Ares Games

Thread: WW2 aircraft list

Default WW2 aircraft list

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to the site so I'm still finding my way around. Can anyone point me in the direction of a list of WW2 aircraft stats including manouver decks, damage levels etc?

Cheers,
    Pete

One of our forum members, Dan-Sam, has compiled this sort of information here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ghlight=series

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hello Peter and if I haven't already done so may I welcome you to the Aerodrome from Derbyshire. Good to see another WW2 / WGS player on the scene although just recently I have turned my attention from being a full-time WGS player to playing both versions of the game.

Just a thought - this thread could also be useful to you: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ts-and-Bumps-I

It's all about learning WGS and as the thread progresses you can see the different types of which are available for Wings of Glory in detail - like both types of bomber for instance. So with one thread you assemble stats and details and then you can see illustrations and read performance hints and tips with the other = Full Picture

Thanks for the links fast.git and Tonx. The stats are exactly what I'm after and your posts Tonx are really enjoyable reading and give a great feel for the game. One question, do you find the manouver cards offer enough difference between each type of aircraft? Eg. if one of your Gladiators was to go up against say an me109, would there be the difference you would expect to see? I recently bought Wings of War fire in the sky and the Third Reich aircraft expansion, it just looks to me like the manouver decks (apart from the I deck) seem fairly similar?

A list of all releases for both WOW, World War II, and WGS can be found at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=910

Quote Originally Posted by pkent View Post
    Thanks for the links fast.git and Tonx. The stats are exactly what I'm after and your posts Tonx are really enjoyable reading and give a great feel for the game. One question, do you find the manouver cards offer enough difference between each type of aircraft? Eg. if one of your Gladiators was to go up against say an me109, would there be the difference you would expect to see? I recently bought Wings of War fire in the sky and the Third Reich aircraft expansion, it just looks to me like the manouver decks (apart from the I deck) seem fairly similar?
    Hi Peter, welcome to the 'Drome.

I also find the manoeuvre decks of WGS incredibly similar - almost always 18 cards, almost never a 90 degree turn.................
    I guess that the higher speeds of the planes involved preclude high manoeuvrability.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I also find the manoeuvre decks of WGS incredibly similar - almost always 18 cards, almost never a 90 degree turn.................
    I guess that the higher speeds of the planes involved preclude high manoeuvrability.
    Except for where the Biplanes of WW2 like the Gloster Gladiator Mk I and the Fiat CR.42 are concerned. These can turn through 90 degrees and perform sharp slalom manoeuvers ... In fact they are amongst the most fun aircraft to fly in the WGS range IMHO thanks to these factors.

Now then ... An Me Bf.109E versus a Gloster Gladiator: May I firstly recommend the Gloster Sea Gladiator to give you a little more fire-power. Advantage Bf.109E - fire-power by far as well as the ability to close up on and outrun the opposition: Advantage Sea Gladiator - manoeuverability by far and also if the Bf.109E pilot is not careful he will keep overtaking the opposition who is able to turn sharper. This could lead to the Sea Gladiator being able to turn a tighter turning circle than the Bf.109E and result in a spot of blind-spot firing before the Bf.109E is able to accelerate away from or outrun the Gladiator. A good one - next Solitaire game I play I may just give this scenario a bash and I will tell you how it goes if you are interested.

There are also early war aircraft which use the standard size manoeuver card in WGS as well as the faster late-war fighters which use a bigger size of manoeuver card. This is covered in Circuits and Bumps I because if you pitch a late war aircraft against an early war aircraft you could be setting yourself up for a very frustrating situation of constantly overshooting or overtaking your target. Also worth bearing in mind is that the twin engine types which are not classified as bombers of any kind in WGS ... Use standard size manoeuver cards - which catches many people by surprize. Examples of these are the Messerschmitt Bf.110C and Bristol Beaufighter - both by Ares Games and currently available: Checked stocks at AA just now.

Terribly sorry but I consider the above quote to be a little too generalistic knowing the game the way I do. Your best bet is to look through Circuits and Bumps I.

Thanks Barney, would love to hear how you get on with a Gladiator v 109. I think I'll just approach the game the way you have, I probably just don't know it well enough yet.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

OK Peter you are on - next Solitaire game I play will be Gloster Sea Gladiator / Burges against Bf.109E-3 / Molders

Relax and get to know the game rather than rushing at anything - there is loads of fun to be had on the way. I'll assure you now that I have been playing WGS solidly for one year now and there is still no way on this earth that I could turn round and say that I know it all now. You've made a good choice in WGS and the game is far from about to let you down

Look forward to reading your battle report Barney

Similar Missions

1. WGS Unofficial aircraft list Version 1.0
    By Jager in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 02-07-2024, 18:54
  2. Metal and Resin aircraft list
    By pbhawkin in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-14-2023, 09:42
  3. WGS Unofficial aircraft list Version 1.0 now out
    By Jager in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 13:05
  4. WGF To the masters of the aircraft cards: My wish list...........
    By James Denberger in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 07:43
  5. Compiled list of Aircraft
    By Kermit in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2013, 10:47