Ares Games

Thread: Axis (Pacific Theater Operations) pre-campaign scenario

Default Axis (Pacific Theater Operations) pre-campaign scenario

23:59, 7 Dec. 1941

The recognizable sound of a Betty started like the light buzz of a distant June Bug in the darkness. As the buzz grew louder you could almost feel an urgency in its return to base. After recognition signals were exchanged flares were lit and the Betty made a gentle landing.
    The night reconnaissance patrol came back with some good information. On one of the many small islands off of the Philippines the Americans had built a small airstrip.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1-A.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	185724

Name:	P1-B.JPG 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	185725

Name:	P1-C.JPG 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	185726

Orders were given to attack and destroy as many planes on the ground as possible. The Kotoukatai was in a frenzied buzz as this meant war with America!
    Only two planes were to be sent. Surprise was of the essence.
    Nobumichi Tanaka, being the most senior pilot was correct in expecting to be on the mission. He was here at an airbase on Formosa to choose worthy recruits to join his squadron of the 601st Kokutai on the Shokaku. He was a bit upset that he was not with the Shokaku at this historic moment but took his assignment seriously. He would look over the available pilots and have them transferred to the Shokaku as soon as possible.
    Assigned to him on this morning’s mission was Kazuo Hirohata, a brave but somewhat reckless young pilot.

They took off just before dawn, flying low. Minutes seemed like hours as the pair prayed not to be noticed. As the island came into view Nobu signaled Kazuo and they both climbed to attack altitude.
    Planes were lined up along the runway with little activity, surprise had been achieved!

Name:	P1-1.JPG 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	185723

Attacking from the south, the rising sun illuminated the parked planes making them easy targets.
    Moments before pulling the trigger Nobu saw a handful of figures running to man a gun position he passed over. He lingered in thought a split second too long as he overshot hit target and missed.
    Luckily Kazuo scored a solid hit on his.

Name:	P1-2.JPG 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	185727

Name:	P1-2b.JPG 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	185728

Kazuo aimed at the missed plane and both pummeled it, destroying it in a couple of seconds. “Nice shooting”! Nobu complimented Kazou over the radio to help his confidence.

Name:	P1-5.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	185729

Immediately across the runway were more targets. Nobu set one American on fire destroying it and Kazuo put a few holes into his.

Name:	P1-6.JPG 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	185730

As they passed over the airfield the gun crew sent up a hurried shot at Nobu but badly missed. Nobu did notice the black puff off to his left knowing full well what it meant.

Name:	P1-7.JPG 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	185731

Kazuo pulled up just in time to meet a returning American. The P-40, returning from a morning patrol flew straight into a pair of Zeros. Nobu seeing it approach, swayed left setting up a flank attack.
    Kazuo and the P-40 exchanged fire with Kazuo liking the result.

Name:	P1-8.JPG 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	185732

“Don’t fly head on into their guns”! screamed Nobu. “Use your agility”!
    Kazuo heard nothing and only saw the oncoming American.
    As Kazuo and the American passed very close by each other Nobu noticed the lightly damaged plane on the ground taxiing to the runway.

Name:	P1-9.JPG 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	185733

Both Kazuo and the American set up to turnover while Nobu set up to attack the plane starting down the runway.

Name:	P1-10.JPG 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	185734

As the P-40 completed his turn Nobu was right in front of him. The two exchanged fire to Nobu’s dismay as he wanted the lower target.

Name:	P1-11.JPG 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	185735

Nobu, distracted by the P-40 above missed his opportunity to pounce on the 2nd taking off. He had to settle on destroying the last of the parked planes.

Kazuo thought he would use Nobu as a shield and surprise the American. He scored some good hits but the sturdy P-40 could take it. Take it, and give it. The American wasn’t fooled by Kazuo’s ploy and ripped into the Zero’s fuel tank and Kazuo’s craft exploded, falling into the water just missing the island.

Name:	P1-12.JPG 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	185736

Nobu turned around and looked around for Kazuo but only saw the black smoke trail heading to the sea. With two P-40s in the air Nobu felt the odds were now against him.

Name:	P1-13.JPG 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	185746

As Nobu thought of how he could get an advantage against the two enemy another shell burst off to his right.

Name:	P1-14.JPG 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	185738

With the gun manned and two enemy aircraft, Nobu did not like the odds. Seeing the airfield littered with burning wrecks he thought it better to head back while he still could. Flying into a cloud losing the two Americans, Nobu vowed to avenge poor Kazuo.

Name:	P1-15.JPG 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	185739

Name:	P1-16.JPG 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	185740

Butcher’s Bill

Name:	P1-17.JPG 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	185741
    Three P-40s destroyed on the ground.

