Ares Games

Thread: AAR PTO -Pre-campaign scenario (Allies – 488th RNZAF – Singpore) 16. January 1942

Default AAR PTO -Pre-campaign scenario (Allies – 488th RNZAF – Singpore) 16. January 1942

488 (NZ) Squadron was formed on 1 September 1941 at Rongotai, New Zealand under Squadron Leader W.G.(Wilf) Clouston, a veteran of the Battle of France and Battle of Britain with nine victories to his credit. The squadron was one of several Commonwealth squadrons equipped with Brewster Buffaloes, and arrived at Kallang Airfield Singapore in November 1941, where it took over the Brewsters of No. 67 Squadron RAF. Kallang was shared with a Brewster detachment of the 2-VLG-V of the Royal Netherlands East Indies Air Force, and No. 243 Squadron RAF, in which most of the aircrew were Kiwis.
    When the Japanese attacked, the squadron was still in training and sorting out difficulties with its machines, including dysfunctional oxygen which prevented high altitude flying, weight difficulties which resulted in armour and machine guns being deleted and high maintenance requirements resulting from Brewster's use of worn out ex-airline engines in manufacturing the aircraft (which had been supplied to No. 67 Squadron in March). There were also problems getting spares and with the peacetime red tape and restricted flying hours laid down by the British High Command in Singapore.
    Frequent air battles over Singapore occurred from 12 January 1942, the Japanese pilots being better trained and outnumbering the defenders, but (despite widespread claims of Mitsubishi Zeros being present), with the exception of a few Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa "Oscars" most Japanese fighters and many bombers were in no better condition than those of the Royal Air Force's.[8] As the Buffalo squadrons (many manned by New Zealanders and Australians) lost men and machines, several were amalgamated into 488 Squadron.

Peter Rowley kept both hands on the stick and scanned the ground in front of him nervously, then looked at his compass headings and once again checked the notes on his flight notes strapped to his leg. “Where is this airfield?” he wondered. He was on the right heading and it should be coming into view any minute.
    PO Rowley, in his Martlet, was looking for his new posting: a tiny airfield outside of Singapore. It was an attempt to try and deter (and avoid) the constant Japanese attacks on Kallang Airfield itself. He couldn’t believe that a single plane flown by pilot with no combat experience was really going to be considered reinforcements, but those were his orders. “Join up Squadron Leader Marriot at Podunk Field. Follow this heading for 10 minutes, then turn to this one for another 14 and you should see it. Good luck.” Those were orders. That was it.

Rowley saw a single speck in the sky ahead of him, then saw the field beyond him. His headset radio cackled. “Unknown plane on heading 182, identify yourself. This is Foster 3. That you rook?” “Roger Foster 3, this is Flight 815, inbound for Podunk.” “You found us. Welcome. And where in blazes did you get a Martlet? Form on me, and I’ll show your parking spot.” As the speck developed into a plane, he recognized it as a Brewster Buffalo Mark I, and were those patch marks on it’s fuselage?
    As the two formed up and headed for the field, which was a very generous name for the dirt strip and canvas tent buildings he saw near it, his radio cackled again. “Rook, you are just in time…looks like we got company at 2”.
    Startled, Rowley looked ahead and saw a flight of planes headed at them. “You are the only friendly expected Rook, so they bloody aren’t.” As they raced towards each other Rowley saw that there were 4 planes, inbound, 2 Oscars and 2 Nates. He was good at recognizing planes, that was easy. How would he fare at combat, well, he hadn’t even gotten to stow his bag and he was about to find out! As he watched, the Japanese broke into 2 pairs and attempted a pincer move on Rowley and his new friend, Foster 3 (known to the rest of the world as Pilot Officer Noel Sharp, flying his B-339E-M on CAP around the airfield).

END TEASER.
    (I cannot guarantee that the sortie will be flown before we go to Legoland & Universal Studios (Harry Potter world) this weekend, but it's coming soon).
    (I will use the AI for the Allies, and the damage generator as well.

