Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 12: New Rides

Default Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 12: New Rides

February 23, 1916

"You don't seem too happy about your new plane, Joachim..." "I am, Leonhard. Very happy and moved..." "But you look sad. Or worried. Well, you'll offend your mechanics if you keep that face... They spent a lot of their free time painting your new bird..." "Oh no! They know I'm grateful! I already thanked them. I offered each one of them a bottle of the schnapps my father sent me..." "I see... Good. So what is it?" "You and me... We both got these new Halberstadts... But my men will still have to fly the old Eindeckers until more come to the Staffel..." "Ah! That is what´s worrying you! The same old you again!" "Don't laugh Leonhard!" "Of course not! I won't laugh. I'll fly with you to test these new birds! Like in the old times! We'll save your worries for a day!" "Yes, my friend. That would be fine."

Faster and sturdier than the Eindeckers. Good! I looked at the painted plane of Joachim and it filled me with pride. Pride for the man that inspires such devotion and pride for the men that work so much to keep us flying.

I told Joachim that today he would be the leader and I would be his wingman.

He looks at me in his Black and White plane and points at 3 dots in the horizon in front of us.

Again the new British planes. The pusher and the two-seaters that the British now use as scouts. They're dangerous.

I should have followed Joachim, but I turned sharply left. Old habits die hard.

He turned to follow me and in his face I saw an ironic smile. I shrugged back at him. He knows how hard it is not to lead...

And then we´re close enough to fire.

The Brit was accurate with his firing, but then I saw the amazing skill in soaking damage that my friend has.

And while rolling with the punches he fired a perfect stream of bullets that hit the cockpit. That pilot must certainly be wounded.

And then we mingle with each other in a macabre winged ballet.

The Pusher targeted Joachim, but failed to connect and his burst stopped soon.

I hit the second two-seater. I must have hit the engine as a stream of smoke erupted from it.

I darted near the pusher while Joachim made a very dangerous immelmann near the enemy planes. Reckless!

Even amidst the smoke, the gunner was able to hit me.

The gunner of the first two-seater wasn't expecting Joachim's maneuver and failed to connect at close range.

But the pusher - as I discovered later when we landed - wounded Joachim in his left arm. That was a close call!

Joachim fired carefully and scored against the two-seater. I was fed up with the bloody pusher.

As the British moved away I carefully executed an immelmann. Learn, my boy, learn!

Then with the pusher on my front I had time to fire a long stream of bullets that hit him on the spot.

Joachim was turning softly to his left. A problem?! I looked quickly right and then I saw why. The British was retreating...

I fired another stream of bullets and my guns jammed! These faulty weapons!!

I kept on his tail while I tried frantically to unjam my weapons. And looking quickly at Joachim I understood that he himself was having the same problem.

I looked around and I saw the second two seater moving against the tail of Joachim.

But he had to take care of himself as I had to take the pusher down. The pusher tried to get rid of me doing an immelmann.

And I followed suit while Joachim put the wounded two-seater in his crosshairs.

He connected again.

And I was again in the tail of the pusher.

The gunner fired courageously against Joachim.

But a stream of bullets sealed his fate.

The British bird went down with his wings broken.

I fired again at the rear of the pusher.

And he jinxed trying to escape my bullets. If only I could ask him to surrender...

But as long as he was flying my duty was to put him down.

And like a wounded bird down he went.

The last of them decided that retreating was the best part of valor.

Joachim tried to get him...

But I was really surprised when I understood that the two seater was faster than us...

We need engines like that in our scouts!!

Or we'll have a hard time getting our enemy... But at least these mounts are better than we had before... We just need more of them!

Another great AAR from The Master.

Lovely Blackbird you have

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Another great AAR from The Master.

Lovely Blackbird you have
    Dear Pete, you are too kind.
    Thank you so much for the REP.

Yet another Ace story line Quim.
    I am getting quite attached to your characters, for Huns that is.
    Two on three was a brave move to make.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yet another Ace story line Quim.
    I am getting quite attached to your characters, for Huns that is.
    Two on three was a brave move to make.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. You are too kind.
    2 machine guns against 5. But my pilots were aces, so it was pretty even.

LOOP

Another great AAR Quim
    You have dark, warweary tone in your stories. I like that a lot
    It makes the story more alive.
    Hope I can do something like this when I around to it

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Another great AAR Quim
    You have dark, warweary tone in your stories. I like that a lot
    It makes the story more alive.
    Hope I can do something like this when I around to it
    Thanks per-Gunnar, for your words and for the REP.
    You are very kind.

Outstanding stories

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Outstanding stories
    Thank you, Ken.
    You are too kind.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 11: Outclassed
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-24-2016, 04:25
  2. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 9: Nieuport 11