file before you glue it? Would that help it hold better?

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Thanks for showing us this method - I'm going to try it as soon as my gimbals arrive!

Do you rough up the ball with a file before you glue it? Would that help it hold better?
    I have found that it gives better friction between the ball and the magnet as well.

Rob.

I got the e-mail today that my gimbals and bearings were being shipped and was wondering how I was going to install them... Now I know exactly how!

Hmmmm now I am wondering who I am going to get to take me to buy a couple of tools...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I have found that it gives better friction between the ball and the magnet as well.

Rob.
    I have not "roughed" up the ball, and I have had no problems with the gimbals coming apart because the glue would not hold. But it certainly does sound like a good idea. And the added friction does sound like it would help with some of the heavier two seaters when moving the planes around.

Anyone know of good ways of roughing up the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanR View Post
    I just rubbed mine on a sheet of glasspaper held in its magnet.
    Rob

I've been following this thread and enjoying the excellence of your presentation. I did think of one thing that might work, but I have never seen one of these in person, so obviously it may not work. A regular drill bit has an angle so it can enter wood, if you used one just hand held, would it cut a slight dish into the end of one of the pegs, thereby giving you a sunken surface for the ball bearing to mount? This way you would glue the magnet to the bottom of the airplane, giving it more surface area too.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse47 View Post
    I've been following this thread and enjoying the excellence of your presentation. I did think of one thing that might work, but I have never seen one of these in person, so obviously it may not work. A regular drill bit has an angle so it can enter wood, if you used one just hand held, would it cut a slight dish into the end of one of the pegs, thereby giving you a sunken surface for the ball bearing to mount? This way you would glue the magnet to the bottom of the airplane, giving it more surface area too.
    It works a treat. I've been using a countersink drill on my lathe for that, but have now ground a drill specially to the ball profile. If you are at all handy with grinding drills offhand you should be able to accomplish this quite easily.
    Rob.

These instructions are great! Thanks for posting them.

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions! I might try some of these later on this year. The best part is that you don't "mess" with the planes themselves. great idea...

These are very useful and very well explained instructions!

I've done several of these, and they came out great!

I had only one problem while gluing (I used the same Zap-a-Gap Medium CA+ as above). When applying the glue to the part that you glue to the ball, I must have squeezed the bottle a little to hard - too much glue came out and wicked right up the hole. That ruined that peg.

After that I sqeezed a drop of glue onto a paper plate, and applied it with a toothpick. That worked fine.

Thanks for showing us this method!

Default from pa

nice work!!!! good pic. by pic.

Great tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to do it as I'm now a lot more confident in tackling the one that Aled gave me to try!

I have just added one of these to a SE5a following your guide. Worked great thanks

too much glue came out and wicked right up the hole. That ruined that peg.
    I managed to fill in the peg hole on some too - drilled the glue out, and managed to make the hole a bit too big (small drill bit, just too hot!).

What's this 'sticky wax' I've heard of to help pegs stick together, and what's its name/availability in the UK?

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FerretDave View Post
    I managed to fill in the peg hole on some too - drilled the glue out, and managed to make the hole a bit too big (small drill bit, just too hot!).

What's this 'sticky wax' I've heard of to help pegs stick together, and what's its name/availability in the UK?

Cheers
    Dave
    Dave that was this thread.

I was planning on locating it here in town. Assuming I can, I would be willing to arrange to send a bottle your way, if it can't be found in the UK.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Dave that was this thread.

I was planning on locating it here in town. Assuming I can, I would be willing to arrange to send a bottle your way, if it can't be found in the UK.
    Thanks, I'm sure someone had mentioned 'sticky wax' too, but I'll see if I can pick up some of this "Aleen's TACK-IT Over & Over". I'll be in touch if I cant find it, thanks for the offer!
    Cheers
    D

Quote Originally Posted by FerretDave View Post
    Thanks, I'm sure someone had mentioned 'sticky wax' too, but I'll see if I can pick up some of this "Aleen's TACK-IT Over & Over". I'll be in touch if I cant find it, thanks for the offer!
    Cheers
    D

NP... just let me know... If I can't find it here in town, I did find quite a few web vendors that sell it!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I just now found this post.

