Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560: Missions Flown in 2016.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Default Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560: Missions Flown in 2016.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7921.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	185997

She has had her ups ... She has had her downs ... She has been likened to a 1991 pop song and has also amassed fans around the Globe. She is indeed Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 of 27 Squadron RAF and she is currently heading this way.

XH560 which is now being flown in memory of Steve Hague from the South Yorkshire Air Museum in Doncaster has chalked up some previous missions all of which featured conventional bombing. The thread these missions are documented has so to speak been Dated & Stamped and can be found under WW2 Missions with it's brand new title WGS Compatible Avro Vulcan B.2 - Missions Flown In 2015. Poised ready to fly ahead of when originally envisaged (May or June 2016) the last element of this equation which the aircraft required became available once again on February 8th 2016. Some may recall at this point how at the tail-end of the 2015 thread there was talk of clouds and silvery linings. It's even better than that ... Because the lining of the cloud actually turned out to be brass!

Until there is something to report let us keep the re-introductions brief for now. However I would like to add that I am looking forward to seeing what 2016 holds for this aircraft

Name:	100_7904.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	185998
    Last edited by Tonx; 02-11-2016 at 15:50. Reason: Facta non Verba - Deeds not Words.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

DATE: 09FEB16 MSG READS: Operation FLUGELHORN: Vulcan XH560 operating as Thunderball 560 from RAF Boddington. Aircraft to fly northbound and ascend to 5,000 feet and receive orders in the air. Until received aircraft to maintain 5,000 feet on heading advised with an airspeed not to exceed 200 knots. This is not a drill :MSG ENDS:

CREW T & F FLIGHT: Welcome Home Thunderball 560.

The Tin ... Sorry, Brass Triangle Returns.

Quite the fine-looking mod, Barney. Very nice!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Quite the fine-looking mod, Barney. Very nice!
    Thanks Christopher. Expect more after I have had a bit of a rest today as per the OPS Notice: We are not sure yet of what is happening after the northbound @ 5,000 ft instruction but hey-ho not long until we find out!

There will be a few photos - promise

I've said it elsewhere, but it's worth saying again... pleased to see you on the duty roster again. Welcome back.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I've said it elsewhere, but it's worth saying again... pleased to see you on the duty roster again. Welcome back.
    Thank you Chris it's great to be back and it just so happens that one of the most significant developments in XH560's operating history has resulted from her return to the sky today ...

Prepare for XH560: THE MOTION PICTURE which one of the Vulcan TOSH (Team & Order of Show Helpers) is just in the process of uploading to Youtube. Then I am posting a link onto here.

Was actually going to do a few mentions including yourself Chris during the filming but I was nervous and forgot - only just realised.

I hope the WingCo can forgive me just this once for borrowing the aspidistra AND the gramophone from the Mess to assist the Vulcan TOSH in the making of this three minute production.

It also features the voice of the late and great Pete Postlethwaite as the backing track taken from the film Brassed Off injects a really beautiful Yorkshire element into our production.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Wink XH560: THE MOTION PICTURE. February 9th 2016.

https://youtu.be/j9gE2HCdcSc

Join Vulcan TOSH (Team & Order of Show Helpers) Members Wg Cdr Coldwore with occasional inputs from Flt Lt Valiante as Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 departs on it's first flight since November 29th 2015. Thunderball 560 climbs away from it's base at RAF Boddington to the east and then to the north to an altitude of 5,000 feet. Though B forgot to mention RAF Bodders too because he was a bit nervous throughout this production - probably having borrowed both the aspidistra and the gramophone from the Mess in order to piece this quite unique production together. Both have now been returned safely by the Vulcan TOSH after the making of this three minute production.

Also featuring the voice of the late but still great Pete Postlethwaite at the start of the Concierto D'Aranjuez by Rodriguez which has been taken from the film Brassed Off and used as backing music. The 'Concerto D'Orange-Juice' as Postlethwaite's character refers to it as in the film features a solo Flugelhorn which of course was the official Operation Title for today - another thing which B forgot to mention though this is not as significant as forgetting RAF Boddington / dedications was!

The extract from Brassed Off was voted for use by the Vulcan TOSH over The Floral Dance by Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band and Portsmouth by Mike Oldfield. The reason being that this injected a sincere but nevertheless beautiful Yorkshire element into this production which appropriately and thoughtfully reflects upon XH560's connection with the South Yorkshire Air Museum.

So there we have it ... XH560: THE MOTION PICTURE as filmed today when this aircraft made a successful return to the WGS skies.

Rating: E - Everyone as there is no swearing or cheesy music for the Vulcan TOSH to be ashamed of. Just three minutes of pure class (and aspidistra and gramophone!)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Talking 'Mighty Vulcan B.2s' To Be Replicated In 2016 WGS Project: February 11th 2016.