FYI - Peter Rowley is an actual pilot, the relative of one of our own members. He WAS NOT in 488th RNZAF, and he flew a P40. But I had a Wildcat painted in his schemes, and this is his plane. No Martlet's were in the 488th, but it is a plane I had so I have taken some liberties.

ALSO - PLEASE NOTE - I will probably us Zero mini's as proxies for Oscar's & Nate's & a P40 for the Brewster, but I will be using the appropriate card to manage them.

488th RNZAF (9/1/41) - Singapore - to become 14 RNZAF (3/2/42)
    Squad Ldr Richard D'Arcy Marriott (Veteran-Evasion): Brewster Buffalo Mk1 (B-339E) V
    FO Raymond G Jeffs : Brewster Buffalo Mk1 (B-339E-S) S
    PO Noel Sharp : Brewster Buffalo Mk1 (B-339E-M) S
    FS John Anderson : Gloster Gladiator S
    FO Tohunga Riwai : Gloster Gladiator S
    PO Peter FH Rowley (Rookie): F4F Martlet R

Sgt J Nesbitt-Dufort : Bristol Beaufighter S
    Flt Lt (Nav) Arthur Crookes S
    PO Geoge E Jameson : Bristol Beaufighter S
    FS (Nav) Edward Stanley Hickmore S
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 02-29-2016 at 13:44.

Looking good Mischa, cannot wait for the AAR!

Looking very good!
    Waiting for the AAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Looking very good!
    Waiting for the AAR!
    Me too, lol. I'm still waiting to fly the actual mission! We leave at 4am tomorrow for Legoland & Harry Potter (at Universal Studios). I was only going to fly the rookie to the airfield and take on 2 attackers (as written in the scenario). But, I thought they would be flying a cap, so I then maybe he could stumble upon the end of it, and see the cap go down, but wouldn't the rest of the fighters want to be scrambled? It seemed to just flow this way as a narrative.

All this background just to add my Glad & Martlet to a squadron that didn't have either!
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 02-11-2016 at 07:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Me too, lol. I'm still waiting to fly the actual mission!

Got it all set up to produce any single fighter card "easily". 1) Google plane name - click images. Look for a top down view. 2) copy and paste into word. Size it appropriately. 3) Print 4) Cut it out. 5) Tape on an a blue background I found. 6) Use my handy label form I found to add the name, deck, damage, and gun types. 7) Tape it on. 8) Use the color copier at work to copy my masterpiece onto card stock I have bought and store in my desk.

I did some bombers the same way (a Nell & a Betty), but it takes longer to cut out the crew markers and then hand draw w/ a ruler the firing arcs.
    Pictures?

It will be good to see some Bristols take to the air

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Pictures?
    I will update my "homemade card" album tonight. With the 3 bombers & a few of the "other planes".

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Anxiously awaiting the resolution of this tangle at Kallang.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    I will update my "homemade card" album tonight. With the 3 bombers & a few of the "other planes".
    I uploaded several homemade cards to my album.

PREVIOUSLY:
    As PO Rowley watched, the Japanese broke into 2 pairs and attempted a pincer move on Rowley and his new friend, Foster 3 (known to the rest of the world as Pilot Officer Noel Sharp, flying his B-339E-M on CAP around the airfield).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3940[1].jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	189266
    LEFT = PO Noel Sharp (Buffalo Brewster B-339E-M), RIGHT = PO Rowley (Martlet)

Name:	IMG_3941[1].jpg 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	189267
    Rowley’s view of the Japanese planes approaching the airfield. (Oscars on his left, Nates on his Right).

Over his headpiece Rowley heard “Rook, form on me. We’re gonna zig right, break left then immel behind 'em. Stay on my wing and we will get through this. That Martlet outguns them all combined!” Pete nodded his assent, then realized he couldn’t be heard and keyed his mike, “Roger" he croaked.

Name:	IMG_3942[1].jpg 
Size:	211.3 KB 
ID:	189268
    The Japanese planes reached the airfield and the Nates began strafing the Brewsters on the ground.

