Ares Games

Thread: FIS PTO 1 - Waking the Sleeping Giant! - 7th December 1941 - teaticket

Default FIS PTO 1 - Waking the Sleeping Giant! - 7th December 1941 - teaticket

Aoyama Sota looked to his right and saw his friend Asahi Uchida, piloting a red tailed D3A, grinning back. They had been flying for 45 minutes and their targets were just coming into sight. The Americans had been caught sleeping as no interceptors had been encountered. The rear gunners, Fujiwara Tatsuya and Takizawa Hideaki gave each other the thumbs up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1-1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	189897

A-O, (Aoyama) as his squadron mates called him, was carrying a larger bomb than he had ever flown with before. It was a great honor to be given but he was not feeling easy. As the American ships came into view he told Asachi to first go for the smaller ship on the right while he would hit the larger one on the left. Just then he noticed two dark specks in the sky ahead.

Name:	s1-2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	189898

They were coming in fast, American fighters. The fighter on A-O’s left looked like he would fly right past so he turned in towards it to try to get by it taking a short burst while doing so.
    Asahi and another fighter flew straight at each other and fired too soon. Asahi felt his D3A shake a bit as he was hit.

Name:	s1-4.jpg 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	189899

Name:	s1-3.jpg 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	189900

As the fighters flew past the rear gunners took their first shots of the war at the new American enemy.
    Fujiwara hit his fast moving target as did the rookie Takizawa.

Name:	s1-5.jpg 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	189901

As the Yank flew past Taki kept firing and grinned when he saw the fighter start to smoke.
    It turned towards A-O and Fujiwara leaving the red tail a clear path to a destroyer. Fuji plinked off a shot as he saw the fighter turn towards him.

Name:	s1-6.jpg 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	189902

Asahi started his dive on the destroyer. “This was too easy”, he thought as the destroyer gave no resistance!

Fuji fired again and the Yank got his guns lined up and tore into the Val. A-O felt his plane rocked by the hits it was taking as he turned to make a run at a cruiser.

Name:	s1-7.jpg 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	189903

Fuji and the Yank were exchanging fire until Fuji was hit and slumped out of sight.
    A-O started his dive lining up the cruiser’s stern. A-O didn’t notice that Fuji’s gun went silent as he concentrated on the cruiser.

Name:	s1-8.jpg 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	189904

Asahi released one of his bombs on the direct center of the destroyer. As he pulled out of his dive he looked back and saw the ship jump out of the water and roll on it’s side. Taki let out a “Banzai”! seeing that they had sunk their target with one bomb.

Name:	s1-9.jpg 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	189905

Name:	s1-10.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	207.8 KB 
ID:	189906

A-O let his bomb go, hitting just fore the rear battery. The Yank fighter followed him in the dive but had difficulty keeping his aim.

Name:	s1-11.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	189907

With his bomb released A-O set up a wing-over to head back. His plane could not take much more damage as the Yank had punished the D3A badly. The Yank’s dive had taken it too far left so A-O felt he could shake him.

Asahi saw A-O hit the cruiser. He knew he had to score another hit if it was to be destroyed. There was nothing in his way so this should be easy as the ships didn’t seem to want to shoot back.

Name:	s1-12.jpg 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	189908

A-O pulled off his wing-over as the Yank flew past.

Asahi saw an enemy approaching and had to get past it to attack the cruiser. He felt confident as his D3A barely had a scratch on it.

Name:	s1-13.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	256.6 KB 
ID:	189909

As Asahi lined up a bomb run on the cruiser the American came straight on at him. The weight of the American machine guns shredded the D3A. Taki was hit and the plane plummeted into the bay.

Name:	s1-14.jpg 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	189910

A-O didn’t notice his friend’s plight as he flew through the rising smoke over the cruiser.

Name:	s1-15.jpg 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	189911

A-O hoped his now lighter plane could out run the Yanks. If he could only get closer to his carrier he would get fighter support.

Name:	s1-16.jpg 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	189912

By the time the Yank had stopped smoking and turned to give chase but was too far behind to catch A-O.

Name:	s1-17.jpg 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	189913

Minutes seemed like hours as A-O flew back to the Shokaku. Fuji moaned in pain from his wound and did not respond to A-Os’ asking him where he was hit and how was he. A-O did the best he could on landing his badly shot up plane. The landing was a rough one and the plane didn’t take it well. A-O was hurt in the crash as was Fuji...

Butcher’s Bill

Name:	s1-18.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	350.4 KB 
ID:	189914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1-19.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	370.0 KB 
ID:	189915
    Americans both RTB

Name:	s1-20.jpg 
Size:	372.1 KB 
ID:	189916
    Asahi Uchida SD SEA ET
    6 -1(sea) =5, Bailed out OK, captured

Takizawa Hideaki SD WIA SEA ET
    2 -1(wia) -1(sea) = 0 KIA

Name:	s1-21.jpg 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	189917
    Aoyama Sota 50%
    Carrier landing 4 -1(50%) = 3, miss 1 mission,
    plane 5 = miss 2 missions

Fujiwara Tatsuya WIA 50%
    2 -1(wia) -1(50%) = 0 badly wounded, home for you!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-19-2016 at 09:59.

Great opening action in the PTO Peter! Well flown.