Within days of Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 making it's much anticipated return to the skies of WGS comes some even more exciting news: It's confirmed - there are two more Vulcans are on the way!

According to XH560's new sponsors Chopper Squad work is poised to begin on the first of two airframes which unlike XH560 will require building before they are converted and adapted for WGS usage.

Name:	10. Mighty Vulcans 2016 Project Introduction.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	187280

Name:	11. Mighty Vulcans 2016 Project Bits ands Pieces.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	187281

Name:	12. Mighty Vulcans 2016 Project Rubric.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	187282

The first of the two develops the 617 Squadron RAF affiliation which is already strong within WGS due to the Avro Lancaster Dambuster Edition being available for the game. It comes in the shape of Avro Vulcan B.2 XM595 which historically was the final Vulcan built from new to carry the British Blue Steel nuclear deterrent. The colours she will be wearing date from the 1970s when the aircraft which was nicknamed Dumbo after the Walt Disney cartoon character was based at RAF Scampton. Many photographs in this era rather interestingly mis-place XM595 as serving with 27 Squadron - XH560's unit but this is now a known inaccuracy: XM595 never served with 27 Squadron and will carry 617 Squadron's toned-down markings along with it's camouflage-top / white underside with red / white / blue Roundels and Insignia on completion.

Name:	14. Mighty Vulcans Project 2016 XM595 Proposal.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	187288

The second one maintains the 617 Squadron RAF affiliation within WGS but at the same time introduces the second most replicated Avro Vulcan B.2 in terms of scale models: Somewhat inevitably XH558 tops this list followed closely by the anti-flash white liveried XL321. This Vulcan will indeed wear this colour scheme which dates from the 1960s when built and adapted for use within WGS along with 617 Squadron's original Avro Vulcan markings. At present all that can be confirmed is that two more Vulcans are involved in this latest Chopper Squad-backed project for 2016 and that these will be their identities: No dates have been set as yet regarding completion of these two airframes and when exactly they will become active.

Name:	13. Mighty Vulcans Project 2016 XL321 Proposal.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	187292

However there is one question which has been raised already about this project: Haven't we been here before already?

This of course relates to the abandoned and consequently failed Handley Page Victor Project HPV/K2 from last year. But during the three months for which it lasted Project HPV/K2 will prove to have been very different in comparison with this brand new two-aircraft venture - all that the two will share is the ethos behind them and the objective that they both set out to achieve. The two airframes involved in Project HPV/K2 were resin for starters and nobody in this neck of the woods had ever worked with this material before. There was also the mistake made in the usage of Humbrol acrylic paints instead of Revell and the end result which this decision achieved of a cheap and nasty glossy finish which looked like a bored 15 year old had painted it. Typical Humbrol BTW and their enamel paints can be just as bad regardless of what finish it says on the tin. The death-knell certainly of the first airframe was the sanding off of the Humbrol disaster which took much of the detailing with it. Finally there was the issue of the 1/200 scale decals costing in excess of Ł20.00 although by the time of the final airframe in the project's demise this had been reduced down to Ł9.50 by customising 1/72 scale Harrier GR1 / GR3 decals. An engineering accident killed off the final airframe in December 2015 amidst low morale and growing ill-health: Enough was enough at this point and Project HPV/K2 shut down.

So far this brand new project is nameless and this is the only article being released about it. The general feeling that Project HPV/K2 was far too bigged up contributes towards this far more low key introduction. But hopefully the end results will be just as exciting. Barney Dunkin whose role play acting as Wg Cdr Coldwore in XH560: THE MOTION PICTURE has yet to attract any don't quit your day-job comments spoke of an upbeat mood at Chopper Squad along with an aura of anticipation and excitement about this project being officially announced. Work is set to commence on Airframe 1 within the next three days.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Default Vulcan Flight Stands Supply Shifts To Aerodrome Accessories: February 15th 2016.

Just as it appeared that there was another major obstacle standing (pardon the pun) in the way of 2016s Avro Vulcan developments it has just as quickly been overcome. So far whilst in service original Avro Vulcan B.2 which will now change callsign to Pioneer 560 has been using a custom stand as designed by Eleven Trees Designs. It appears that they no longer make those any more leaving any further Avro Vulcans being developed stand-less!

A quick spot of research and a perfectly acceptable replacement has been found and two units ordered from Aerodrome Accessories - AA on February 16th 2016. So far one is required for XH560 and another required for the new Thunderball aircraft XM595 as good progress is currently being made on it. What is also highly beneficial about this new design and selection of stand is that they use the official altitude pegs only and there are no custom attachments in use which restrict operations to a minimum of 5,000 feet only!

