Ares Games

Thread: Cool Video: B/W Great War Aircraft

Default Cool Video: B/W Great War Aircraft

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but here's a great little 9-minute b/w video (silent) of various Great War era kites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrIf_5gEEM

Includes a variety of aircraft: Bristol Fighter, SE5, Camel, RE8, kite balloon going up in flames, Fokker D.VII, Fokker Dr.1, DFW C.V, Gotha, Albatros D model, and others.
    Last edited by fast.git; 02-25-2016 at 12:31.

Thanks for that Flash, very interesting. I particularly liked the balloon guy bailing out.

OUTSTANDING video! Even though it was a silent movie I could still hear the in-lines & Rotary's spit and cough to life somewhere in my mind.

Neat video. I noticed several unit markings along British fuselage sides and the striped noses on some Fokker DVIIs. Any ideas what these units might be?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I noticed several unit markings along British fuselage sides and the striped noses on some Fokker DVIIs. Any ideas what these units might be?
    I noticed boomerangs painted on the fuselage sides of British marked aircraft towards the middle section of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    I noticed boomerangs painted on the fuselage sides of British marked aircraft towards the middle section of the video.
    One of the ones I also noticed. Anyone know what unit used this marking?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    They were from the Australian Flying Corps!

Were they flying upside down, then?

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    One of the ones I also noticed. Anyone know what unit used this marking?
    Peter, 2 Squadron AFC used the Boomerang symbol on their SE 5a's

Thumbs up

Great find Chris! Well Done.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    They were from the Australian Flying Corps!
    2 Squadron Australian Flying Corps says a friend of mine whose Great Grandfather served in Europe during WW1. She says that when Oswald Watt took over as Commanding Officer the boomerang symbol appeared behind the Roundel.

Watt arrived at 2 Squadron AFC after spending some time on secondment to France. During which time his aircraft carried Advance Australia painted on the nose. Only thing she is a bit vague about is the type of aircraft the boomerang first appeared on: 2 Squadron at first operated the (Airco) DH.5 until January 1917 when they were re-equipped with the (Royal Aircraft Factory) SE5a. Later on in 1917 2 Squadron AFC and 4 Squadron AFC were merged.

One of the Bristol Fighters they're rolling out (at the 0:33 mark) is F.2b A7194, serving with No.1 Sqn AFC in Palestine. Crew was Lt. Lew Potts and James H Traill.

It appears to be in the same two-tone white/PC10 (or PC12...? brown, basically) coloring as the Headlam/Beaton WGF F.2b A7198.

----------------------------------------------------------

Bristol F.2B A7194 displays PC 10 and white finish spotted by some of the Bristols of No 67 Sqn - later redesignated No 1 Sqn AFC. Prior to transferring to that unit, A7194 had seen considerable success with No 111 Sqn, as flown by pilots 2Lt R C Steele and Capt A H Peck, and observer ace Capt J J L Williams. At some point in its career, A7194's vertical stabilizer was either replaced or repainted with the surface and serial colours reversed.
    (Australian War Memorial via Colin A Owers)

Bristol's A7194 and B1150 undergo maintenance near a typical hangar used by No 1 Sqn AFC at El Mejdel. Note the camera mounted on A7194. (Australian War Memorial via Colin A Owers)

Bristol Fighter A7194 Lt Lew Potts and James H Traill (Australian War Memorial via Colin A Owers)

First Bristol Fighter to arrive at No 1 Sqn AFC Weli s Nuran, F.2B A7194 (via Rod Farquhar)

Last edited by fast.git; 02-27-2016 at 13:02. Reason: Added Crew Info & Photos

As for the Fokker D.VIIs (at the 4:10 mark), my best guess is that they're from Jasta 6. By the summer of 1917, Jasta 6 Albatros D.III and D.V aircraft had black & white chordwise stripes on the upper and lower tailplane surfaces and, occasionally, black noses.

Jasta 6 Fokker Triplanes continued this trend, though black engine cowlings became standard.

By the late spring and early summer of 1918, Jasta 6 Fokker D.VIIs tailplanes were similarly colored, but the cowlings now bore black and white stripes. Additionally, these D.VIIs typically remained in the factory-standard green-striped camouflage on their fuselage, and lozenge-patterned fabric on wing surfaces.

One such example would be Ltn Richard Wenzl, who served with Jasta 6 from 17 May 1918 until the end of the war. Wenzl served as the squadron's acting commander from 10 August to 9 September 1918, and finished the war with twelve aerial victories.

Jasta 6 Fokker E.Vs (and, I would assume, D.VIIIs) were similarly marked, but with a black and white petal pattern on the engine cowling.
    Last edited by fast.git; 02-27-2016 at 13:03. Reason: Added Pilot Info

After a little digging (thank you Aerodrome!), I found some information about the the German two-seater shown at the 4:19 mark. http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/sh...t=46600&page=2

Taken from the site linked above:

This particular aircraft was identified by Alex Imrie in his article, "WW1 German Two-Seater Aircraft Finish & Markings, Part 2," found in the November 1969 Scale Models magazine. Mr. Imrie identified the unit of the DFW C.V with "Totenkopf" as Flieger Abteilung (A) 255. Before it had acquired the DFW C.V's, it seems the unit flew several LVG C.V's. Each one featured large personal emblems on the fuselage in white - these included a star, a comet, a crescent moon and an arrow. The DFW C.V's displayed similar emblems.

The Gotha G.IV shown at the 7:02 mark appears to be a G.IV of Kagohl 3 (604/16, "K"), which flew day-time raids over Britain from Belgium in the late spring and early summer 1917. According to the late Dan_San_Abbott, Hptm Rudolf Kleine assumed command of Kagohl Nr.3 on 23 June 1917, leading them on a bombing raid on Harwich-Felixstowe on 4 July 1917.

A number of photos exist (although there is some question as to the date on which they were taken) which depict a white Gotha with red markings on the nose and rear fuselage after the "K" (Serial G.IV 604/16). This aircraft sits in the leader position (Kleine's aircraft) with the other two Gotha G.IV machines to the rear and right and left positions of the Deputy Formation Leaders.
    Last edited by fast.git; 02-27-2016 at 13:04.

The final aircraft appears to be an Albatros D.III, but distinguishing markings are nearly impossible to discern through the smoke in the foreground. It does sport a light colored vertical tailplane, but that particular marking (depending upon whether white, yellow, was carried by Jastas 2, 6, 7, 11, 19, 23b, 34b, 36,... and others. Your guess is as good (or, most likely, better) than mine.

Similar Missions

1. This Could Be Cool....
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2015, 13:57
  2. Cool Deal
    By Tokhuah in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-11-2014, 17:04
  3. WSF Cool Spad VII
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 4