Ares Games

Thread: New photographs of the world's longest air vehicle

Default New photographs of the world's longest air vehicle

New photographs of Airlander 10, the world's longest air vehicle have been released. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-35836218

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_88823573_frontabove-3fins.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	191418

Smile

Impressive but can it be a commercial success

I keep thinking of the "Hindenberg!

Don't rain on my dreams! One day the whole world will be connected by large floating gas bags . . . well besides politicians that is. : ) Love this next gen of LTA very high tech dirigibles actually . . .

Mother nature may have something to say about this -- and I suspect that statement will be "Nope".

Nice. There are a lot of uses for LTAircraft other than advertising at sporting events.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Impressive but can it be a commercial success

I keep thinking of the "Hindenberg!
    If you read the article, Barry, you will see that it uses non-flammable helium and it can still fly with bullet holes in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    ... it uses non-flammable helium and it can still fly with bullet holes in it.
    That'll come in handy if it flies over L.A...

"He is wise who watches"

Airlander 10 made its maiden flight on Wednesday 17th August 2016.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-37111527

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2ewplnte6x9tk-vczmw51fyrevss8mi-large.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	204862

sorry guys, all I can say is..WHY? Are we going to start reproducing the Model T ford next?

Germany had a similar project with the CARGOLIFTER.

This will be more intersting with running out of fuel.

Maybe we'll* see "atomic" Zeppelins, once.

* not ourselfs - maybe our grand-grand-grandchilds.

How does this sausage fits into the Hindenburg?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1200px-Giant_Aircraft_Comparison_svg.jpg  
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 08-18-2016 at 21:33.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Remember that before transatlantic flight people would take a ship to cross the ocean. Now cruises are a big business. How about an airship ride cross country. A slow ride over parts of the US, Canada or parts of Europe ? Think how the countryside would look a few thousand feet up doing 100 MPH as opposed to 34000 ft doing 350 MPH.

My question is how Eco friendly is it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Interesting, I had never heard of this before. But I wonder aswell if this will have any commercial success. It says in the article that the Airlander can carry only 48 people at a time... In terms of passenger business I think planes are still the best way to go. An A380 can carry many more people, even though there's always the fuel, maintenance, etc etc but still... I don't know if it will make any success. I hope it will though! Because it looks very nice!
    Thanks

Nick

Version I'm hearing from the Aviation Week crowd is A380 grew too far and is becoming a white elephant... Emirates is already quietly looking to downsize a few, going back to the next notch down like 777X and its Airbus equivalent.

Just not paying for themselves between the round costs and the "luxury markup" not being there or demand on the premium options... similarly, Boeing is quietly looking to shut down 747 production--it may well be that the next two Air Force Ones are among the last of the jumbos. (Sorry, Inside Baseball there from sources inside the company I can't ID.)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Cargo potential alone makes it look good in my book, you only have to exceed 70 mphs here to beat a semi truck and then there is line of sight/as the bird flies efficiencies along with unloading and loading at sites on the route, 24 hour services . . . my only concer inthe planet has a limited amount of helium available . . . but the thought of a nice cruise to NZ to visit the kids and back without the noise, jet fuel stench and the best part - you get to take your arms, legs and luggage with you the whole flight, nostalgia of Graf Zeppelin proportions, sign me up!

I am thinking of the weather. Any lighter than airship will be all over the place in bad weather in my humble opinion. ⛱

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I am thinking of the weather. Any lighter than airship will be all over the place in bad weather in my humble opinion. ⛱
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Version I'm hearing from the Aviation Week crowd is A380 grew too far and is becoming a white elephant... Emirates is already quietly looking to downsize a few, going back to the next notch down like 777X and its Airbus equivalent.
    Oh, hell -- anyone with eyes on the industry could see the 380 was a boondoggle.

And this airship -- how many times do I have to remind people of _Shenandoah_, _Akron_, _Macon_, _R-34_.... (And those are the ones using *helium*.)

The Airlander 10 had small crash today on its second test flight damaging the cockpit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37178160

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    sorry guys, all I can say is..WHY? Are we going to start reproducing the Model T ford next?
    Good plan then we can go back to being able to fix our own cars

The Airlander 10 had small crash today on its second test flight damaging the cockpit.

Good thing that the accident wasn't any bigger. And that it doesn't have any actual fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    I agree

Smile

Yes saw that on Facebook today.
    Apparently hit a telegraph pole at the landing site.
    Might lack a bit of fine control.

Where are the gun ports?

Obvious utility for this in disaster relief and military logistics (a chunk of the R&D for this is military funded).

Saw on the news this morning that it took a nose dive. They did say that it was being developed as a cargo carrier for the military but the military dropped the idea.

Similar Missions

1. The Longest Reign
    By Naharaht in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-10-2015, 00:27
  2. The Longest Reign
    By Naharaht in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2015, 18:10
  3. The Longest Reign
    By Naharaht in forum New Zealand Wing
    Replies: 3