Keith will be delighted at this news as well as the near-future requirement there is for at least two more as there is Avro Vulcan B.2 XL321 to cater for as well. The identity of the fourth Vulcan is rumoured at this point to be XM607 from the Operation Black Buck Raid on the Falkland Islands in 1982: Yes Vulcan 607 may be what is heading for the skies of WGS on an Aerodrome Accessories stand ...
    Last edited by Tonx; 02-15-2016 at 10:48. Reason: Eleven Trees Designs is still trading.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up February 19th 2016: Avro Vulcan B.2 XM595 Is Launched!

BREAKING NEWS: A second Avro Vulcan B.2 is poised to enter the skies of WGS after XM595 was officially launched today. The Vulcan was declared Game-Ready at 16:00 on February 19th 2016.

Name:	18. XM595 LAUNCH! February 19th 2016 Photo 1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	188091

The second of two WGS compatible Avro Vulcan B.2s carries a livery which dates from the early 1970s and rather interestingly 27 Squadron RAF Markings though she is commonly documented as having served with 617 Squadron RAF. The Vulcan also only carries one countermeasures suite which is mounted on the rear of the tail unlike XH560 which carries two. One detail that any rendition of XM595 cannot be without has also been included and this is representative of how this aircraft gained the nickname Dumbo whilst in service after the Walt Disney character. Flying Elephant logos can be seen on the tail and on the fuselage just behind the cockpit.

Name:	19. XM595 LAUNCH! February 19th 2016 Photo 2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	188092

With XM595 now active original Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 will now change call signs when in action: Up until now XH560 had been using Thunderball 560 but from now on will be using the brand new Pioneer 560 call sign. The Thunderball call sign will still be used but by XM595 - Thunderball 595.

Name:	20. XM595 LAUNCH! February 19th 2016 Photo 3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	188093

It just so happens that a famous face was able to be included in the launching of this aircraft: Earlier on in the day Barney Dunkin was talking to a good and rather well known friend of his from Grimsby when he happened to mention that this was going on in the passing. In response this friend offered to phone Barney back and did so enabling him to take part so that it can now be truthfully said that although XH560 may have been the first ... XM595 was launched by a celebrity.

With an ENORMOUS from Barney to Guy Martin for participating in this event. Yes ... THE Guy Martin! Barney has known him for a few years now

Don't tempt me to up the ante from WESTLANT with B-52s... whether stock or modified. ("Modified" meaning potentially either an "Old Dog" a la Dale Brown's novels, or the improved "Hunter-Killer" version an old retired fighter-jock prof and I hatched... a B-52 packed to the gills with AAMs and PGMs to kill any conceivable target whether land, sea, air or space? O.O )
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Exactly what crime would have been committed if some genius was to put a 1/200 Scale Boeing B-52 into the skies of WGS / into the game? NONE ... Because the B-52 is truly jaw-droppingly and awe inspiring.

I have read Dale Brown's novel Flight Of The Old Dog it is a good read. In fact in one of Dale Brown's novels one of the lead characters has the surname Dunkin. Hammerheads is my second favourite of his books - which others have you got or read out of interest please?

In the meantime our brand new Avro Vulcan B.2 XM595 will be flown for the first time on February 20th 2016 but using kit borrowed from XH560 for now - a stand is currently on the way for it and XM595 now has it's own R1 Manoeuver Deck to operate with. Plus an Airplane Card from Mike (OldGuy59) for which I am very grateful - I don't have to hand draw one myself now

LOL, no crime at all except that an Old Dog would be cheese with its air-to-air missiles, and an HK the gameplay would be "Put plane on table, declare I Win, run from flying shoes."

Re Brown, about the entire first half of his career--I quit when he got to the point of playing "how many main characters can I slaughter this time?" Think the last one I read was the one where Wendy died, and that's where I said "screw it, I'm outta here"--yes, you take casualties in war, but I read books to escape, to *have* that happy ending where everybody rides off into the sunset.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Exactly what crime would have been committed if some genius was to put a 1/200 Scale Boeing B-52 into the skies of WGS / into the game? NONE ... Because the B-52 is truly jaw-droppingly and awe inspiring.

I have read Dale Brown's novel Flight Of The Old Dog it is a good read. In fact in one of Dale Brown's novels one of the lead characters has the surname Dunkin. Hammerheads is my second favourite of his books - which others have you got or read out of interest please?

In the meantime our brand new Avro Vulcan B.2 XM595 will be flown for the first time on February 20th 2016 but using kit borrowed from XH560 for now - a stand is currently on the way for it and XM595 now has it's own R1 Manoeuver Deck to operate with. Plus an Airplane Card from Mike (OldGuy59) for which I am very grateful - I don't have to hand draw one myself now
    Loved that booK! Here's a photo from a long past thread comparing 1/144" scale bombers . . .

