Ares Games

Thread: Some Misc Tables to ponder

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Default Some Misc Tables to ponder

I have been working on adapting some charts from another WWI game and wanted to share what I have so far with everyone else.

Forced Landings
    Shuffle one A Damage Deck and draw three cards and add all applicable modifiers. If the result, after modifiers, is more then the required number, this indicates that the aircraft has crashed. If more then on terrain type is present use the type that offers the least chance for successful landing.

Airfields 10; Clear 9; River/Railway/Marsh 7; Woods 6; Trench Line 5; Shell Holes 4; Buildings 3; Roads (as other terrain at +1).

Forced Landing Modifiers
    Pilot has a minor injury +1; Pilot has a major injury +3; Aircraft flown by Novice Pilot +1; Observer flying Aircraft (Dual Controls) +2; Co-Pilot flying aircraft (Multiple Engine Aircraft) +0; Aircraft is smoking +1; Aircraft is on fire +2; Aircraft is gliding +1.

Crash Results
    Shuffle one A Damage Deck and draw three cards and add all applicable modifiers. A result of 4 or less means the pilot/observer survives.

Unharmed 4; Minor Injury 5; Major Injury 6; Killed 7 or more

Crash Modifiers
    Crashing a Pusher aircraft +1; Aircraft was on fire +1; Crashed in Woods or Trench Line +1; Crashed in Shell Holes +2; Crashed in Buildings +3; Aircraft shot down at altitude 1-3 +2; Aircraft shot down at altitude 4-5 +3; Aircraft shot down at altitude 6 or higher +4.

Evading Results
    Shuffle one A Damage Deck and draw three cards and add all applicable modifiers for each crew member. If final result is 05 or less then that crew member managed to evade capture, otherwise possible captured or killed.

Use this table only if evading from enemy territory or no-man’s land. If captured, there is only one chance of being exchanged as a POW or escaping. Shuffle one A Damage Deck and draw three cards; if the cards total 12 or more then that crew member has been successfully exchanged or escaped.

Evaded 5 or less; Captured 6 - 9; Killed evading capture 10 or more

Evading Modifiers
    Minor Injury +1; Major Injury +3; Landed/Crashed 0-3 rulers from friendly trench line -1; Landed/Crashed 4-5 rulers from friendly trench line +0; Landed/Crashed 6 or more rulers from friendly trench line +1; Minor enemy attack in progress +1; Major enemy attack in progress +3; Minor friendly attack in progress -1; Major friendly attack in progress -3; Landed/Crashed on own side of trench lines -7; Landed/Crashed on enemy side of trench lines +5.

Injuries Results
    Each crew member can sustain three draws of ‘Crew Hit’ from damage cards. The first is a minor wound, the second is a major wound and the third kills the crew member.

Minor Injury: Shuffle one A Damage Deck and draw three cards, plus three for number of weeks out of service.

Major Injury: Shuffle one A Damage Deck and draw three cards, plus nine for number of weeks out of service.

These will make good house rules especially since you took the time to create the results using the cards from the game instead of dice like most of us do. Our group uses a dice system that we developed that simply tells us if a pilot survives the crash, and then if he makes it back to base. I like the story telling aspect of your charts.

Like this idea - like Charlie's group we have been using dice for surviving a crash-landing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

My apologies to all, but I forgot to mention the small fact of removing all the Zero cards and the Explosion card from the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse4261 View Post
    My apologies to all, but I forgot to mention the small fact of removing all the Zero cards and the Explosion card from the deck.
    Just add the old "draw again" rule to the list so you don't need any special prep to the deck. We have found that fiddling with the deck just screws up the randomness of it during play. My players HATE when I pull out some of the special cards to explain what they mean when teaching a new player the rules. No matter how well shuffled afterwords, the deck always seems to be especially deadly for the next 2 or 3 games.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    Just add the old "draw again" rule to the list so you don't need any special prep to the deck...(clip)
    This is a great idea and one that is very easy to implement. What I have done is scanned and copied my original A and B Damage Decks so I can print out as many as I need on card stock, so having an extra just for random draws is not a major issue for me. My original plan was to have one deck for every three A or B weapon systems of my minis.

Very nice addition to the "House Rules" category. I think many would be interested in hearing of any improvements/modifications that you make to these rules.

Our gaming season starts this Sunday (31 Oct); so now I've got to scramble to prepare a modified version of your rules (minor wording changes to conform to our local terminolgy) to present to the gaming group.

Thanks for sharing.