Ares Games

Thread: AAR PTO –Scen. 1a (Allies – 488th RNZAF – Singapore) 19. January 1942

Default AAR PTO –Scen. 1a (Allies – 488th RNZAF – Singapore) 19. January 1942

RNZAF defend Singapore harbor: Gloster Glad (x1) & Buffalo (x1) vs Ann (x2 (Vals)
    (Squadron avail: Planes (4 – Buff x2, Glads x2), Pilots (5). Martlet out 2 scenarios)

The Japanese push towards Singapore has been aggressive and the Commonwealth troops are giving ground. Valuable supply ships have arrived in the harbor and the 488th has been tasked with the CAP to protect them.

Podunk Airfield – outside Singapore - Squadron Leader Marriot reviewed the duty roster and looked at his gathered pilots lounging around the scarred table in the middle of mess tent serving as their briefing room, and officer’s mess. They looked relaxed, despite the constant flying and thread of attacks. Looking past them, and out the tent, he spied the 4 planes capable of flying today: 2 Brewster Buffalo’s and 2 Gloster Gladiators. The bi-planes had been “on loan” from the now defunct flight school, as well as Flight Officer Riwai, who had been training several of his pilots on how to fly them.

They had not had any encounters since his own CAP the day before yesterday. Today’s mission appeared pretty straightforward and he called out the next two names in the rotation, and told them which planes they were assigned. They nodded and gathered their gear and went to their planes. After takeoff he waved as they turned towards the harbor several miles away. That was the last he saw either plane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3992.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	191044
    FS John Anderson (Gloster Gladiator) looked over the harbor and watched the ships below unload. His radio cackled and he acknowledged. Coastal watchers had reported 2 Mitsubish Ki-30 (commonly called Ann’s by the Allied forces). He saw them and gave his wingman a thumbs up. FO Raymond Jeffs (Brewster Buffalo Mk1-B-339E-S) returned it and followed FS Anderson on the new heading.

Name:	IMG_3994.jpg 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	191045
    Anderson wanted to make a wide turn and come up behind the Ann’s. They closed and began their turn, just out of firing range.

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	191046
    Both pilots fired at the Orange colored Ann and scored minor hits while the Ann’s rear gunner missed Jeffs.

Name:	IMG_4013.jpg 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	191047
    Closing from behind, the pilots fired again, but the Ann was beginning it’s dive to perform it’s bombing run and the shots weren’t as accurate (1/2 damage). And worse, the rear gunner improved his aim and his shots found the underbelly of Jeff’s Buffalo. The Buffalo, already repaired multiple times couldn’t take any more and just fell apart around Jeffs. Anderson watched in dismay as they Buffalo began to fall towards the sea.

Name:	IMG_4017.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	191050
    Anderson misses the Orange Ann, and both Ann’s fire upon him.

Name:	IMG_4016.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	191049
    Anderson can’t get a hit, and takes more damage. Luckily the White Ann missed it’s bomb run, the Orange Ann did not.

Name:	IMG_4018.jpg 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	191051
    Anderson’s plane continues to take fire from both planes, and it begins to smoke as the engine is hit (smoke = engine hit). He gets a minor hit on the Orange Ann and continues to trail it.

Name:	IMG_4020.jpg 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	191052

Name:	IMG_4021.jpg 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	191053
    As Anderson struggles to keep flying as he crosses the burning Transport, the brutal crossfire continues as the White Ann turns towards him and the Orange Ann hits him again. A second engine hit causes the struggling engine to stop entirely and the plane begins it’s dead stick descent.

Disasterous results for the Kiwi's. 2 planes shot down, and the White Ann was able to loop around sink the 2nd transport. Both Ki-30's returned safely to their base.

Butchers Tally:

Name:	IMG_4022.jpg 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	191054

Anderson: Crash: Rolled 10 - 1shot down – 1 sea = 8 bruised – skip 1 scenario: rolled 5 for replacement plane – arrives after next battle. It’s a Hawker Hurricane. 9 arrived in Singapore in late Jan.

Dice Roller
    You rolled 2 dice:

Timestamp: 2016-03-18 03:54:10 UTC

Name:	IMG_4014.jpg 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	191048
    Jeffs: Crash: Rolled 11 –3exp –1sea = 7 bruised – skip 1 scenario: Rolled 6 for replacement plane – scratch one plane permanently.

Name:	IMG_4029.jpg 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	191057
    Replacement plane rolls.

Name:	IMG_4023.jpg 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	191055
    Sideways are ½ damage for differences in “Zoe’s House Altitude” (2 pegs).

Name:	IMG_4024.jpg 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	191056
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 03-18-2016 at 05:57.

I loved the details, Mischa!
    Excellent AAR!
    REP!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    I loved the details, Mischa!
    Excellent AAR!
    REP!
    Thanks! I realize I forgot my historical photos to tie it all together! Scen 2 will get them all - I started writing it up last night.
    And, the 488th are all actual flyers pulled from a roster I found. That won't be the case for the aircrews of the Hornet.

Another great AAR Mischa . Keep em coming. Going to catch uo with all the reports after Triples.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

A great AAR, Mischa.

Short and not-so-sweet for the Allies this time.
    Your map is very effective.

You guys are really whetting my appetite for WGS and the PTO.
    I think I will start dabbling later this year after I finish the WGF OTTED.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    A great AAR, Mischa.

Short and not-so-sweet for the Allies this time.
    Your map is very effective.
    Thanks. It's a sails of glory mat, w/ a blow up of the Midway map I found in the files. I kept zooming in till it looked interesting. I used small island & the hulls from a "CCG/tabletop" pirate game who's name I am blanking on....

You guys are really whetting my appetite for WGS and the PTO.
    I think I will start dabbling later this year after I finish the WGF OTTED.
    Nice! The new Dauntless' & Judy's will make it easier! The Merit 4-packs also help for Wildcats & more Dauntless (which I don't have).

Yet another great AAR Mischa, the explosion off the start would be very frustrating for me. Brave man in that Gladiator to keep pressing without any back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Yet another great AAR Mischa, the explosion off the start would be very frustrating for me. Brave man in that Gladiator to keep pressing without any back up.
    Thanks. I totally screwed up that chase. A Glad isn't meant to follow like that. And he got smack between both of them. On the other hand - what choice did he have? Singapore was under big-time pressure and those supplies were vital!

This was actually the 2nd time I played this scenario. The first time I mistakenly had the Vals immel when they missed (a no-no w/ bombs) and the Glad got to fire his "B" gun while they did so, with much better results. He brought one down, and was working on the 2nd when it immel'd too and I realized "oh...wait...whoops". So I deleted all the pics back to the explosion, reset, and played it out from there.

I also allowed the Vals to get too close and should have met them head on I think. Well, the pilots can learn for next time.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Great AAR Mischa. Thought I recognized the islands from Wizkids Pirates CCG. Excellent way to use additional outside resources.

Nice AAR Mischa. Those Vals put up more of a fight than I would have expected. That Buffalo getting taken out so quick really hurt.

I need to get Anderson up and flying again, he's anxious for revenge! Have the scenario planned, just need to to do it!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 14:58
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 14:41
  3. AAR PTO 3: Introducing the Commonwealth. January 1942
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 03:59
  4. AAR FIS PTO 2 - To Even the Odds - January 1942
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6