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Loved that booK! Here's a photo from a long past thread comparing 1/144" scale bombers . . .
    Congratulations David for making the Boeing B-52H look even more jaw-droppingly awesome ... Thanks too for posting a picture from which other comparisons are able to be made and the rest of us can watch and learn from: Repped.

Now so I am told there IS a 1:200 Scale kit of a B-52 which has been out of production for a few years now and is not all that easy to find. I think it may have been released by Hobby Craft which IIRC are a Canadian aircraft construction kit manufacturer. Academy Minicraft do manufacture a B-52 as well but I have a sneaky feeling that this is 1/144 Scale. Dragon Wings manufacture a 1/400 Scale B-52G / H in kit form.

Hmm, might have to look into that, if not available I would consider a go at a resin pour : ) I have a spot for it having been nearby when one crashed at Fairchild AFB . . . tragic day, awesome part of my childhood watching them launch during the cold war . . . Incredible sound, my dad said the same of the waves of B-36's over his dad's farm in the 40's. Airpower . . . astounding!

If memory serves, Minicraft is 1/144, Dragon 1/200.

https://www.scalemates.com/search-so...atofortress%22

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Default February 23rd 2016: XL321 May Have To Be Spray-Painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    If memory serves, Minicraft is 1/144, Dragon 1/200.

https://www.scalemates.com/search-so...atofortress%22
    Dragon 1/200 B-52 Stratofortress ... You are giving me ideas!

February 23rd 2016 saw an annoying setback develop regarding the second Avro Vulcan B.2 in the 2016 project XL321. Carrying the Anti-Flash White colours this Vulcan is proving harder to paint than XL595 did wearing camouflage. So far XL321 has had to be sanded once due to the type of brushy finish developing which was the start of the end for Project HPV/K2. Barney D is sure that it is not just him being pernickety and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this sort of work.

There is one solution and that is to airbrush the final coats of white onto XL321 and just use what has been sanded as undercoat. Fortunately somebody with spray-painting experience is known through Galactic Models and their assistance on this one will be requested. Because of the better grade of sandpaper used this time following the lessons learned from Project HPV/K2's downfall hardly any of the detailing on the fuselage has been lost this time.

In order to be declared Game Ready XL321 requires both a Manoeuver Deck and stand so it will take time to acquire these - the stand coming from AA. But now the decision has been taken to involve airbrushing it is not known when exactly this will be carried out. As far as can be seen this is the only way to achieve the smooth anti-flash white finish XL321 will not be released without. Barney D does however assure everyone that this project is not in any sort of major trouble at this stage. It is just that what happened with Project HPV/K2 before this has obviously dented his confidence at repainting and this is taking some time to return.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

STOP PRESS: AA Stands for Avro Vulcan B.2s XH560 and XM595 have arrived February 23rd 2016. This development sees both now declared fully operational / Game Ready.

Yell

Barney D is sure that it is not just him being pernickety and a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to this sort of work.
    Best advice to Barney D is to look ahead and concentrate instead of dwelling on that failed project. Learn the lessons there are to learn / reflect upon it - yes but don't dwell on it ... Roll on XL321

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Yell View Post
    Best advice to Barney D is to look ahead and concentrate instead of dwelling on that failed project.
    Be rest assured that Barney D has read and taken on board this sound advice

Roll On XL321!

Any chance of getting to 'Fireball' XL5?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    DO NOT TEMPT ME!!!!!!! Just happen to have the blueprints . . .

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Never considered that as a call sign - at this rate XL321's getting FIREBALL Something after three attempts at painting the swine!

Tell you what - First of these beauts to draw a Boom Card in action: Will change call sign to mark the occasion ...

Whilst I am on the subject: There is a problem photographing anti-flash white paint on an aircraft ... Wonder if anybody can spot it?

Name:	30. The Problem With Anti-Flash White!.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	189538

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Cool March 2nd 2016: Progress Made On XL321 As Identity Of Vulcan Four Is Revealed.

It's time for me to order two more stands from AA because anti-flash white Avro Vulcan B.2 XL321 will soon be in need of one ...

Name:	29. Avro Vulcan B.2 XL321 617 Sq RAF.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	189548

Name:	31. XL321 Underside Mods and Filler.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	189549

On the third attempt the anti-flash white coat of paint has settled acceptably and decaling has begun. Once that has been completed a coat of satin varnish (Vallejo) will be overpainted and the altitude peg modification applied.