Super job!

Well done! I think your idea of shortening the peg that attaches to the Aircraft will make it work much better as there will not be as much leverage on the Magnet.

Lord Neep

Wow, I had to sign up for this forum just so I could give the OP big ups for such an invaluable thread. I just started my collection, and didn't want to drill holes in my new minis. My craft saw, thick glue, and gimbals all came in on the same day, and I am the proud owner of minis that can bank and move now. Thank you, Bryan!

Excellent Tutorial!
    The problem is to find the gimballs here in Portugal...

BryanR, I'm just getting ready to build 10 gimbals, I new there was a 'How To' post on this subject. You make it look very easy. I'm sure this will be a great help.
    Thanks for the tutorial.

Fabric Flyer

Thank you for this tutorial.

You can buy gimbals from the Aerodrome Accessories on this site, Joaquim.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanR View Post
    I have not "roughed" up the ball, and I have had no problems with the gimbals coming apart because the glue would not hold. But it certainly does sound like a good idea. And the added friction does sound like it would help with some of the heavier two seaters when moving the planes around.

Bryan, I'm just now finishing up 10 gimbals and used your system. My first one dried and finished, put on a WoW plane and the ball kept slipping and thinking the metal planes I've made will never hold. Something was said about roughing up the ball w/ a file.
    My files didn't touch the smooth surface of the ball. I thought of using my Gremel type drill but using some attachments w/ grinding stones. By clamping or holding the ball w/ a tool, I grinded little scuffs all over, then tried it and it held fine. I think I will attach the ball to the bottom of the heavier metal planes and then scuff them up.I guess it would be good to have the ball scuffed up for the gluing side too.
    Thanks for the great step by step instructions.

Fabric Flyer

I usually just rough them up with a medium coarse slipstone. It does seem to do the trick.
    Rob.

I find it much easier to use the erasure method my self.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I find it much easier to use the erasure method my self.
    That may need a bit of explaining if you would be so kind Herr Oberst.
    Rob.

I am now going to order enough gimbols for my entire 45 plane WW1 collection. And they do spare pegs too.....what we've been asking for for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    That may need a bit of explaining if you would be so kind Herr Oberst.
    Rob.
    Sorry Rob, missed this one.

Kneed some of that erasure up so that it is pliable and place a tiny piece of it down into the ring magnet. Use the bearing on the plane/peg to work it down in there, removing any excess that sticks to the ball. You should end up with a small depression of eraser below the edges of the magnet. This small amount of the erasure has just enough grip on the bearing to keep the planes stationary. If you have mounted your Gimbals between two pegs, and not directly at the planes, I'm not sure how well it will work for you.

If you need a source for the erasure, just let me know, I have a few small ones on hand

Thanks for the info chief. Before I avail myself of your kind offer, I'm going to try a spot of your peg glue and see how that works.
    Rob.

I've found that putting super glue on the ball helps stop the slippage

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Yep, that's an easy way to "rough up" the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I should think it does Dave. I should think it does.
    Rob.

Very Nice, I was wondering how those thingys worked!

I'm hoping to try this on some pegs. I love the gimbal idea. Also, gotta wait for more to be in stock.

They'll be back in stock next week LingSter. The holidays interrupted my resupply.

Anyway to get these pictures back up or does some have them duplicated elsewhere? This site has great info but boy is it awkward to navigate at times and so many missing pictures (why is this?).

We were hacked about three or four years or so ago Ben, and lots of pictures were deleted.
    Rob.

Hi Ben, lots of pics went into the ether a few years ago when the site was hacked.
    Many have been replaced over time but not all, some members have left or gone elsewhere.
    This is why

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Gimbal Mounts
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 04-09-2023, 18:32
  2. My Gimbal Installation Method
    By BryanR in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-16-2018, 08:22
  3. Gimbal Mounts