Ares Games

Thread: Ever seen a C-130 land on a carrier?

Amazing. They make it look easy!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Off the top of my head this was a US Navy operated C-130 during trials in 1963. Holds the record for the largest aircraft ever to land and take off from an aircraft carrier in terms of both regular and irregular operations. The carrier used in these trials was the USS Forrestal.

As things turned out the US Navy had a rethink after these trials in terms of carrier logistics and instead of using C-130s regularly decided on a smaller aircraft to fulfil this role. Not sure how long after this the first Grumman C-2A Greyhounds appeared but these are what is still in use today. They are based on the Grumman E-2C Hawkeye AEW aircraft.

Hi Barney
    Fantastic shots! Amazing just how fast it came to a dead stop. Loved the logo-Look Mum, No Hook.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hi Reg I agree - but it was actually Mischa (Gotham Resident) who started this thread.

I have to confess that I never noticed that the Hercules carried Look Mum, No Hook. before! Thanks to this I have an excuse to watch this video again

There is something hilarious that I could compliment this video with ... Although it is actually flown on MS Flight Simulator 2004 so it would not count so much - even with me using as real as dammit settings!

On special occasions at Chopper Squad I am known to fly my party piece which involves successfully flying a loop in an Aerospatiale-turned Eurocopter-now Airbus Helicopters AS.365 Dauphin ... Or HH-65C Dolphin (US Coast Guard) helicopter on FS2004. Two pilots from the Vigili di Costa (Italian Coast Guard / Sardinia) and I first performed this in February 2009: Used FRAPS to make a video of it and add the Lily Allen song It's Not Fair as background music. I then put this on Youtube and it lasted a month: Had to remove it after another organisation we were training pilots with spotted it and frowned upon what they saw!
    Last edited by Tonx; 02-25-2016 at 16:31. Reason: Typo!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Off the top of my head this was a US Navy operated C-130 during trials in 1963. Holds the record for the largest aircraft ever to land and take off from an aircraft carrier in terms of both regular and irregular operations. The carrier used in these trials was the USS Forrestal.
    lol Off the top of you head? Well done!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    lol Off the top of you head? Well done!
    Off the top of my head is English slang for recalled from memory - which for once has not let me down it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Amazing. They make it look easy!
    That's years of training I guess

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    That's years of training I guess
    This sort of work would only be entrusted to a Test Pilot. Though on multi-engine aircraft like this they would probably have been supported by a Research Test and Evaluation Team.

Cmdr R M Mike Crosley in his book Up In Harm's Way gives a graphic and detailed account of what it takes to even go near becoming a Test Pilot. Captain Eric Winkle Brown is another good source of information as to just what is required and what it takes too although for some reason his exploits appear to overshadow those of Crosley who I once knew personally.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Well it was designed for short take off and landing. If you get the right wind speed plus a bit more from the carrier's movement, landing a C-130 is not only possible but very possible.

Still would not like to be on board if it went wrong, there's no zero altitude ejection from a C-130!

That feat was honoured by being incorporated into a story in the J.A.G. t.v. series.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2022, 01:40
  2. BRF Mission 7: May/June 1942 Coral Sea: Carrier v Carrier
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-03-2016, 10:42
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-29-2015, 14:14
  4. New planes have landed! And new land for planes to land ON...
    By MoonSylver in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 19:06
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 09:32