As the second photo shows XL321 was equipped to carry a 1/200 scale Blue Steel missile but the altitude peg fitment prevented this and needed the recess filling in with Milliput. However this means that XL321 now has a flat as opposed to a bevelled underside allowing the altitude peg to be attached straight onto the aircraft. On the two occasions this has been done before the altitude peg needed to be customised in order to fit to the bevelled undersides of XH560 and XM595. This required a marge to be filed into the peg before careful attachment using superglue.

Today has also been the day when the identity of the fourth and I am sorry to say final Avro Vulcan of this 2016 Project was decided on ... With a little help from a friend. Well rather a famous friend as it happens! Because in his latest message to me Guy Martin suggested that XM655 which is the Vulcan preserved at Wellesbourne Mountford would make a great addition to the game. Guy's suggestion is probably based on the fact that he has actually performed a high-speed taxi-run in XM655 as part of his involvement with the documentary Guy Martin - Last Flight Of The Vulcan Bomber about XH558 before it's retirement last year. To date he remains the only civilian to have ever performed this manoeuver in a preserved British V-Bomber although he was closely supervised and under instruction throughout his time at the controls. The practice of high speed taxi-runs using British V-Bombers all began at Bruntingthorpe where Handley Page Victor K.2s were being preserved in working order following their retirement from RAF service in November 1993. Rather famously during one of these high-speed taxi runs and witnessed by a large crowd at Bruntingthorpe Handley Page Victor K.2 XL167 accidentally left the ground and was required to land again immediately having reached a height of around 50 feet!

The identity of the fourth Vulcan was rumoured at one point to be XM607 - the famous Vulcan 607 from the book by Rowland White. Whilst others were expecting XH558 which ceased flying in October 2015 but which is still on public display in Doncaster. But it is official now: The 2016 Project will now conclude with the following Avro Vulcan B.2s being game ready and fully WGS compatible - as supported all along by Chopper Squad.

XH560 - Pioneer 560: 27 Squadron RAF in 1980s RAF camouflage colours.

XL321 - Bullseye 321: 617 Squadron RAF in 1960s RAF anti-flash white colours.

XM595 - Thunderball 595: 617 Squadron in 24 Squadron RAF markings (as shared by the two) carrying 1970s RAF camouflage colours (with Dumbo logos!)

XM655 - Speedking 655: 101 Squadron RAF in 1980s RAF camouflage colours.

But like I said the first one of these four to receive a Boom Card gets FIREBALLed.
    Last edited by Tonx; 03-02-2016 at 20:40. Reason: Correct GM Documentary Title Added.

Yell

And don't forget The Joker

Guy Martin ... You might have your Bullseye Award up on your wall but I have got my signed photo of him on mine!

Yell

Whilst I am on the subject: There is a problem photographing anti-flash white paint on an aircraft ... Wonder if anybody can spot it?

Name:	30. The Problem With Anti-Flash White!.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	189538
    Yes I have spotted something ... That aircraft is already varnished! So exactly what part of XL321 has not been pre-built by DRAGON WARBIRDS 1/200 SCALE MODELS then?

Still looks very nice though - even though I strongly suspect this wasn't Built By Barn

The other rub is, if we don't set limits on our Philadelphia Experiments... I may be tempted to scratchbuild the monster a prof and I designed in college.

Remember what I said about a B-52 Hunter-Killer being an "I Win" piece? Well, Project Infiltrator is the I Win piece to bring against H-K's... in 1/200 scale, the damn thing is 2' of span and slightly more than that in length. O.O (Overall layout: imagine what would happen if an F-117 knocked up a Vulcan and the spawn of that unholy union was force-fed anabolic steroids and growth hormones from the moment of birth...) As specced, even a Kamikaze A-Wing-style strike to the bridge would just leave crud on the glass...

For the record, the Tin Triangle was a bugger to take down right to the end--in the early 1980s, a few came to play at SAC Bomb Comp when my prof had taken a Det from the 318th FIS with F-106s to try to intercept them... his team bagged two, and considered that more Bragging Rights than the half-dozen BUFFs on the scoreboard with 'em. (When we were putting together the Hunter Killer concept, he actually said that the Vulcan might be a better base airframe to start from, except that there are none available nor does the tech to build more still exist.)
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-02-2016 at 19:25.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

And don't forget The Joker
    Get back to work you skiving Motorhead fan!!!

Anyway I haven't forgotten The Joker as you have just named this little beaut (when I have finished BUILDING and PAINTING it) ...

Name:	23. 200 Size BOMB!.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	189557

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Yes I have spotted something ... That aircraft is already varnished!
    DRAT! Foiled Again ...

Yell

DRAT! Foiled Again ...
    GOTCHA!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

GOTCHA!
    For the first time today I have noticed!

