Ares Games

Thread: First time modeler has some questions...

Default First time modeler has some questions...

Hello,

I'm currently working on my first WoW projects - a Valom Nieuport 17 kit and a shapeways Nieuport 17 (to see which route I like better). This is the first time I've ever painted a model, and the first time I've assembled a model since I was a kid. I've read a lot of the relevant threads on this website and others, and am getting started now. I currently have the primer coat done on both projects, and have started to hand paint a few of the smaller parts of the Valom kit. I haven't assembled anything yet. I intend to airbrush the fuselage and wings of both the Valom kit and the Shapeways model, but will probably brush the small parts (prop, wheels, seat, etc). I'm using acrylic paints (Vallejo Model Color and Testors acrylics). Pointers and tips are welcome.

I have a couple of questions for you all:

1) On the Valom kits, do you prefer to paint it all before assembling, assemble it all before painting, or some combination of the two? (Can you elaborate on your method?)

2) I know that Pledge/Future is a popular finish - but isn't it a glossy / semi gloss finish? I'm concerned it will be too shiny and not match the luster of the Ares/Nexus models. I picked up some Testors flat clear acrylic but I'm not sure this is correct either. My main goal is to match the luster of the WoW models if possible. Some guidance here is appreciated.

This first run is more of an experiment and there will be some trial and error, but I'm looking to avoid as much error as possible. Thanks for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    2) I know that Pledge/Future is a popular finish - but isn't it a glossy / semi gloss finish? I'm concerned it will be too shiny and not match the luster of the Ares/Nexus models. I picked up some Testors flat clear acrylic but I'm not sure this is correct either. My main goal is to match the luster of the WoW models if possible. Some guidance here is appreciated.
    Remember your finish will be whatever you put on last.
    Gloss varnish is good for sealing WSF, and for decals. Matte varnish is better for end looks.
    I would seal with the gloss varnish, undercoat with the main colour, detail, gloss varnish again to take the decals, then matte varnish. Possibly with spots of gloss varnish for lights etc. You can varnish between paint layers too. Think of it as save points

Also remember some layers may need multiple coats, either varnish or paint. But that is a personal preference, depending on colour & finish you are looking for.

1) The differing Valom plane types require different methods. On the Fokker DVIIs I have done, I applied the lozenge decals to the wings BEFORE assembly.
    I paint a pilot before assembly, adding him in during construction, then paint the fuselage.
    On a Nieuport 17, I would paint AFTER assembly if all-silver, or ; if PC10/CDL, I would assemble up to and including the fuselage + lower wing; paint it, and paint the upper wing, then add the upper wing to the main body.

2) A Satin varnish is a closer finish to the Nexus/Ares models. Try it instead of a Matt finish.

Having said that, I Matt finish all mine!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Brian as somebody else whose not very experienced with building and painting for the game I just want to wish you the best of luck. Hope all goes according to plan

"I know that Pledge/Future is a popular finish"

I use this to seal shapeways models, then paint and finish with my normal varnish after painting.

Ian

I find the Vallejo matt varnish actually gives a slightly lustred finish. It's certainly not fully matt.
    I'm also doing a Valom Fokker.VII at the moment and have painted the fuselage first then fitted the pre-painted lower wing. Next step will be decaling the undersides of both wings. Finally the etched parts will have to be attempted. Not looking forward to that bit!

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm in the middle of a Valom Nieport 17 and a S.E.5a now. Hopefully it will be worth posting pictures when I'd done

Similar Missions

1. DH-2 questions???
    By Propjockey53 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 13:48
  2. Just a few questions...
    By SellSword in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 17:26
  3. Few questions
    By DangerMouse in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 9