Ares Games

Thread: AAR PTO -Pre-campaign CAP (Allies – 488th RNZAF – Singpore) 17. January 1942-No pics

Default AAR PTO -Pre-campaign CAP (Allies – 488th RNZAF – Singpore) 17. January 1942-No pics

After my first scenario, I flew a CAP just 1 ally vs 2 axis to get the mechanics down. I didn't take any pictures. Then I wanted to test out Zoe's House Rules on Altitude so I redid that CAP, again with no pictures. Took me just under an hour. Why? Because the Ally kept flying in circles trying to get isolate one of the 2 Axis and get an angle. One of the axis just immeled and dove, the other tried turning and they kept chasing each other around in a circle with the firing angles just not quite working out.

Squadron Ldr Richard D’Arcy Marriott (Veteran-Evasion) was flying a routine CAP over Podunk Airfield. It wasn’t much, but the dirt strip was home to his detachment from the 488th RNZAF. Podunk Airfield was supposed to help keep planes protected from the daily attacks on the nearby Kallang Airfield in Sinapore, but he wryly thought that perhaps the rational was backwards, that in fact he was drawing attention AWAY from Kallang and onto themselves! As if to prove his point, he spied a pair of planes ahead. Moment later he knew they had seen him too, as the planes tipped and began a straight run toward him .

Looks like Oscar and Nate are back to visit, he thought. I thought perhaps PO’s Sharp and the new kid Rowley had showed them weren’t welcome yesterday, but they are typical impolite neighbors. SO Marriot straightened his own Brewster Buffalo to intercept them head-on. His plane (a B-339E) was probably evenly matched for both of them. It was a tad slower than the Oscar but handled a bit better, and he felt they were about equal in total firepower. His plane could absorb a lot more damage than they could, as evidenced by the numerous patches across the wings and body.

The pair of Japs was headed directly towards him, the Nate on his left and the Oscar on the right. A quick slideslip left to put some air between the O and himself, and if I’m lucky I can take out the Nate early, then turn around and come back for Oscar. As luck would have it that didn’t happen. The trio neared firing range both planes were flying at full speed, and the gap closed too quickly for anyone to fire. Instead the Buffalo and the Nate scraped wingtips (3 dmg pts each), while the Oscar had turned to intercept and almost collided with both of them! PO Marriot wrenched his plane to the left and flew past the pair began a tight slow turn to his righto come around. The Nate immediately Immeled while the Oscar began his own turn to follow the Buffalo. All 3 planes had moved head-on, and were a mm or 2 from being in long range, after the next turn, the Nate & Buffalo overlapped by mm. Imagine this spot on the board as just to the west of center. Marriot is beginning a super tight clockwise turn and will wind up going 360 back to this point, then another 180 to the 3pm position!!!!

SO Marriot twisted in his seat to glimpse the enemy planes. As he turned tight to the right he saw them, the Nate was going to try and intercept him and the Oscar was over his other shoulder trying to follow his turn. His Buffalo wasn’t fast, but it could turn sharper than the O. The Nate got off a small shot, but did little to no damage, and Marriot continued to turn, hoping to get a good angle on one them, and at least keep them on their toes. The Nate Immeled again, and the Oscar continued to turn hard after him.

By now Marriot was back where he started and the Oscar was at his 3 o'clock going to 4, doing an Immel, giving up on the turning race! Where was the Nate? Ah, got him, he tried to cut off SO Marriot who turned right past him as the Nate missed it’s shot and flew past, having to Immel again! Marriot now is back at his 3, having turned 540 degrees! He hasn’t fired a shot yet. The Nate is approaching from the 9 at 3 pegs above him and the Oscar is at his 7, at 4 pegs heading towards him.

Now was his chance to make a move, he continues straight and begins his own Immel! The Oscar had dove towards him and expected him to turn as he had been, but he didn’t so it plows into him! He takes 0 damage, but the Oscar takes 8! The Nate dove down to his altitude and gets off another burst while Marriot is Immeling, but it does minor damage. Marriot is now in pursuit of the Oscar. The Oscar tries to outturn Marriot, but his radius it not good and Marriot gains on him. Finally they both turn again and Marriot is able to unleash his guns, but to no effect! Both continue to turn and Marriot is now firing broadside into the fuselage of the Oscar and his fire this time is devastating. (another 8 and a fire damage)..the Oscar spirals from the sky stricken.

Marriot straightens out and Immels on the same spot he started this match from when the Nate catches up and fires upon him, again minor damage, but it is starting to add up! He thinks the rudder was hit, but during an Immel it’s not tested and it seems to work fine when he is done. The Nate Immels and Marriot does the same, so both fire head on from close range. The Nate is shredded (taking 9 damage) and Marriot is sure he hit the pilot! Marriot feels a few chunks fly away from his own play. The two fly past each other and both are certain that although their planes are barely aloft one more pass and they can knock the other out of the sky. Both begin a turn steep turn one clockwise, the other counterclockwise, so it appears they will reach other again head on! They both fire and each hits minorly, but now both planes are barely aloft! (each is 1 pt from falling down). Both pilots try to evade the other, but it’s too late and they scrape (by the slimmest margin the overlap).

IF EVADE CAN BE USED TO AVOID A COLLISION THEN Marriot stays aloft and both pilots decide that caution is the better part of valor and fly off on opposite sides of the board. If it cannot, then Marriot’s luck comes to an end (he got a 5, the Nate a 0), and his plane begins to descend towards the earth, about to crash. He parachutes out, hopefully close to Podunk Airfield. He doesn’t fancy a long walk.

RESULTS:
    Squadron Ldr Richard D’Arcy Marriott (Veteran-Evasion)
    A) Shot Down. 1 Kill
    OR
    B) Flies home (1 point left), 1 kill.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 03-03-2016 at 09:25.

Excellent AAR Mischa! Thanks!
    But next time, you know... pictures. Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Excellent AAR Mischa! Thanks!
    But next time, you know... pictures. Just saying!

Ok, here is the fight in pictures.

Mmmm...
    The airplanes belong to two different wars...
    I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post

Ok, here is the fight in pictures.

I agree with you Quim, not fair for the German here.

Just pretend it's a proxy for a Gloster Gladiator (RNZAF) and the Oscar (Imperian Japanese Army Air Force). That's my next flight, as I think my assigned planes for the 488th have only 2 airworthy Glads & a Buffalo!

On the plus side, all replacement planes will be Hurricanes.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 03-03-2016 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Just pretend it's a proxy for a Gloster Gladiator (RNZAF) and the Oscar (IJN). That's my next flight, as I think my assigned planes for the 488th have only 2 airworthy Glads & a Buffalo!
    Oh! If itดs a proxy itดs okay!

Marriott looked over his shoulder as the Nate flashed past. He had instinctively thrown the stick to the right and only his wingtip took the damage. The Nate had continued to fly away as Marriott made the decision to fly for home. He had chanced his luck enough for 1 day.

As he lined up for his landing he was thanking God that his luck and his plane had held out for so long. Now all he had to do was land safely.

Rolled:4 -1(50% dam) +1 (Vet)=4 plane just makes it.

You rolled 1 die:

Timestamp: 2016-03-03 22:56:42 UTC

Squadron Ldr Richard D’Arcy Marriott (Veteran-Evasion)

B) Flies home (1 point left), 1 kill.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2016, 14:41
  2. AAR PTO 3: Introducing the Commonwealth. January 1942
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 03:59
  3. AAR FIS PTO 2 - To Even the Odds - January 1942
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6