Of the originally rumoured Vulcan identities I was hoping for XM597 as preserved at the National Museum of Flight at East Fortune near Edinburgh. Because then somehow we could have paid tribute to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHKxk719AMc

Johnny Cash - Wreck of The Old 97

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Wink Which Joker Shall We Choose Then?

So with The Joker currently having two possibilities which one of these two are we choosing to develop further?

Name:	32. Fireballs and Jokers!.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	189770

Name:	33. And Don't Forget The Joker!.jpg 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	189771

The Blue Steel missile on the left dates from the 1960s when the British v-Bomber fleet carried anti-flash white colours: It would typically be carried by XL321. The Blue Steel missile on the right dates from the 1970s and would typically be carried by XM595. At the moment I haven't a clue which manoeuver deck The Joker is going to use but as the saying goes I am never saying never - however it is important that a weapon is selected first to fulfil this role ...

Yell

So with The Joker currently having two possibilities which one of these two are we choosing to develop further?
    GO SILVER!

The Blue Steel missile on the left dates from the 1960s and appears to have a damn great dent in it! It would never have been carried in this state by XL321. The Blue Steel missile on the right dates from the 1970s and would typically be carried by XM595. At the moment I haven't a clue which manoeuver deck The Joker is going to use but you are working on it I know you are Barn. You did create XH560 from scratch after all

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

OK we are going Silver on The Joker. Well spotted Yell about the dent in the other missile

XH560 took a grand total of six weeks to put into the game. Stands for XL321 and the final Vulcan XM655 are now on the way from AA.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Thumbs up March 7th 2016: Vulcan To The Sky Trust Newsletter Article To Feature Pioneer 560.

Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 or Pioneer 560 as she is better known operationally appears to have gained herself rather an important fan.

With it could come a brand new fan-base of untold hundreds who may also probably become aware of the game for the first time. Which is why in response to the news editor at the Vulcan To The Sky Trust today Barney D has submitted full details of the Vulcan Into The Skies Of WGS story as well as made sure a good impression of WGS and who designed it / who supports it were included too.

It is not clear how the VTTS Trust which is still responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of real world Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 first became aware of XH560. But with Members of the Royal Aeronautical Society and some key figureheads within Aviation and Aerospace within it's Membership somebody has obviously looked through the Who's Who of Aviation and found Barney D still listed under Angel Transport Projects. The Trust has also been made aware of the fact that though they are all restricted to usage as conventional bombers to maintain compliancy and stick with the ethos of WGS there is XM595 now too with XL321 only days away from making it's game entry. On the day this was written both XM655 turned up ready for conversion and two more stands for the last two aircraft were ordered from Aerodrome Accessories - AA.

Name:	7. Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 airbornes from base.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	190169

The first illustration included in Barney D's response shows XH560 airborne soon after it made it's first take-off on September 3rd 2015.

Name:	18. Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 and a blazing target.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	190170

The second shows XH560 bombing the first target it was deployed against with successful results again on September 3rd 2015.

Name:	20. Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 leaving target area ... Part 1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	190171

The third photo which the VTTS Trust will see of XH560 is a good view giving an overall impression of what the aircraft looks like. Only photos of XH560 have been submitted and not a word breathed about XH560: THE MOTION PICTURE just in case!

The end result of what has happened so far is likely to be a newsletter article which people will receive by e-mail over the next couple of months. It will also be featured briefly on the website before being archived under the General News section. Barney D commented briefly that It looks like we have put Pioneer 560 back into action at just the right time: Because this is a total change in the aircraft's fortune given the way things seemed to be looking just months ago.

The aircraft was grounded but returned to flight in February 2016.
    Last edited by Tonx; 03-08-2016 at 03:14. Reason: Typo!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Default March 8th 2016: Avro Vulcan B.2 XL321 Nearing Game-Readiness.

Anti-flash white Avro Vulcan B.2 XL321 is nearing a state of game readiness as the following photo shows. In the background another current project is taking shape healthily regarding Air Sea Rescue Supermarine Spitfire Mk IIc aircraft.

Name:	37. Little and Large In The Man Cave.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	190196

XL321 will share bomb and target cards with XH560 / XM595 and use the manoeuver deck from XH560 after the modifications are finished and it has been equipped with the stand which has been ordered for it from Aerodrome Accessories / AA. However thanks to Mike (OldGuy59) it does have it's own aircraft or airplane card. XL321 will of course have it's own manoeuver deck one day but this is subject to whenever I feel like cannibalising another Focke-Wulf Fw.190D after the one just recently for XM595 ...

