Ares Games

Thread: Bomb damage?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Bomb damage?

Ok, I am missing something. I've been reading through the books, but can't find anything that tells you how much damage bombs do. I know you can drop a half or full load, but there's nothing that I can find that says how much damage they do when they hit. There is a reference to half damage if the bomb card doesn't cover the target center dot, but I can't find the amount of damage done. Has anyone found this?

Thanks in advance
    Nobby

Some people use the C damage deck. Our league uses a special variation of the A damage deck, we draw one card for each bomb dropped. Two-seaters can carry up to 9 bombs. They can be dropped in clusters of 3 or individulaly. Single seaters can carry up to 3 bombs.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Ok, I can see where that would work

Thanks very much
    Nobby

We have always played that one bomb causes the target to loose one point of damage. Thus three cluster on target inflicts 3 damage points or 1.5 for a near miss. I like the three card draw idea. Should give a better hit rate. How do you handle near misses?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    We have always played that one bomb causes the target to loose one point of damage. Thus three cluster on target inflicts 3 damage points or 1.5 for a near miss. I like the three card draw idea. Should give a better hit rate. How do you handle near misses?
    Rob.
    I can answer that one...We both belong to the same league...If the bomb card covers the red target dot on the target card, the target takes the full damage of the cards including Explosion, which destroys the target, or fire which has the same effect as it does on the aircraft in the game. If the bomb card only touches the target card but not the target dot, the target only takes half of the damage totals from the damage cards and the special effects do not count.

Huh? What? Scott & I always played 1 bomb card kills target, and a near miss causes 1/2 damage, no matter how many bombs are dropped. I gotta make some changes.

Hunter

We play the same way as Charlie, because it is a definite black and white rule and simple. Or in Artillery terms the target is nuteralised!

Does a bomb really hit only the same as machine gun fire from long range?

In reality no, but we decided to use the A cards for the miss factor. You could cause a bomb to pull more cards if you wish. However targeting being what it was in the early days of air combat, we felt it was fair. Besides it's fun to go back and finish it off with straffing attacks.

I always played that if you hit the target, the bombs destroyed the target. Generally speaking, that's pretty much the way it went down with bombers. Drop bomb. Bomb explodes on impact. If bomb lands on target, target is destroyed. I don't think that damage decks should be used with bombing. It's not like bullets that may or may not hit something vital. You're talking about a couple hundred pounds of explosives (or more). If you hit the target, it's destroyed. Period. If you near miss, the target is damaged.

Just my take on it.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    I always played that if you hit the target, the bombs destroyed the target. Generally speaking, that's pretty much the way it went down with bombers. Drop bomb. Bomb explodes on impact. If bomb lands on target, target is destroyed. I don't think that damage decks should be used with bombing. It's not like bullets that may or may not hit something vital. You're talking about a couple hundred pounds of explosives (or more). If you hit the target, it's destroyed. Period. If you near miss, the target is damaged.

Just my take on it.

Scott
    Depends on the target. The way we play it cards have hit points on the ones that take more damage. We work to those. Thus a heavy emplaced gun has 5 hit points. An army truck goes down if hit at all. A train one car per bomb. etc.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Hmmm, I still like the C card variant, one for single and three for cluster. We are having a game tonight, I'll give it a whirl

For non-altitude-rules games we require 2-seater bomb-drops (the center-post or red-dot on the mini/card at the end of the "Straight") to be 1/4 range stick from the center of the target. If this is requirement is achieved the target is destroyed. The pilot must declare the bomb-drop at the start of the Turn in which the "Straight" manoeuvre is planned. If the post/dot is more than 1/4 range stick away from the center of the target the bombs miss the target completely. A 2-seater gets only two bomb-drops/chances. Our single-seat fighters can not carry/drop bombs. 1/4 range-stick is quite difficult to achieve if your 2-seaters are under attack; and to make it more challenging we play that if the bombing aircraft is fired-at during its "straight" it may not drop its bombs because the bomb dropping person would be pre-occupied with trying to stay alive.

For the more complex altitude-rules games we agree in advance on the damage points of a single bomb (usually 3 pts); our 2-seaters carry 4 bombs; we allow the grouping of bombs into clusters as detailed in the official rules. We then use the official bomb-dropping rules. At 3 pts of damage, a single bomb dropped on-target would neutralize/destroy an un-emplaced (i.e. not sand-bagged or dug-in) AA MG or AA Gun (3 strength pts) but it would not destroy or neutralize an emplaced MG or Gun (5 strength pts). We give an aircraft hangar a strength of 10. So far we have not played a "bomb-the-train" scenario, but we would agree on the strength points of the train cars in advance.

HOWEVER, so far we rarely play using altitude rules; the simpler game is enough for most of us, most of the time. Our family gaming group has only been playing for half a year (4 X 3 hr gaming sessions) and the "keeners" have only played a few more times including just 3 altitude games. I suspect that we will stick with the simpler non-altitude games for this season except for a few "keener" games on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by green dragon View Post
    Hmmm, I still like the C card variant, one for single and three for cluster. We are having a game tonight, I'll give it a whirl
    That's pretty much how I've played it, as the random numbers on the cards allow for miss, near miss and duds. For larger bombs use cthe 'D' deck

Similar Missions

1. Damage decks
    By waster1 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2010, 03:46
  2. Anyway to get new damage decks?
    By Piteas in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2010, 19:08
  3. Damage order
    By NuclearLunchbox in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 15