Ares Games

Thread: Re.2001 fighter bomber

Default Re.2001 fighter bomber

EDIT: Oops - I put this in Post-WWII instead of WWII.

Hi all,

A question if I may: I'm after a few Re.2001 with a bomb attached, and I've seen that the starter-set version has one, and the black Metellini one does not. Does the CN Cerretani?

Also, I know the Stuka deck has specific cards for bombing; does the Re.2001?

Sorry folks; none of my friends have this plane.

Kind regards,
    Muerto

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hello Ray. No Cerretani Edition has no bomb underneath. Same configuration as Metellini.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks for the feedback!

I can probably kit-bash them.

I am sorry, Ray, but I am pretty sure that the game treats the Re.2001 as a fighter and so there are no bombs on the models and no specific bombing cards even though the Re.2001 could carry a few bombs like many fighters in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I am sorry, Ray, but I am pretty sure that the game treats the Re.2001 as a fighter and so there are no bombs on the models and no specific bombing cards even though the Re.2001 could carry a few bombs like many fighters in WW2.
    True, the Re.2001 is a fighter... and I can't confirm the presence (or absence) of bombs on any of those models (I can look tomorrow), but the Kuznetsov Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb is modeled with a couple of bombs under each wing... so there is some precedent. Its deck does not however, as David says, have bomb cards in it.

I certainly intend to consider the upcoming P-47 as a Jabo ("Jabo" is derived from the German Jäger-Bomber or jagdbomber (depending upon who you ask), or "fighter-bomber" (literally, "hunter-bomber") and use it to harass ground targets.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post

I certainly intend to consider the upcoming P-47 as a Jabo ("Jabo" is derived from the German Jäger-Bomber or jagdbomber (depending upon who you ask), or "fighter-bomber" (literally, "hunter-bomber") and use it to harass ground targets.

FYI:
    I did a study on the Air Force doctrine of Interdiction on my Basic Aerospace Studies course a few years back.

Wikipedia - Operation Strangle (World War II)

www.imdb.com - Thunderbolt!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    FYI:
    I did a study on the Air Force doctrine of Interdiction on my Basic Aerospace Studies course a few years back.

Wikipedia - Operation Strangle (World War II)

www.imdb.com - Thunderbolt!
    Very cool. Haven't seen Thunderbolt! in, like, forever...

I have checked all three of my Re.2001 models, Ray, and none of them have bombs on the underside of their wings.

I've had a dig around and there were various versions adapted for bombing, but none had dive brakes, so I doubt they could do fast dive attacks.
    The best you could probably do is just use the standard level bombing rules.

Thanks everyone!

An interesting little aircraft, even more so because Ares has certainly produced many fold more copies than Reggiane did.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Paul - none of the Regianne Re.2001 Falco IIs have Stuka-style special cards for bombing. Not even the WW2 Starter Pack edition though this comes with a set of generic bombing cards identical to the ones found in the WW2 / WGS RAP.

Sorry for late response but I noticed in your OP you asked about cards citing the Stuka as an example / comparison.

Like with the Kuznetsov Hawker Hurricane Mk II there are some interesting variations amongst some of the other Ares Games and Nexus Games aircraft such as the Messerschmitt Bf.110 where one edition carries additional fuel tanks and bombs. One of the Fiat CR.42 Falco biplanes also comes armed with bombs unlike the other two. In the Nexus Games direction the Sugaroni Stuka comes fitted with additional fuel tanks. But yet only the Stuka as a dive-bomber has it's own specific manoeuver deck: All of these others are able to use the generic bombing cards.

Thanks for the information, Tonx. It makes sense - there are bombers and there are dive bombers.

It does raise the question though: which of the Bf.110 and Fiat Falco variants have the bombs? The pictures never show the ventral side.

I'm interested in the Bf.110 as a stop-gap until we get a Pe-2 or Il-2 (which they will surely announce any day now), as shown here:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=3641
    It'd be good to have one with bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Muerto View Post
    It does raise the question though: which of the Bf.110 and Fiat Falco variants have the bombs? The pictures never show the ventral side.

I'm interested in the Bf.110 as a stop-gap until we get a Pe-2 or Il-2 It'd be good to have one with bombs.
    WGS202A Bf110C-4 (Schupp) is your Huckleberry - 6 bombs, 2 drop tanks. (Green splinter camo)

WGS202C Bf110C-4 (Radusch) has no external ordnance (Black nightfighter)
    WGS202B Bf110C-7 (Christl) also has none (Desert sand camo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0186.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	186292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0188.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	186293

sorry - don't have any Falcos!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

FIAT Falcos - next time I get the chance I will take some photos for you. Unless of course I am beaten to it by other Members' contributions

Oh Nooooo! The Post Placement Police (POO-PLA-POO) might come out and make snarky remarks to you.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    Oh Nooooo! The Post Placement Police (POO-PLA-POO) might come out and make snarky remarks to you.
    Referring to the posting of this thread in the wrong forum.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Admin Staff Request: Please may we re-title this thread WGS: Aircraft Miniature Comparisons and move it to a better location. Reason being it is valuable information particularly for new players who would otherwise have a hard time gleaning this information from elsewhere. I've placed a couple of threads in the wrong forum during the early days of my Membership too. Nothing unfavourable was said as one thread was merged with another ... With the other turning into Circuits and Bumps.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

FIAT CR.42 Falco biplane comparison photos - showing all three editions. Two fitted with bombs and one without.

Name:	3. Fiat CR.42 Falco Comparison 1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	186640

Name:	4. Fiat CR.42 Falco Comparison 2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	186641

It's kind of ironic that we move from one Falco II to the other Falco yet we stay on topic rather cleverly. There are other which feature obvious differences like the Heavy Bombers for example. But as Tim's photos above show those differences with the Messerschmitt Bf.110 and these differences are impossible to pick up from the stock photos so widely in use on places like E-Bay.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

This has inspired me ... To provide photos of what started this thread off to begin with. Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II comparison photos - showing all three editions. One fitted with bombs and two without.

Name:	6. Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II Comparison 1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	186642

Name:	7. Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II Comparison 2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	186643

Footnote: Number 1 comes from the WGS Starter Set. Number 3 is a repainted Metellini Edition (as tellable from the card still) which has not been altered in any other way. So no additional fitments to this edition either.

The Reggiane 2001 GV was a curious variant developed by Lieutnant Galimberti and Lieutnant Vaccari to be used against aicraft carriers. They were supposed to dive to 200 meters of height, then fly level toward the ship and drop the bomb so that it pierced the side of the carrier itself. The bomb is a special 630 kg kind. The fighter would have been agile, sturdy and well armed so to escape well after the action.
    Robone and Vaccari flew two of them against the Victorious dropping the bomb at a height of 20 meters and a distance of 80. Robone probably missed the target, while Vaccari's bomb had some sort of malfunctioning and did not explode.

Details here (in Italian):
    http://www.aereimilitari.org/forum/t...o-ii/?p=164638

Revisiting this as a thread for showing the differences between the variants of models, does anyone have the different Gloster Gladiators?

And, echoing Tonx above, can we get this thread renamed and moved?

Thanks folks.

If you can obtain a Furuta Bf110 model, it is about the correct scale and it comes with two small bombs.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 01:48
  2. Fighter and bomber squadron groups
    By PanzerRanger in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2014, 02:34
  3. Possible night-fighter vs bomber scenario
    By Biggles downunder in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 01:11
  4. Replies: 7