The fourth and final Vulcan which was revealed recently as XM655 has arrived but work has yet to begin on this aircraft. It will carry 101 Squadron RAF colours and share cards with XH560 but will be equipped with it's own stand and aircraft card. Of the four Vulcans which will be operational within WGS after this 2016 Project's completion XM655 will be the only one which still exists in preservation. It is anticipated that XM655 should be game ready by the end of this month or in early April 2016.

Yell

[B]It is not clear how the VTTS Trust which is still responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of real world Avro Vulcan B.2 XH558 first became aware of XH560. But with Members of the Royal Aeronautical Society and some key figureheads within Aviation and Aerospace within it's Membership somebody has obviously looked through the Who's Who of Aviation and found Barney D still listed under Angel Transport Projects.
    This all sounds very prestigious especially the Royal Aeronautical Society ... GO GO XH560! Is this the first time Wings of Glory has been represented in such a high profile way by someone from the Aerodrome?

Can I be a member of TEAM VULCAN if this materializes?
    Last edited by Yell; 03-08-2016 at 01:55. Reason: Because I eradicated a bad joke.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Is this the first time Wings of Glory has been represented in such a high profile way by someone from the Aerodrome?

Can I be a member of TEAM VULCAN if it does?
    Righty ... No. Then Yes

You could do with meeting Chris (Boney10) who deals with the Aerodrome's UK events and asking him about this. Same as whoever got us into ORIGINS in the USA and CANCON in Canberra - both of which are known internationally and I bet these are not the only ones. There was also September 15th last year (Battle of Britain Day / our wedding anniversary too) when Battle of Britain expert Simon (Strangelybrown) took WGS to the Royal Air Force Museum at Cosford - Marion and I went along and played. There are two RAF Museums: Hendon which is down in London and Cosford for us Northerners. Whether or not this new exposure for the game will result in an actual event like it did for Simon & Team I am not sure but XH560 looks set to be the vehicle which carries awareness of the game further afield and like you say to other auspices and echelons ...

Team Vulcan Idea ... Yes seeing as you suggested it. Not sure if a team will be needed beyond what Chopper Squad are already silent partners in but if one is I know where to look
    Last edited by Tonx; 03-08-2016 at 03:15. Reason: Typo!

Not as colourful as these though.

Name:	xl5 1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	190204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xl5gp1s.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	190205

Name:	32. Fireballs and Jokers!.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	189770

Name:	33. And Don't Forget The Joker!.jpg 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	189771

The Blue Steel missile on the left dates from the 1960s when the British v-Bomber fleet carried anti-flash white colours: It would typically be carried by XL321. The Blue Steel missile on the right dates from the 1970s and would typically be carried by XM595. At the moment I haven't a clue which manoeuver deck The Joker is going to use but as the saying goes I am never saying never - however it is important that a weapon is selected first to fulfil this role ...

Yell

Righty ... No. Then Yes
    Righty ... Two inspirations spotted in the same paragraph Barn. IIRC Chris ran the WGS game at Doncaster 2015 with bombers in it. Simon for Battle of Britain Day though like you mention he had assistance from his wife and Welsh Dragon <-?

Righty II ... Barn change the ending of the XH560 Goes Royal item! HEY! My first duty as a Team Vulcan member was just carried out!!!
    Last edited by Yell; 03-08-2016 at 03:28. Reason: Bashed this up and started again!

Yell

Not as colourful as these though.
    Cannot agree more - are these from Thunderbirds?

So here we have the impressive FIREBALL XL5 though if you look side on IMHO it resembles The Joker. Next thing we know we will be on Jindiviks ... Whatever one of those is

One problem if my builds happen... as the Old Dog's creator put it, "We don't have a tail number... we don't even look like a real B-52."

Be interesting to see how you handle those Blue Steels... might yield some ideas for Old Dog and Reaper's more long-range weaponry too. On top of the pure creative interest seeing another of our mad geniuses at work... now if only I could find a Super Stallion in 1/200 for another of my little mutant nightmare butcherbirds.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

HEY! My first duty as a Team Vulcan member was just carried out!!!
    It certainly has! Welcome to Team Vulcan as great minds think alike / two pairs of eyes are better than one

I would SO SO like to see a Super Stallion (MH-53J helicopter) in 1/200 scale - another of my old favourites from my modern military aviation days. In fact any CH-53 variant would be nice and on October 22nd 2015 when Marion and I went along to the TOTS Event (The One True Scale) at Midland Aviation Museum in Coventry I was silently looking for one. Or a Sea King. Closest they could come up with though was either a Westland Whirlwind for Ł45.00 ready-painted or a Westland Wessex which we never saw because it had been sold. Publicised on here under Y'all Come To ... TOTS Event or something similar which actually gave the impression that the event was being held across The Pond! Nope - it was in Coventry and if it returns this year Wings of Glory / WGS may very well have a presence there c/o Marion and Myself

Offtopic: Supe's actually the 3-engine CH-53E, PL was the survivors of the AF's 2-engine Super Jolly Green Giant CSAR force. Differences are an extra rotor blade, a kinked gull-wing tail on the Echo and a revised "sail" (all carried over to the new fat-sponson King Stallion), some subtleties of rear hull shape and the Echo/Sea Dragon/King (Sikorsky model S-80) are just a skosh bigger than the two-engine S-65. (Interestingly, both reuse the basic backbone, machinery raft/powertrain and cockpit of the S-64 Skycrane.)