Name:	IMG_3943[1].jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	189269
    Flak bursts from an AA surprise Rowley, but they miss the Nates, who continue to pour fire onto the grounded planes. He silently urges his own flight to move faster.

Name:	IMG_3946[1].jpg 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	189280
    “Ok Rook, we take this guy, then straight past then immel.” The RNZAF flight fires at the Oscar that appears in front of them. Both hit, and the Oscar attacks Foster 3 but misses. Rowley feels his plane shudder and the sound of metal tearing. The 2nd Oscar fired at him, and his plane feels sluggish. “Foster 3, Foster 3, my engines hit! My engines hit. “

Name:	IMG_3947[1].jpg 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	189271
    “Crikey! Break right Rook and come around.” Foster 3 begins to pull up to continue the Immelman turn, that the Oscar had done just before them. Off to the right, the Nate and the an Oscar narrowly avoid a collision in mid-air! (both drew 0’s).

Name:	IMG_3949[1].jpg 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	189272
    The CAP flight had waited too long to begin their turn, so they flew past the end of the airfield, and the Oscar completed his turn and fired upon Foster 3 scoring a hit.

Name:	IMG_3951[1].jpg 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	189273
    “He’s on my tail Foster 3” “I see that” comes the reply. Foster 3 has completed his own Immel and fires upon the Green Oscar, who is chasing Rowley (dmg 3), and a Nate is also closing in and decides to fire at Rowley (1) instead of the grounded plane.

Name:	IMG_3952[1].jpg 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	189274
    Rowley out turns the Oscar, who misjudged Rowley's turn (thanks AI!), while the Nate begins an Immel.

Name:	IMG_3953[1].jpg 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	189275
    While the aerial battle has been going on, most of the planes on the ground have been brought under cover and out of harm’s way. The rest of the planes are jockeying for position. Rowley on the left is still coming around at slow speed on right turns, in the foreground Foster 3 & one of the Nates avoid a collision, on the left an Oscar performs and Immelman, and so does the Nate in the distance.

Name:	IMG_3955[1].jpg 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	189276
    The Oscar chasing Rowley flies over the AA position, whom opens fire with deadly accuracy knocking the Oscar out of the sky! (yes, it was too close I realize while writing this up…but they had been waiting for a shot having missed several times).

Name:	IMG_3956[1].jpg 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	189277
    Rowley grips the stick more tightly as he realizes he is flying right into all 3 remaining Japanese planes, the first one fires upon his plane and he sees the holes in the wing, but doesn’t notice a difference in flying, so he keeps going.

Name:	IMG_3957[1].jpg 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	189278
    Rowley sees the plane ahead and he fires off a burst and sees parts fly off the Oscar. (mistake #2 – both fired at short range damage despite actual long range)

Name:	IMG_3958[1].jpg 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	189279
    Picture 3959 (picture lost) - (It was Rowley's shot at the top of this image. Dmg was Engine 7 - with the early Japanese having an engine hit = fire)
    The planes continue to circle the airfield stalking each other. Foster 3 fires upon a Nate and Rowley lays into the other one and shreds it. He starts at the holes that appear and smirks at the fire that appears! (I’m not sure how he got all the way up there, there must have several rounds of turns and counter turns).

Name:	IMG_3962.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	234.4 KB 
ID:	189288
    Foster 3 relentlessy pursues the Nate and this time wounds the pilot, but still it flies on.

Name:	IMG_3964.jpg 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	189289
    Meanwhile, Rowley and his Nate are trying to outturn each other. Rowley feels the Nate get the angle on him and his plane takes more hits, but the Nate tails off on it's own spiral toward the ground, fire spreading throughout the plane. Rowley wonders if that counts as his first kill, since the fire actually knocked the plane out of the sky, but he caused the fire.