Name:	P1-18.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	185742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1-19.JPG 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	185743
    Two Americans RTB

Name:	P1-21.jpg 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	185744
    Nobumichi Tanaka RTB 0 kills

Name:	P1-20.jpg 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	185745
    Kazuo Hirohata SD EXP
    Dr 6 -2EXP -1 sea -1 rookie = 2 = kia
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-23-2016 at 20:37.

Great action Peter!
    I thought you had that one in the bag the way things were going, then as usual, that tragic boom. Exactly what destroyed my plane in this mission. Nevertheless 3 destroyed on the ground will undoubtedly help the war effort.

Great AAR! I loved the b&w reconnaissance photographs. They add great flavor to the report.

Thumbs up

Another great action filled AAR Pete!
    Loved the first two sepia photos.
    I thought you had the Americans done & dusted but they bit back rather hard!

Rep incoming!

Thanks all. I was feeling confidant with two destroyed on the ground then it all turned around with one Boom! I've been looking for a way to use the sepia filtering for a while now so a night time recon mission seemed fitting. After my strategic retreat I remembered I could have negated the 5 damage chit with 'Evasion'. Doh! Had I remembered I probably would have fought on with only 2 hits. Hopefully I won't forget again.
    3 for one is a good exchange rate. The Emperor will smile on the 601st.

Nice job and effects, Peter.
    Your photos really tell the story well.
    As others mentioned, your use of the sepia filter for the recon shots was very interesting.

Is that sandpaper you used for the landing strip ?

P.S. I like the hangar as well.

Great AAR!
    The photos and the text are very cool! Banzai!
    REP of course!

Shokaku is blooded. Onwards and upwards Peter. Great start to the campaign. I'll post up the results soon.
    See you on the Dark Side......

LOOP

Great action Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nice job and effects, Peter.
    Your photos really tell the story well.
    As others mentioned, your use of the sepia filter for the recon shots was very interesting.

Is that sandpaper you used for the landing strip ?

P.S. I like the hangar as well.
    Thanks Pete. The landing strip is poster board with actual sand glued on to it. I now have some coral sand so want to make another that will look more the part. I built a terrain board for Peleliu (I play Battlefront WW2) and used the coral sand on the beaches and I think it looks quite nice.

Name:	pel04.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	185781

Name:	pel05.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	185782

I'll have to use this board for some WGS fights!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Great AAR!
    The photos and the text are very cool! Banzai!
    REP of course!
    Thank you Joaquim. I'm honored to be on your team!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Shokaku is blooded. Onwards and upwards Peter. Great start to the campaign. I'll post up the results soon.
    On to see how the Shokaku attack fares at Pearl. Banzai!

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Great action Peter
    Thanks P-G. When are you going to get involved in a solo campaign? Also I haven't given up on an email game, but it will have to wait a few more years until I can retire. The last one I ran was too much to do while still working.

Love the board Peter for Peleliu. Full on action there. Pearl can be tricky too...watch those enemy aircraft.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I'll have to use this board for some WGS fights!
    Yes you will! Maybe at HAVOC...

Great AAR, Peter. Certainly REP-worthy.

Good call Chris. I'll dust this off for Havoc. Not really Guadalcanal but it will work.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thanks P-G. When are you going to get involved in a solo campaign? .
    Trust me I want to. But right now it is completely out of the question. I don't have the time. I have 6 kids to look after and a 7th on the way. I steal myself some WoG-time now and then but I can't keep anything standing. There just isn't any space. I try to plant some seeds in the older kids but well... there are other things that catch their attention
    I'm not complaining. We live a very happy life but I couldn't squeeze out AARs in the manner so many of you do. I have made a resolution a post at leased 1 AAR this year and that I will do my best to keep.
    So again, I want to but I have no chance to keep the pace that so many if you deliver amazing AARs in. But that don't stop me from enjoying them. Big time
    Last edited by LOOP; 01-24-2016 at 14:26.

Nice AAR! I will be doing mine quite soon. Those are some great backdrop settings, hope you don't if I steal some of those ideas.

Today lil GR and I flew a sortie while we watched the NFL Football (american) Championships, after sledding of course as we got snow this weekend. We worked in tandem and took on a B17, it flew off the first time, so we tried it again, and got the Boom card for it. . Always nice. Not so good for you today though.
    Last edited by Gotham Resident; 01-25-2016 at 08:08.

Very nice AAR Peter. As all the others have said anice start o the campaign, if you are IJN

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Similar Missions

1. European Theater of Operations. Scenario writing
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 02:54
  2. WW2 Campaigns Pacific Theater of Operations (PTO) collecting point
    By Marechallannes in forum Fire in the Skies
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 02:24
  3. Pacific Theater of Operations Scenario writing 1941 - mid 1943