You're gonna laugh at this... a beast I had hatched (with some help from a former Sikorsky development engineer) on a fiction board where I used to be one of their tech advisors was a fully-automated (not "NOLO"/"drone", but completely autonomous) Echo airframe, with a King powertrain and a Pave Low avionics package grafted on a.nd a fourth engine added, where the onboard computer had spontaneously achieved human-level AI--and decided it wanted to become a profiler with the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit. Give ya one guess on the big brute's name... LOL

Yell

Give ya one guess on the big brute's name... LOL
    Marine One.

Doesn't matter about the OFFTOPIC this is fascinating. Took me about 30 minutes to come up with that answer and I bet it's not even close

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

You're gonna laugh at this... a beast I had hatched (with some help from a former Sikorsky development engineer) on a fiction board where I used to be one of their tech advisors was a fully-automated (not "NOLO"/"drone", but completely autonomous) Echo airframe, with a King powertrain and a Pave Low avionics package grafted on a.nd a fourth engine added, where the onboard computer had spontaneously achieved human-level AI--and decided it wanted to become a profiler with the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit. Give ya one guess on the big brute's name... LOL
    No ... Not Marine One as that actually exists: Built by Sikorsky this is a unique S-70 Whitehawk but which is supported by two British built Westland Merlin (EH101) helicopters.

It's probably going to be the title of a novel or in the title of a novel is my initial guess. Thinking in the Dean Koontz / Dale Brown direction ... I do wish I knew where my collection of Dale Brown novels has got to these days? It's really bugging me now not knowing where they are! Sounds a bit too modern'ish for the likes of Craig Thomas (the author of Firefox) or Clive Cussler (who mentions the Boeing 757 as a futuristic airliner in Raise The Titanic!)

Fireball XL5 was way before Thunderbirds and before that was Supercar. Fireball XL5 was followed by Thunderbirds and Stingray.
    Although alive I was to young to remember Supercar but can remember XL5, it being my favourite and in black and white.

Cannot agree more - are these from Thunderbirds?

So here we have the impressive FIREBALL XL5 though if you look side on IMHO it resembles The Joker. Next thing we know we will be on Jindiviks ... Whatever one of those is

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Fireball XL5 was way before Thunderbirds and before that was Supercar. Fireball XL5 was followed by Thunderbirds and Stingray.
    Although alive I was to young to remember Supercar but can remember XL5, it being my favourite and in black and white.
    I'm learning here as I had never heard of Fireball XL5 (which as a call sign I originally thought was connected with a car) or Supercar before then. Jerry Anderson's Thunderbirds was before my time but I remember seeing re-runs of the original on television when I was very young. FAB ... and all that

Stingray I do remember as I think Jerry Anderson was the brains (pardon the pun) behind this too. Then we start getting more into cartoons like Battle of the Planets in terms of what I used to watch as a child ... Trans-Mute!

I think David Manley may very well be our resident Stingray expert. I would still very much like to see his Stingray game in motion at some point - if you read this David when are you next taking it to an event please?

Jindiviks were pilotless target drones built in Australia and first flown in 1957. They were extensively used there as well as in the UK until the middle of the 1980s by the Ministry of Defence / RAF and I think they may have been used by the Royal Navy too. If anybody fancies salvaging the remains of one many are known to lie off the North Wales coast between the Mawddach Estuary (Barmouth - Abermaw) and the Lleyn Peninsula (Pwllheli and Criccieth etc.) They were once flown from the now disused Llanbedr airfield when it was a DERA establishment in their DROVES! I understand that the same may be said for Port Hedland in Western Australia - though somebody correct me please if I am wrong about this location.

Not sure when Stingray will be running again. I don't think it will be this year, I don't like to take the same game to a show 2 years running (WSF excepted of course)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Avro Vulcan Retires
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 03-07-2016, 19:45
  2. Multiplayer: WGS-Compatible Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560: Missions Flown During 2015.
    By Tonx in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-08-2016, 19:51
  3. Last Vulcan flight
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2015, 12:25
  4. Making my unique Staaken R.VI
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 00:52
  5. 1/144 planes - unique offer!