Name:	IMG_3965.jpg 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	189290

Name:	IMG_3966.jpg 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	189291
    Foster 3 relentless pursues the Nate, but can’t see to get a kill shot Staying on his tail, he fires another burst and finally that Nate goes down. But Noel Sharp (as Foster 3’s) smile is shortlived as his own plane is struck by the remaining Oscar, and a fire erupts. “Damn damn damn.” He is too low to dive and put it out, and the Oscar has the angle on him.

Name:	IMG_3968.jpg 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	189292
    He tries to quickly turn away, but the Oscar fires again and the goes slack, but luckily Noel Sharp wasn’t turning that direction.

Name:	IMG_3970.jpg 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	189293
    Rowley is closing on the fleeing Oscar.

Name:	IMG_3971.jpg 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	189294
    The fire overtakes Noel Sharp’s plane and he attempts to bail out.

Name:	IMG_3972.jpg 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	189295
    The last remaining Oscar flees for home. Rowley watches the Oscar flee and then looks around. The airfield is surrounded by downed planes, 3 Japanese and one fellow Kiwi. He scans the area to see if he can the pilot of Foster 3. Not sure what else to do, he keys his mike “Um. Foster Tower….are you there?”

THE RESULTS:

Name:	IMG_3978.jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	189297
    ROOKIE PO Pete Rowley (Martlet Mk II) – 11( of 17) dmg, RTB (he tries to land on this dirt strip) – He successfully fired upon an opponent. I do not know if he gets credit for shooting down the Nate. It feel from fire damage the turn after he hit it. (RTB / 50% dmg / 1 kill?

Name:	IMG_3979.jpg 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	189296
    STANDARD PO Noel Sharp (Brewster Buffalo Mk 1) – Shot Down over his own airfield, in flames. 1 kill. (FLM / FT / 1 kill)

Name:	IMG_3980.jpg 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	189298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3981.jpg 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	189299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3982.jpg 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	189300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3983.jpg 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	189301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3984.jpg 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	189302
    Many of the planes on the ground are heavily damaged.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 03-03-2016 at 14:25.

All pictures uploaded and AAR finished.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 02-29-2016 at 18:51.

Nicely flown. Results by end of tomorrow.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Nice AAR Mischa, well flown!

Rookie PO Pete Rowley was struggling to control his damaged Martlet. He cursed the Japanses pilot who had managed to put more holes in his engine cowling than his mothers colander back home in Yorkshire. With engine misfiring and then to add insult to injury it just stopped. Luckily he was about 20 feet from the runway when the darn plane dropped like a brick. Undercarriage wrecked and a jar to his back, Pete considered himself lucky to have survived without further injury.

He looked over at the burned out Buffalo of his friend Noel. "Didn't stand a chance Pete", the Co said as he walked by. "Too low to bail out, reckon he was lucky to have died instantly. Mustn't have felt a thing." Pete muttered something before heading off to see the quack.

ROOKIE PO Pete Rowley (Martlet Mk II) – 11( of 17) dmg, RTB (he tries to land on this dirt strip) –
    RTB / 50% dmg / 1 kill
    Rolled landing: 4-1(50%) = 3 plane misses 1d3 scenarios/ pilot misses 1 scenario
    You rolled 1 die:

Timestamp: 2016-03-03 22:38:11 UTC

Missed scenario roll for damaged plane: =6 = 3 so plane misses 3 scenarios due to damage and a heavy landing.

You rolled 1 die:

Timestamp: 2016-03-03 22:39:22 UTC

STANDARD PO Noel Sharp (Brewster Buffalo Mk 1) – Shot Down over his own airfield, in flames. 1 kill.
    (FLM / FT / 1 kill)
    Shot down roll: 1 = KIA

You rolled 1 die:

Timestamp: 2016-03-03 22:40:44 UTC
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 03-03-2016 at 14:48.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. AAR PTO 3: Introducing the Commonwealth. January 1942
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 03:59
  2. AAR FIS PTO 2 - To Even the Odds - January 1942
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-02-2014, 18:58
  3. WGS Tunisian Campaign 1942-43 - 1/200 Air 200 Focke Wulf Fw 190As, II./JG2
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models