Unfortunately I cannot give rep as your Devastators from earlier took it.
    I'll have to try and get my next mission in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot give rep as your Devastators from earlier took it.
    I'll have to try and get my next mission in soon.
    I hope to get to fly a mission every 2 weeks to catch up. I don't want to catch up too fast as I still have to paint up some Dauntless dive bombers. I know right when I paint my AIM models the ARES ones will arrive!

Was the Sota plane a repaint? If so what color green did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Yes, it's a paint over of a WOG Val. I'm not where my paints are but I'll pass on the info Monday night when I am. I'm pretty sure it's a Vallejo color.

Nice AAR, Peter.
    I do like those rods you use instead of pegs.
    Are those Omni-Stands ?
    Do they come with the gimbals attached ?

What a good AAR, if you wand Wes are going to be doing Japanese ones, I will need to get my on started, so the Allies can be well represented.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nice AAR, Peter.
    Are those Omni-Stands ?
    The rods are extending magnet tools. You can get them from Auto Zone for ~$2. The bases are Litko. I drill a beveled hole in the bottom and screw the rod to the base. I get the gimbal set from Keith. For official planes I cut the bottom peg off of an altitude peg and glue on a ball bearing. (roughed up with sand paper) The donut magnet from the gimbal set naturally attaches to the magnet on the end of the tool. Altitude with atitude.
    I posted a how to...now to find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    What a good AAR, if you wand Wes are going to be doing Japanese ones, I will need to get my on started, so the Allies can be well represented.
    Wes sure has gotten off to a good start. I have a bit of catching up to do. Join in when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nice AAR, Peter.
    Are those Omni-Stands ?
    Ah, found it. "HERE" tells all.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Ah, found it. "HERE" tells all.
    Thanks, Peter.
    Bookmarked it.

P.S. Wondered how I missed the original posting - I was driving Hwy 1 on the California coast
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 03-06-2016 at 11:37. Reason: added P.S.

Nicely done Peter. I'll get the results uploaded to night.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thanks again all.

Neil, I'm not 100% sure about rolling for butcher's bill after the action. For the 2 seaters I first rolled the pilot and plane's outcome. Then I rolled again just for the rear gunner. Is that ok or should I let you roll everything? I don't want to dump extra work on you if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thanks again all.

Neil, I'm not 100% sure about rolling for butcher's bill after the action. For the 2 seaters I first rolled the pilot and plane's outcome. Then I rolled again just for the rear gunner. Is that ok or should I let you roll everything? I don't want to dump extra work on you if I don't have to.
    I can also start rolling for my butchers tally's if it makes your life easier Neil, I believe I downloaded the rules for rolling and have them here some place.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I can also start rolling for my butchers tally's if it makes your life easier Neil, I believe I downloaded the rules for rolling and have them here some place.
    I know the 'Fire in the Sky Rules' have lots of tables but I am not clear on the rolling for multi-crew planes. I went with the pilot has control of the plane so both are effected by that roll. Other crew roll again and ignore plane results?

If you want to do the rolls then please go ahead. I only add in little AAR post scripts if I do the rolls.

I'll let you decide on how many rolls to make. But if your over ET then if they survive they are prisoners anyway. Dave (Flash) set the basic rules up and we've not changed them.

Peter as you add on pilots, ie names, I'll add them to your roster. Your initial list was exactly the same names as mine on Zuikaku.

Rosters are updated. If you think I've missed something or something is wrong let me know and I'll check and change if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    If you want to do the rolls then please go ahead. I only add in little AAR post scripts if I do the rolls.

I'll let you decide on how many rolls to make. But if your over ET then if they survive they are prisoners anyway. Dave (Flash) set the basic rules up and we've not changed them.

Peter as you add on pilots, ie names, I'll add them to your roster. Your initial list was exactly the same names as mine on Zuikaku.
    I know over ET is end of game but I wasn't sure 100% what you did for multi crew planes. I think what I did works so I'll keep doing it.

I know previously I only gave you my Zero pilots and you copied your Val and Kate pilots. I'll get new names for all my VAl and Kates to you this week.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 04-07-2016 at 12:50.

I could do my own rolls as well, but I do enjoy those writeups. However, it my doing my own rolls and my writeups allowed Neil to fly his own missions, and thus I could read an entire AAR, well, I could do that.

Hey I'm all for making life easy. If you want to do your own post script add ons after your dice rolls crack on. More the merrier. I might run out of ideas soon.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Darell, I'm pretty sure I used Vallejo 70922 / 084 Uniform Green. Right on the model with no other color/priming. First coat is a little light and I sort of streaked on a 2nd coat, can't really see it in the photos.

Nice little AAR there Peter. Plenty more missions ahead and I look forward to reading them.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thanks Paul, yes, many more very interesting scenarios on the horizon. I am scurrying to paint up some SBDs and Avengers after finishing up the Devastators. Soon I'll be ready for the US attacks.

Similar Missions

1. AAR: Waking The Sleeping Giant
    By Warhawk in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 12:12
  2. AAR PTO - Waking the Sleeping Giant! - 8th December 1941 (Marechallannes)
    By Marechallannes in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 18:56
  3. AAR PTO mission 1 Waking the sleeping Giant AAR
    By tikkifriend in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-09-2014, 15:26
  4. AAR Waking the sleeping Giant.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 07:56
  5. Replies: 13